Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's Official! I've stumped the TurboTax tech support people--program won't open

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

I may have to do the online version. Never went that route before, but it looks like I'm left with little else to do.

Wow, that is really a unique issue. Unless the cd set up the corruption and the download can't get past it.
Make sure they refund you the cd cost before you do the online version. You don't pay upfront, but once you go through the effort, you pay at the end before sending it. That is not the time to find out they will not reimburse you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

No, the CD didn't cause anything, because I first tried to install via download. I couldn't even install it because of a "bootstrapper error" issue. (The so-called fix was the .NET framework resolution, which didn't work anyway.) After that didn't work, I bought the CD and was able to install it, but that wouldn't launch, just like the Premier version via download won't launch.

At least I'm not alone in not being able to launch the program. Their Community Forum shows several others with the same issue and the inability to fix it. TurboTax has GOT to do something.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#43 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

At least I'm not alone in not being able to launch the program. Their Community Forum shows several others with the same issue and the inability to fix it. TurboTax has GOT to do something.

A couple years ago I ran into a lessor online trouble with them as well. I forget the details, but it involved importing wash sales data from online stock sales.
Every time I tried to use the tech support, they acted like it was a new issue. Once I got one of those community forums, I found out it was a huge issue they new damn well about and were giving everyone the run around. I think in the end when it never got fixed that year, it was an outside vendor that was to be blamed. But the community comes to realize it was the outsourcing of the tech support and their mushroom in a closet status that frustrated the whole situation.

I bet there has been not a single person you have spoken to with anything close to an English accent.

#44 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

Actually, when I called today and got somebody in India, I firmly but politely demanded to speak to a U.S. based tech support representative. I got Eve from Syracuse, New York. After some time on the phone, and her consulting others in her department, she was the one who told me to go to Microsoft.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#45 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

Any reason you want to use the disc over the online version? I transitioned to the online version several years ago and haven't looked back.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#46 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

The reasons might all be irrelevant now, seeing that I'm unable to get the program to launch.

#47 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

Look into Data Execution Prevention. Some reading material:

http://windows.micro...ention-settings

http://www.itechtalk...thread3591.html

http://www.sevenforu...ep-enabled.html

http://www.updatexp....exceptions.html

http://social.techne...0f-9c5224e1f403
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#48 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

Well, this is not something of which I'm proud, but it's true. After several hours on the phone with tech support last Friday and again today--we're talking 4 hours then and another 2 hours today, they admit that there is nothing more they can do to get my TurboTax 2011 program to open.

It's installed properly, but I just can't open it. At all. The title page just flashes very quickly and disappears. Yes, we did all the .NET framework related fixes. Yes, my Windows 7 is completely up to date. (Those were the two most common "fixes" related to this problem.) However, after that and numerous other attempts, the TurboTax people admitted to me today that they can't figure out the problem and that I should call Microsoft, because the TurboTax folks believe it's a Microsoft issue.

Like the dolts at Microsoft are going to be able to figure this out.

I've used TurboTax since they began many moons ago. This may be the first of several years I won't be able to use them if I can't figure out why the f--- the program just. Won't. Open.

Ugh!!! :bang

some things to try

1. Monitiors

A. are you running multiple monitors - try removing one
B. what resolution are you running the monitors at, try dropping it down to lower resolutions

2. Installation directory

This has worked on numerous applications for me, make a directory outside or \Program Files, I called my APP, then install TT into that directory.

Someone has also mentioned in another forum that their install worked fine until they did the first set of updates to the application

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Two ideas you might not have tried?

1.Windows 7 has a "XP compatibility mode you could try running it in. Right click the desktop icon and try some of the different operating systems/screen resolutions.

2. How about editing the start icon to tell it to run in administrative mode?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

Is it possible that your using a 32 bit program on a 64 bit operating system?

Your online option may be the way to go.

Do you have the option to load the program on a "older" PC ?
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#51 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

I wondered about the 32/64 issue also.

I know the DEP mentioned above will stop some programs from running though.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#52 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm surprised they haven't attempted to remote into your PC to review the issue. I get so frustrated when a vendor tells me to go to Microsoft. I always know where that's going to lead.

#53 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Online version, online version, online version.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#54 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

some things to try

1. Monitiors

A. are you running multiple monitors - try removing one
B. what resolution are you running the monitors at, try dropping it down to lower resolutions

2. Installation directory

This has worked on numerous applications for me, make a directory outside or \Program Files, I called my APP, then install TT into that directory.

Someone has also mentioned in another forum that their install worked fine until they did the first set of updates to the application

Running only one monitor, and we did try different resolutions. We also tried a separate installation destination. No luck.

Two ideas you might not have tried?

1.Windows 7 has a "XP compatibility mode you could try running it in. Right click the desktop icon and try some of the different operating systems/screen resolutions.

No luck there, either.

2. How about editing the start icon to tell it to run in administrative mode?

I tried that but was unable to do that for some reason.

Is it possible that your using a 32 bit program on a 64 bit operating system?

No, it's definitely the correct version and all.

Do you have the option to load the program on a "older" PC ?

Unfortunately, no. Just this sole PC.

I'm surprised they haven't attempted to remote into your PC to review the issue. I get so frustrated when a vendor tells me to go to Microsoft. I always know where that's going to lead.

Actually, TurboTax and Dell both did this.

#55 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

As an addendum, I don't know what the Dell guy did, but now when I turn on the PC, I have two accounts listed:

"John-Administrator" (not my real name, obviously) and "Administrator".

The Dell guy did something to the user accounts and created a separate Administrator account, even though I'm the sole user who's also the Administrator. How do I get rid of that newly created "Administrator" account? I tried to do that last night, but it didn't give me an option to delete it, only manage it.

#56 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Online version, online version, online version.

That's probably what I'm going to have to do, but I'd like to figure out this problem anyway.

#57 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

Don't know if this will help, but when Turbotax 2011 starts up it apparently calls C:\Windows\splwow64.exe which is a normal file in Windows XP through 7 related to printing. This file can be a source of errors.

The usual error problems people see with this are things like "splwow64.exe error - cannot print from Word 2010" which you can see discussed here by tech types and here by somewhat less techie folks.

It is not unusual for Intuit software to be looking for specific versions of system files.

Also, does TurboTax 2010 open?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#58 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

I don't have TurboTax 2010 on this PC because this puter is 7 months old. It replaced an older one.

Regarding the first part of your post, what do you recommend with respect to that file then?

#59 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Long shot --
1. delete Turbotax again, making sure any folders for the current version are deleted, but protect your prior years' data.
2. Delete all temporary files.
3. Reinstall Turbotax.

Rationale - You had tried installing three different versions of Turbotax. Uninstalls don't always clean out temporary folders and files, sometimes messing up things for a new install. I had a problem just this past month when I tried installing a new printer. Somehow, I couln't get driver to install properly. I wound up going to online chat with HP support. Spent quite a bit of time trying to diagnose the problem, when the support guy had me run a search for temp files & folders, then delete them. I had printed out a log of our session, but unfortunately, shredded it just the other day. It had specific information stating just what to run to list the temp files and folders. Once I did the delete, I was able to download and install the latest version of the drivers and support files - something I had been unable to do earlier. Strange, indeed.

I hesitate to suggest going into regedit to delete all registry items containing either intuit or turbotax. Risky business.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#60 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, the installations all went fine. It was the actual launching of the program that hasn't worked. Even the very first installation and attempt, when there would have been no temp TurboTax files to speak of, didn't launch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...