Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's Official! I've stumped the TurboTax tech support people--program won't open

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#51 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

I wondered about the 32/64 issue also.

I know the DEP mentioned above will stop some programs from running though.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm surprised they haven't attempted to remote into your PC to review the issue. I get so frustrated when a vendor tells me to go to Microsoft. I always know where that's going to lead.

#53 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Online version, online version, online version.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#54 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

some things to try

1. Monitiors

A. are you running multiple monitors - try removing one
B. what resolution are you running the monitors at, try dropping it down to lower resolutions

2. Installation directory

This has worked on numerous applications for me, make a directory outside or \Program Files, I called my APP, then install TT into that directory.

Someone has also mentioned in another forum that their install worked fine until they did the first set of updates to the application

Running only one monitor, and we did try different resolutions. We also tried a separate installation destination. No luck.

Two ideas you might not have tried?

1.Windows 7 has a "XP compatibility mode you could try running it in. Right click the desktop icon and try some of the different operating systems/screen resolutions.

No luck there, either.

2. How about editing the start icon to tell it to run in administrative mode?

I tried that but was unable to do that for some reason.

Is it possible that your using a 32 bit program on a 64 bit operating system?

No, it's definitely the correct version and all.

Do you have the option to load the program on a "older" PC ?

Unfortunately, no. Just this sole PC.

I'm surprised they haven't attempted to remote into your PC to review the issue. I get so frustrated when a vendor tells me to go to Microsoft. I always know where that's going to lead.

Actually, TurboTax and Dell both did this.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#55 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

As an addendum, I don't know what the Dell guy did, but now when I turn on the PC, I have two accounts listed:

"John-Administrator" (not my real name, obviously) and "Administrator".

The Dell guy did something to the user accounts and created a separate Administrator account, even though I'm the sole user who's also the Administrator. How do I get rid of that newly created "Administrator" account? I tried to do that last night, but it didn't give me an option to delete it, only manage it.

#56 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Online version, online version, online version.

That's probably what I'm going to have to do, but I'd like to figure out this problem anyway.

#57 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

Don't know if this will help, but when Turbotax 2011 starts up it apparently calls C:\Windows\splwow64.exe which is a normal file in Windows XP through 7 related to printing. This file can be a source of errors.

The usual error problems people see with this are things like "splwow64.exe error - cannot print from Word 2010" which you can see discussed here by tech types and here by somewhat less techie folks.

It is not unusual for Intuit software to be looking for specific versions of system files.

Also, does TurboTax 2010 open?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#58 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

I don't have TurboTax 2010 on this PC because this puter is 7 months old. It replaced an older one.

Regarding the first part of your post, what do you recommend with respect to that file then?

#59 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,514 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Long shot --
1. delete Turbotax again, making sure any folders for the current version are deleted, but protect your prior years' data.
2. Delete all temporary files.
3. Reinstall Turbotax.

Rationale - You had tried installing three different versions of Turbotax. Uninstalls don't always clean out temporary folders and files, sometimes messing up things for a new install. I had a problem just this past month when I tried installing a new printer. Somehow, I couln't get driver to install properly. I wound up going to online chat with HP support. Spent quite a bit of time trying to diagnose the problem, when the support guy had me run a search for temp files & folders, then delete them. I had printed out a log of our session, but unfortunately, shredded it just the other day. It had specific information stating just what to run to list the temp files and folders. Once I did the delete, I was able to download and install the latest version of the drivers and support files - something I had been unable to do earlier. Strange, indeed.

I hesitate to suggest going into regedit to delete all registry items containing either intuit or turbotax. Risky business.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#60 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, the installations all went fine. It was the actual launching of the program that hasn't worked. Even the very first installation and attempt, when there would have been no temp TurboTax files to speak of, didn't launch.

#61 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

I don't have TurboTax 2010 on this PC because this puter is 7 months old. It replaced an older one.

It'd be an interesting exercise to install 2010 to see if it would run.

Regarding the first part of your post, what do you recommend with respect to that file then?

Heck, I don't know. Here's a screenshot of the file property detail info of the file on my computer:

Posted Image

If yours is different, I guess I'd ask TurboTax support what versions of the file it will work with.

We had the same problem with a "new" Intuit inventory program a few years back. My wife had entered a very large amount of inventory info on it when it started doing exactly what you described. I loaded it on my computer and ran it once opening and printing out her file to recover the data. It then wouldn't run on my computer either. And Intuit stopped supporting the program.

Somewhere around 2006 my old brain started having difficulty keeping track of all the potential os/software/hardware driver problems that appear from time-to-time in Windows.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#62 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,388 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

I bought TurboTax Deluxe on disk at Costco last week for $40 after a $10 rebate from the listed $50 price. Installed the program yesterday. Program first checked for updates, then told me that I had two versions of TurboTax 2011 installed and to uninstall one of them. I couldn't figure that one out, and when I uninstalled TT no versions were left. I reinstalled, got the update check again, and this time the program worked. TT installation takes a long time, even longer than iTunes did on my HP desktop running XP SP3.

I suspect waiting until February might have been the best option. I won't have all the financial information to put into the program until the end of January anyway.

This doesn't help the OP. Just pointing out that I also found some problems with the installation.

Being able to import last year's info easily is one reason for continuing to use TT. The other is that I'm reasonably familiar with the program.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#63 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have a feeling waiting until February won't make a difference if the problem is that the program won't launch.

#64 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,379 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm trying to stick with TurboTax, especially since I have previous years' info saved in files on the PC.

I understand that you're committed to TurboTax, but H&R Block's software will read the Turbo Tax .TXF files and bring the information forward.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#65 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'll probably go the online route before I switched to something completely different, but I appreciate your suggestion.

#66 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Have you checked on DEP?

#67 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Pardon my ignorance (or maybe just a brain fart), but DEP?

#68 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Guess you missed my post on the previous page.

#69 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

No, I didn't. I'm mobile right now and probably don't recall it at the moment.

Just took another quick look. I'll have to check that out when I get home later.

#70 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Alternate route that you can try
Try installing another OS that you have on hand with vmware player and installating Turbo Tax there on that maybe that will bypass whatever issue you are having on the main OS
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#71 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have another OS to use. I'm just going to go the online route and see if TurboTax will waive the fee for that, seeing that I already paid money for their useless CD.

On a related note--the idiots at Dell when trying to figure out the problem created a separate User Account and set it as Administrator. Consequently, when I turn on the PC, the screen shows two accounts: Administrator and "John". I'm the sole user of this machine and have always had just my single account "John" (not real name, obviously) and have had it with Admin privileges.

How do I delete the new Admin account Dell set up? I tried doing so via manage User Accounts, but it doesn't let me delete it; it just lets me make some minor changes to it.

#72 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,379 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

How do I delete the new Admin account Dell set up? I tried doing so via manage User Accounts, but it doesn't let me delete it; it just lets me make some minor changes to it.

What is the name associated with the "new Admin account"?

The secret to being able to press return to log in is to sleep the computer instead of shutting it down. If it is a notebook, laptop or some other computer that is somewhat likely to lose power, an answer to my initial question is necessary.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#73 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

It doesn't have a name. It's just listed as "Administrator".

#74 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yes, I'm running Windows 7 Home Professional (64 bit).

Explain the XP emulation mode.

Oh, and I have tried running it as administrator.

There is a Windows 7 Home Premium and a
Windows 7 Professional. There is no Windows 7 Home Professional :)

No, the CD didn't cause anything, because I first tried to install via download. I couldn't even install it because of a "bootstrapper error" issue. (The so-called fix was the .NET framework resolution, which didn't work anyway.) After that didn't work, I bought the CD and was able to install it, but that wouldn't launch, just like the Premier version via download won't launch.

At least I'm not alone in not being able to launch the program. Their Community Forum shows several others with the same issue and the inability to fix it. TurboTax has GOT to do something.

I would never let anybody remote into my PC. You don't really know what they are doing that way.

I say that despite Remoting into a remote POS when I need to look up current pricing, and l and having remoted in to a remote computer to do a Virus clean.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#75 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

I meant home premium. My error.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...