Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Entertainment Package???

vod

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

nope. Know of someone with Family pack and NHL CI. They just dont get to see the "local" team as they dont get a RSN

Thats why I dont subscribe to MLB Extra Innings anymore. On top of the $200 for Extra Innings, you have to pay $12.99 for the sports pack to get the (4 teams here) that claim you are a "local market" even though the closest one is over 7 hours drive time.

Greedy sports teams just dont understand they are losing more money that way.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thats why I dont subscribe to MLB Extra Innings anymore. On top of the $200 for Extra Innings, you have to pay $12.99 for the sports pack to get the (4 teams here) that claim you are a "local market" even though the closest one is over 7 hours drive time.

Greedy sports teams just dont understand they are losing more money that way.

No idea what you're talking about. I get both the Rays & Marlins with my regular setup.

#43 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

No idea what you're talking about. I get both the Rays & Marlins with my regular setup.

Every market is different. If the Marlins and Rays are carried on your RSN, then you will get all the games with EI. In my state, which has NO major league teams, we are claimed by Rangers (Tx), Astros (Tx), Royals (Mo), and Cardinals (Mo). With Extra Innings here, all the Royals and Cardinals games are blacked out by EI, since those are NOT carried by our RSN (Sports SW). In order for us to watch Cardinals games, we need to sub to Sports Pack, AND EI, since with just one or the other, the games are blacked out.

The team carried by our RSN (Astro's or Rangers if they are on Sports SW and not Sports Houston) is NOT the team 90% of the state follows...That would be the Cardinals, however, we do not get Sports Midwest as our RSN.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#44 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Every market is different. If the Marlins and Rays are carried on your RSN, then you will get all the games with EI. In my state, which has NO major league teams, we are claimed by Rangers (Tx), Astros (Tx), Royals (Mo), and Cardinals (Mo). With Extra Innings here, all the Royals and Cardinals games are blacked out by EI, since those are NOT carried by our RSN (Sports SW). In order for us to watch Cardinals games, we need to sub to Sports Pack, AND EI, since with just one or the other, the games are blacked out.

The team carried by our RSN (Astro's or Rangers if they are on Sports SW and not Sports Houston) is NOT the team 90% of the state follows...That would be the Cardinals, however, we do not get Sports Midwest as our RSN.

If you have cable do you get their games? Also, have you checked to see if the games themselves are in the clear without sports pack? As in Directv turns the signal on for their games only but not the RSN at any other time? It does seem unfair that if teams claim you that you have to pay even more to see them. I guess even that wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for you saying they will black them out on EI if they claim you as the home market and you have to have sports pack to watch those too. As you said, I've never encountered this as both the Rays and Marlins air here. I do have to order NHL CI to watch the Panthers and if I cared about the Heat I'd have to have NBA LP for that. But even that's a different circumstance.

Baseball needs to draw territories to something reasonable so this doesn't happen to people.

#45 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

If you have cable do you get their games? Also, have you checked to see if the games themselves are in the clear without sports pack? As in Directv turns the signal on for their games only but not the RSN at any other time? It does seem unfair that if teams claim you that you have to pay even more to see them. I guess even that wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for you saying they will black them out on EI if they claim you as the home market and you have to have sports pack to watch those too. As you said, I've never encountered this as both the Rays and Marlins air here. I do have to order NHL CI to watch the Panthers and if I cared about the Heat I'd have to have NBA LP for that. But even that's a different circumstance.

Baseball needs to draw territories to something reasonable so this doesn't happen to people.

Comcast has the games in SD.
Yes, I have checked. The games are not blacked out with Sports Pack, but that would be an extra $90 on top of the EI price, for the season, to get our "local" team. So for us, baseball is $290 if we want the Cardinals and EI.

At least with Sunday Ticket, we get all the games unless they are being broadcast locally.

I am pretty sure Cardinals games are blacked out on MLB.TV as well, unless something has changed since I last checked.

Personally, I dont think any team should be able to claim a territory any other team already has claimed, and DirecTv should provide the RSN for that team that has the territory claimed.

Enough on that though...just noticed the thread is about Entertainment, so I shall cease and desist...This topic should be picking up in about a week.

#46 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

maybe it will have all the channels of choice xtra without the sports... thus making it cheaper. that would be a package i would love to have :D

If "Entertainment" was indeed Choice Xtra without sports I'd switch on Feb. 9th!! I hate sports and I'm tired of subsidizing expensive sports channels I never watch (I.E. ESPN).

Unfortunately, I doubt that will be the case as I am sure there are a load of other customers who do not watch sports but are stuck with Choice Xtra to get their favorite channels and DirecTV doesn't want to lose that revenue.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#47 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

If "Entertainment" was indeed Choice Xtra without sports I'd switch on Feb. 9th!! I hate sports and I'm tired of subsidizing expensive sports channels I never watch (I.E. ESPN).

Unfortunately, I doubt that will be the case as I am sure there are a load of other customers who do not watch sports but are stuck with Choice Xtra to get their favorite channels and DirecTV doesn't want to lose that revenue.

ESPN & ESPN2 are in the Entertainment package. That was confirmed already

#48 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm with you. I want the sport channels and get tired of subsidizing all the pop culture girls channels. Wish we had more choices.

#49 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

I hope the day comes when HD is the norm.

#50 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'm with you. I want the sport channels and get tired of subsidizing all the pop culture girls channels. Wish we had more choices.

It's usually the other way around - all those OWN fans are subsidizing your viewing of ESPN. What do providers pay for ESPN now, like $11 a month? I know it's not that high, but I'm sure ESPN is working toward some ludicrous number like that.

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I think the normal price for all of them is around $6-$7. A channel like Discovery probably is under $1, maybe 70-80 cents.

#52 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

It's usually the other way around - all those OWN fans are subsidizing your viewing of ESPN. What do providers pay for ESPN now, like $11 a month? I know it's not that high, but I'm sure ESPN is working toward some ludicrous number like that.

They are subsidizing me and vise versa, that's why I said I wish we all had a choice. ESPN may be expensive but when you add up all the pop culture, womens, kids, and reality channels I never watch it probably costs more than ESPN. Point is we all need more choices, none of us should have to pay for channels we don't want.

#53 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

If those that don't want ESPN start NOT subsidizing the cost of it (i.e., they subscribe to a package that doesn't include it), the cost per subscriber would likely rise for those that DO want it. Greatly.
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#54 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

And it would go other ways. Savings by not getting Lifetime would be eaten up by paying more for Discovery. Lifetime subscribers would lose savings from not getting Discovery. Networks would try to get more per subscriber.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vod

Protected By... spam firewall...And...