Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIY Experience: installing internal 2TB HDD in THR-22

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alexginga

alexginga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

I wanted to start a thread to share my experience of upgrading the HDD inside my THR-22 from 500 GBytes to 2 TBs.

I simply removed the old drive and replaced it with the Seagate 2TB Green dirve - which I bought at a local BestBuy for $160.

Interestingly enough - the original drive was also manufactured by Seagate. It was a bit thinner, but it fit perfecly into the frame.

The drive was automatically formatted as soon as I powered up the box, then the Tivo logo appeared with the sign.. Just a few more minutes.. And then it simply stalled. A couple red button re-boots did not help - the rebooting sequency simply failed for me.

Then I tried the old CE trick (pressed 0-2-4-6-8 on the Peanut remote) - as soon as the first screen appeared after the reboot.

That forced the software download (18A). As soon as the software was successfully updated - the Box rebooted again - this time all the way through to the guided setup.

The entire experience was quite satisfying (in a geeky kind of way). ;)

The entire enterpise cost me $260 ($100 to DirecTV and $160 to BestBuy for the HDD).

Let me know if anybody else was brave enough for this kind of upgrade?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

I recall before you someone did use new drive for THR22 (perhaps just external, but I think it would be interesting to compare the procedure).

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Of course I have to post the obligatory warning. Modifying a leased DVR is a violation of the DIRECTV Lease Addendum (Link). We do not discuss upgrading leased DVRs.

However, if the DVR is owned then it yours to do with as you please.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   alexginga

alexginga

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Just from the Hardware perspective - THR22 feels like your regular HR22 or HR24 box, i.e. it treats any HDD as a plug-and-play device, i.e. it formats and partitions it without any human intervention :-)

Sorry Weaknees - anybody with Torx T15 tool-set and a SATA internal HDD can do it - I guess. :rolleyes:

I have not tried the external HDD with the THR22 DirecTivo, but I DID install an external eSATA 1.5 TB HDD with my HR24-100 receiver.

The procedure was quite simple - power off the receiver - connect the HDD using eSATA cable to the back of the receiver - power on the HDD - wait for 30 seconds - power on the receiver - wait for the HDD to be formatted and enjoy the your TV.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

You know, the procedure posted here 100s times ... since ppl start using external drive back to 2006 (?) ...

If you would try external drive on your THR22 ... that's would add something new to the site.

#6 OFFLINE   tabrewer

tabrewer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Did you commission your receiver first before you installed your new larger hard drive?

#7 OFFLINE   tabrewer

tabrewer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Following Alex's instructions I added a Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA WD15EARS and it has worked fine for the last week.

#8 OFFLINE   SRG

SRG

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I also followed Alex's directions and mine has also worked great. I did not hook anything up first, I took the Tivo out of the box and opened the Tivo dropped in a WD 2 TB. Plugged everything in and it formatted and did the setup, took about 40 minutes to get to live tv. The one hiccup I had was later in the evening after I had set up some On Demand downloads and Season Passes, the Tivo rebooted and I lost all that stuff. Otherwise everything is great, my one personal complaint is the new Tivo remote, I hate the new button layout, I want my List button back!!!

#9 OFFLINE   htroberts

htroberts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

anybody with Torx T15 tool-set and a SATA internal HDD can do it

I haven't actually removed the screws, because that would risk the wrath of the FBI, NSA, etc., but mine looks more like tamper-resistant T10s...

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

The standard HR's use T10's as well so its a good bet that they are 10's and not 15's.

#11 OFFLINE   spyhunter

spyhunter

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hello, would just like to know how the poster got the THR22 for only $100? They've always been $199 as far as I know...

SH

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,689 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hello, would just like to know how the poster got the THR22 for only $100? They've always been $199 as far as I know...

SH

Sometimes customers can qualify for special deal "perks". Or perhaps they just got a very friendly support rep.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#13 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

the price would also denote it being leased
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...