Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 External Hard Drive Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Is the Black worth the extra money over the Green in your opinion?

No, I just happened to have one that was earmarked for a server tower that didn't get built. So I re-purposed it. :)

The OEM drive is a Green EURS, but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

I'm definitely going with WD then over Seagate for this application based on DirecTV using WD as the OEM. One more question; I can get any one of these 3 through a local source, but which one of these WD models should I go with... the WD20EURS, the WD20EARS, or the WD20EARX?

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'm definitely going with WD then over Seagate for this application based on DirecTV using WD as the OEM. One more question; I can get any one of these 3 through a local source, but which one of these WD models should I go with... the WD20EURS, the WD20EARS, or the WD20EARX?

I would do proactive search in Internet instead of rely to few responses here. Check Amazon reviews, Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc. Your activity is the key to success!

#24 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

See also the eSATA recommendation thread here ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160800

If you read that thread, start near the end of the messages as some things have changed since the thread was started. Going back about 5 or 6 pages should reveal the generally prefered enclosures/docks, as well as the most recommended hard drives.
FWIW, Thermaltake BlacX docks are easy to use and reasonably inexpensive. If you can put bread in a toaster, you can put a hard drive in a BlacX--really, it is the same.
Most here prefer WD drives.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

If you read that thread, start near the end of the messages as some things have changed since the thread was started. Going back about 5 or 6 pages should reveal the generally prefered enclosures/docks, as well as the most recommended hard drives.
FWIW, Thermaltake BlacX docks are easy to use and reasonably inexpensive. If you can put bread in a toaster, you can put a hard drive in a BlacX--really, it is the same.
Most here prefer WD drives.

He is asking us to chose one of three models. Actually.

#26 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm going to go with an internal hard drive as the majority of the enclosures I've found including the Antec MX-1 and the Thermaltake BlacX only support a 3 Gb/s transfer speed and I want to go with a 6 Gb/s hard drive unit and I'm also going with Western Digital as it's the OEM installed by DirecTV. The WD20EURS is actually very hard to find so I'm crossing it off the list. The WD20EARS only has a 3 gb/s transfer speed so I'm crossing it off as well. The WD20EARX does have a 6 Gb/s transfer speed but the rotational speed is only 5400 rpm so I'm probably going to dismiss it as well. So after much research and deliberation I'm leaning towards the WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX. Does anyone know much about the WD2002FAEX? What I mean is whether or not the 6 Gb/s transfer speed and 7200 rpm rotational speed of the WD2002FAEX is noticeably faster, more responsive, and worth the extra money in this application than the 3 Gb/s transfer and 5400 rpm rotation of the WD20EARX. Does the transfer and rotational speed really matter in this comparison or am I just over analyzing it?

#27 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Does the controller in the HR34 actually support anything faster than 1.5 Gb/s?
As for speed, seek speed and cache size would be my concerns. Usually 7200 rpm drives have faster seek times. As far as actual transfers, 5400 is way more than is required.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#28 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Everything has now been decided after completing all of my research. The Western Digital WD20EURS is the absolute perfect upgrade and my final choice. The next question I have is should I use it to replace the factory installed internal hard drive, or should I get an enclosure and just use the WD20EURS externally using an eSATA cable? What's your advice?

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm going to go with an internal hard drive as the majority of the enclosures I've found including the Antec MX-1 and the Thermaltake BlacX only support a 3 Gb/s transfer speed and I want to go with a 6 Gb/s hard drive unit and I'm also going with Western Digital as it's the OEM installed by DirecTV. The WD20EURS is actually very hard to find so I'm crossing it off the list. The WD20EARS only has a 3 gb/s transfer speed so I'm crossing it off as well. The WD20EARX does have a 6 Gb/s transfer speed but the rotational speed is only 5400 rpm so I'm probably going to dismiss it as well. So after much research and deliberation I'm leaning towards the WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX. Does anyone know much about the WD2002FAEX? What I mean is whether or not the 6 Gb/s transfer speed and 7200 rpm rotational speed of the WD2002FAEX is noticeably faster, more responsive, and worth the extra money in this application than the 3 Gb/s transfer and 5400 rpm rotation of the WD20EARX. Does the transfer and rotational speed really matter in this comparison or am I just over analyzing it?

You are betting on length of a tail and color of ears while picking the 'horse'.
[Definitely not reading before posting .]
a) NO ONR DVR is support 6 Gbps interface speed.
B) 7200 RPM is not a factor: 1 HD [channel] recording stream is ~1 MB/s, two - ~2 MB/s, OTA - ~2 MB/s; 5400 RPM drive has sustain R/W speed ~30-40-60 MB/s: ENOUGH !

c) no reasonable cache size [8-16-32-64 MB] will help for such stream, one or more.

The mentioned [many times] criteria:
- AV type what support 24/7,
- require less time for internal regular recalibrations,
- taking less energy as possible, ie keep own temperature less then 120 F inside badly ventilated case,
- perhaps low noise, if you keep the DVR close to your ears.

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

Everything has now been decided after completing all of my research. The Western Digital WD20EURS is the absolute perfect upgrade and my final choice. The next question I have is should I use it to replace the factory installed internal hard drive, or should I get an enclosure and just use the WD20EURS externally using an eSATA cable? What's your advice?

It's the same as mentioned last few years: for owned DVR - internal, for leased - external.

#31 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Does the controller in the HR34 actually support anything faster than 1.5 Gb/s?
As for speed, seek speed and cache size would be my concerns. Usually 7200 rpm drives have faster seek times. As far as actual transfers, 5400 is way more than is required.

The HR's currently only support 1.5Gb/sec, the 6Gb/sec drives are pointless in this application. I still have one HR that has a 32MB cache model drive(EADS), and it seems to stay busier if the drive activity light on the BlacX is any indication compared to my EURS with the 64MB cache. I see absolutely no difference in system performance though. I tried a 7200rpm drive at one time as well and all I got was more heat...my experiences say stick with the 5400rpm 64mb cache drives..YMMV. I've been playing with these things for over 5 years now. I cant tell you if the HR34 has a SATA chipset that supports faster transfer rates or not, anyone remember from the 1st look?

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

HR34 support SATA 3 Gbps interface speed. Same for BCM7401 based DVRs, like HR22-100.

#33 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks guys! Only other question I have now is where can I find the best price on a WD20EURS that's in stock and ready to ship right away?

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Spoiler

:D

#35 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the sarcasm - LOL. How about a link or a web address to where I can buy a WD20EURS? I'm simply striking out everywhere I look.

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Perhaps post#23 had the answer ? ;)

#37 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

The WD20EURS is not available anywhere unless I want to pay around $240+. The WD20EARX is available for only $115 so as much as I want the WD20EURS as it's a specified AV-GP I don't know that I can justify paying twice as much. The only differences I can see is that the EARX has a 6 Gb/s transfer speed which I won't even use half of anyway compared to the 3 Gb/s transfer speed of the EURS, and I that the EURS is rated specifically for DVR expansion applications. Post #18 in this thread talks about the EARX working pretty good but has anyone else played with it in this application yet? How does the EARX perform in a 24/7 environment, is it noisy at all, and does it run hot at all that I should look out for? Should I just go with the WD20EARX and be confident in it?

#38 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Over the years I have put 17 different hard drives in DVRs. Never paid one ounce of attention to any of the details of the drive other than the interface was correct and the size was what I wanted. None of those drives ever failed or caused any performance problems in the DVRs.

Did the same recently with the HR34 and HR24. Just pulled a drive off the shelf that was 2T and installed. Happen to be Seagate Green Barracuda with 5900 rpm speed. Room temp is 78 and temp is 109f in the HR34 right now and it is installed just one inch above the receiver below which produces heat. No closed shelf in between. Just a metal kitchen rack made from coated steel rods.

Sometimes we can overthink things that have no bearing on performance.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#39 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

How many hours of programming will the 2TB WD20EARX hold; how many SD hours and how many HD hours approximately?

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

A 34 with 1tb is spec'd at 200 hours HD and 800 SD.

spam firewall