Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 External Hard Drive Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

So with this new 2TB I can anticipate 400 hours of HD and 1600 hours of SD then is that about right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

When you'll install it, please report exactly real values to us.

#43 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Just ordered the Antec MX-1 and the Western Digital WD20EARX! Will report back once they're installed.

#44 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Will be anxious to hear

#45 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Has anyone tried using a 2.5TB or 3TB drive with the HR34 in an esata enclosure? They won't work with older HRs but could work with the HR34 if it has compatible drivers and software. From Western Digital:

WD initially led the way in providing solutions for drives larger than 2.19 TB which included a Host Bus Adapter with our 2.5 TB and 3 TB hard drives. This HBA is no longer being provided, and is not needed as updated storage drivers and system software with support for large capacity drives are now available.

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

I did ask to check 2+ TB drives (thinking new FW could support it), but got so much pressure from ppl here ... Cold shower. Up to calling 'don't push us ! - do it by yourself' :(

#47 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

DirecTV confirmed that the HR34 maxes out at 2TB like the rest of the HR models... no luck on getting to 3TB yet. Drats!

#48 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Until the OS kernel gets updated, you won't see larger than 2TB support on any of the HR line...

#49 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

DirecTV confirmed that the HR34 maxes out at 2TB like the rest of the HR models... no luck on getting to 3TB yet. Drats!

Thank you for the report.

#50 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

I just received a new HR24-200 and hooked it up with a new WD20EARX and new BlacX docking station. Everything looked ok but over a period of a few hours, it locked up and rebooted four or five times. I let it start once with the internal drive and it seemed to work ok. I re-started with the WD20EARX and continued to have the same problem. I changed to a different new WD20EARX and tried several different esata cables. After one crash with the current cable and hard drive, it ran ok overnight recording several programs.

I have had a HR24-100 running flawlessly for five or six months with a WD20EARS. For the first few months, it was connected to a BlacX docking station but a month or two ago, it became obvious that the internal fan was failing and it started to overheat. Notwithstanding that it is a leased unit, I opened the case and replaced the fan and moved the WD20EARS inside. It is continuing to work with no trouble.

When I get home today, I will see if the unit is still working ok. It may be that my problems last night were all esata cable related but as mentioned earlier, it did crash once after installing the current drve and cable.

In reviewing the differences between the WD20EARX and the WD20EARS, the specifications looked identical with the exception that the WD20EARX is capable of 6Gb/s transfer while the WD20EARS is specked for 3Gb/s. Earlier posters have indicated that the HR24’s do not support 6Gb/s transfers so I understand that there is no advantage in the 6Gb/s model.

The WD web sight indicates that the WD20EARX can be restricted to a 3Gb/s transfer rate by using a jumper. I am planning on trying the jumper as I can’t see it could hurt.. Do any of you more knowledgeable folks think that this might make my installation more stable?

#51 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

I do...I used to jumper my 3Gb/sec drives down to 1.5Gb/s because I felt they were more stable, but later firmware from D* seems to have negated the need for the jumper. IT isnt going to hurt using the jumper, maybe the drives dont auto-negotiate down to 1.5Gb/sec very well, at least thats a reasonable hunch.

#52 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

FYI.. I ended up not installing the jumper on the WD20EARX and it seems to be working fine. I guess the early problems were related to bad esata cables. From my limited experience, esata cables tend to be finicky. I would have probably installed the jumper but I am a little unclear as to what the jumper actually does on the WD20EARX. Does it limit the transfer speed to 3Gb/s so it can still negotiated down to 1.5Gb/s or does it try to lock things at 3Gb/s which might cause problems if as some have reported can, the HR24 only operate at 1.5.

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

It will lower max rate during negotiation, it's not a lock to particular interface's speed.

#54 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Just wanted to report back in. I am having no problems with my EARX 2Tb and TT Dock. Best Ive been able to do is 94% full so far.

That's exactly what you don't want to do. As you fill the HDDs up, the HRs all slow down a lot. I try to keep my 2TB drives about half full and never see this bogging down or slowness of HRs that others report. I've filled up every size of HDD and they all slowed the HRs down as they got past the 30% Available mark on the meter.

For those of you looking at 7200RPM spindle speed Seagates, just remember, they are the ones that started chattering madly a few years ago. And probably will again. If you have to buy a Seagate, I'd really recommend the slower spindle speed HDDs. I just dumped all my 7200 Seagate drives last year for the much quieter WD HDDs.

Rich

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I just received a new HR24-200 and hooked it up with a new WD20EARX and new BlacX docking station. Everything looked ok but over a period of a few hours, it locked up and rebooted four or five times. I let it start once with the internal drive and it seemed to work ok. I re-started with the WD20EARX and continued to have the same problem. I changed to a different new WD20EARX and tried several different esata cables. After one crash with the current cable and hard drive, it ran ok overnight recording several programs.

I have had a HR24-100 running flawlessly for five or six months with a WD20EARS. For the first few months, it was connected to a BlacX docking station but a month or two ago, it became obvious that the internal fan was failing and it started to overheat. Notwithstanding that it is a leased unit, I opened the case and replaced the fan and moved the WD20EARS inside. It is continuing to work with no trouble.

When I get home today, I will see if the unit is still working ok. It may be that my problems last night were all esata cable related but as mentioned earlier, it did crash once after installing the current drve and cable.

In reviewing the differences between the WD20EARX and the WD20EARS, the specifications looked identical with the exception that the WD20EARX is capable of 6Gb/s transfer while the WD20EARS is specked for 3Gb/s. Earlier posters have indicated that the HR24’s do not support 6Gb/s transfers so I understand that there is no advantage in the 6Gb/s model.

The WD web sight indicates that the WD20EARX can be restricted to a 3Gb/s transfer rate by using a jumper. I am planning on trying the jumper as I can’t see it could hurt.. Do any of you more knowledgeable folks think that this might make my installation more stable?

The jumper across the 5 & 6 posts on the HDD will not hurt, but you don't need it. There was a time when you did, but not now.

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

FYI.. I ended up not installing the jumper on the WD20EARX and it seems to be working fine. I guess the early problems were related to bad esata cables. From my limited experience, esata cables tend to be finicky. I would have probably installed the jumper but I am a little unclear as to what the jumper actually does on the WD20EARX. Does it limit the transfer speed to 3Gb/s so it can still negotiated down to 1.5Gb/s or does it try to lock things at 3Gb/s which might cause problems if as some have reported can, the HR24 only operate at 1.5.

I see nothing finicky at all concerning the eSATA to eSATA jumper cables. I don't think I've ever had a bad one.

Rich

#57 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

I havent either....I'm still using the original cables on all 3 of my enclosures...one over 5 years old.

#58 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

So, if you're going to replace the stock drives in a HR24 and HR34, what's the best way to go. I was considering a WD green 2tb drive like the WD20EARX or WD20EARS. Is there any reason to go with something faster like the WD Cavier black or will the green drives be just as good for DVR upgrades?

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I havent either....I'm still using the original cables on all 3 of my enclosures...one over 5 years old.

I think they get blamed for "operator failure", especially when the person can't get an external device to work. Couldn't possibly be my fault, must be the cable. That sort of thing.

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

So, if you're going to replace the stock drives in a HR24 and HR34, what's the best way to go. I was considering a WD green 2tb drive like the WD20EARX or WD20EARS. Is there any reason to go with something faster like the WD Cavier black or will the green drives be just as good for DVR upgrades?

The black drives usually cost more and the green drives just work. And work well.

Rich

spam firewall