Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 External Hard Drive Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

I do...I used to jumper my 3Gb/sec drives down to 1.5Gb/s because I felt they were more stable, but later firmware from D* seems to have negated the need for the jumper. IT isnt going to hurt using the jumper, maybe the drives dont auto-negotiate down to 1.5Gb/sec very well, at least thats a reasonable hunch.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

FYI.. I ended up not installing the jumper on the WD20EARX and it seems to be working fine. I guess the early problems were related to bad esata cables. From my limited experience, esata cables tend to be finicky. I would have probably installed the jumper but I am a little unclear as to what the jumper actually does on the WD20EARX. Does it limit the transfer speed to 3Gb/s so it can still negotiated down to 1.5Gb/s or does it try to lock things at 3Gb/s which might cause problems if as some have reported can, the HR24 only operate at 1.5.

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

It will lower max rate during negotiation, it's not a lock to particular interface's speed.

#54 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Just wanted to report back in. I am having no problems with my EARX 2Tb and TT Dock. Best Ive been able to do is 94% full so far.

That's exactly what you don't want to do. As you fill the HDDs up, the HRs all slow down a lot. I try to keep my 2TB drives about half full and never see this bogging down or slowness of HRs that others report. I've filled up every size of HDD and they all slowed the HRs down as they got past the 30% Available mark on the meter.

For those of you looking at 7200RPM spindle speed Seagates, just remember, they are the ones that started chattering madly a few years ago. And probably will again. If you have to buy a Seagate, I'd really recommend the slower spindle speed HDDs. I just dumped all my 7200 Seagate drives last year for the much quieter WD HDDs.

Rich

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I just received a new HR24-200 and hooked it up with a new WD20EARX and new BlacX docking station. Everything looked ok but over a period of a few hours, it locked up and rebooted four or five times. I let it start once with the internal drive and it seemed to work ok. I re-started with the WD20EARX and continued to have the same problem. I changed to a different new WD20EARX and tried several different esata cables. After one crash with the current cable and hard drive, it ran ok overnight recording several programs.

I have had a HR24-100 running flawlessly for five or six months with a WD20EARS. For the first few months, it was connected to a BlacX docking station but a month or two ago, it became obvious that the internal fan was failing and it started to overheat. Notwithstanding that it is a leased unit, I opened the case and replaced the fan and moved the WD20EARS inside. It is continuing to work with no trouble.

When I get home today, I will see if the unit is still working ok. It may be that my problems last night were all esata cable related but as mentioned earlier, it did crash once after installing the current drve and cable.

In reviewing the differences between the WD20EARX and the WD20EARS, the specifications looked identical with the exception that the WD20EARX is capable of 6Gb/s transfer while the WD20EARS is specked for 3Gb/s. Earlier posters have indicated that the HR24’s do not support 6Gb/s transfers so I understand that there is no advantage in the 6Gb/s model.

The WD web sight indicates that the WD20EARX can be restricted to a 3Gb/s transfer rate by using a jumper. I am planning on trying the jumper as I can’t see it could hurt.. Do any of you more knowledgeable folks think that this might make my installation more stable?

The jumper across the 5 & 6 posts on the HDD will not hurt, but you don't need it. There was a time when you did, but not now.

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

FYI.. I ended up not installing the jumper on the WD20EARX and it seems to be working fine. I guess the early problems were related to bad esata cables. From my limited experience, esata cables tend to be finicky. I would have probably installed the jumper but I am a little unclear as to what the jumper actually does on the WD20EARX. Does it limit the transfer speed to 3Gb/s so it can still negotiated down to 1.5Gb/s or does it try to lock things at 3Gb/s which might cause problems if as some have reported can, the HR24 only operate at 1.5.

I see nothing finicky at all concerning the eSATA to eSATA jumper cables. I don't think I've ever had a bad one.

Rich

#57 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

I havent either....I'm still using the original cables on all 3 of my enclosures...one over 5 years old.

#58 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

So, if you're going to replace the stock drives in a HR24 and HR34, what's the best way to go. I was considering a WD green 2tb drive like the WD20EARX or WD20EARS. Is there any reason to go with something faster like the WD Cavier black or will the green drives be just as good for DVR upgrades?

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I havent either....I'm still using the original cables on all 3 of my enclosures...one over 5 years old.

I think they get blamed for "operator failure", especially when the person can't get an external device to work. Couldn't possibly be my fault, must be the cable. That sort of thing.

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

So, if you're going to replace the stock drives in a HR24 and HR34, what's the best way to go. I was considering a WD green 2tb drive like the WD20EARX or WD20EARS. Is there any reason to go with something faster like the WD Cavier black or will the green drives be just as good for DVR upgrades?

The black drives usually cost more and the green drives just work. And work well.

Rich

#61 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

I think they get blamed for "operator failure", especially when the person can't get an external device to work. Couldn't possibly be my fault, must be the cable. That sort of thing.

Rich

You may be correct. I am glad to hear that your cables have been performing well. I have had several instances when I can't get an external device to work properly but it does work after I replace the cable. It just may be a coincidence.

#62 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hay mavs-fan; I don't recommend opening the casing of your D* equipment. Simply using an external enclosure is much simpler, is just as effective, and does nothing to jeopardize your leasing agreement. I am using the WD20EARX inside the Antec MX-1 enclosure. The absolute best HDD to use is the WD20EURS if you can find one as it's specifically designed for DVR applications, but they're rare these days and anyone who has one knows it and will charge you around $250+. Amazon and Newegg have the WD20EARX for only $129. The WD20EARS is also a solid choice as the only real difference between the WD20EARS and the WD20EARX is the transfer speed (the WD20EARS is 3 Gb/s and the WD20EARX is 6 Gb/s). The HR24 and the HR34 are both only capable of 1.5 Gb/s so either HDD is more than you need. The WD Caviar Black drives are simply overkill as the 7200rpm rotational speeds cause the drive to run warmer and it's simply not needed in this application. As stated earlier in this thread; if you have any issues with your external setup, make sure to check your eSata cable before worrying about anything else - LOL. Good luck!

#63 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

You may be correct. I am glad to hear that your cables have been performing well. I have had several instances when I can't get an external device to work properly but it does work after I replace the cable. It just may be a coincidence.

I've used many external devices and had no problems with eSATA cables. That doesn't mean that I doubt that others have. I also have no doubt that "operators" can screw up the method of connecting external devices royally.

Rich

#64 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Just ordered my new HMC HR34! It's now officially available to all existing D* customers nationwide instead of only being available for new customers as it was with the initial launch. WARNING... your initial D* customer service rep will try to charge you the full $399.99 retail price and tell you that no discounts are available because the equipment is too new. This is false; I asked for the customer retention department and they took great care of me letting me have the HR34 for only $99 with free installation. The woman in customer retention even got me an accelerated installation date and they are coming this Saturday! One thing about D* is they do value their customers and even though I've been frustrated a few times, in the end they've always taken care of me. I'm going to have them hook up the HR34 and run the standard installation, and then I'm going to record one program on the internal hard drive (this is so that if my external hard drive ever fails and I need to revert back to the internal one I will be able to tell that the internal hard drive has booted back up). Then I'm going to power down my HR34 and unplug it, and then install my 2TB WD20EARX into my Antec MX-1 enclosure. Then I'll boot up the external hard drive, plug it into my new HR34, and then power back up the HR34. It's like Christmas in February! Let's go!

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,387 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Good plan, we're waiting for your report.

#66 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Took the D* technician close to 5 hours to complete my install today. Got it all done though. Recorded one program on the internal hard drive and then went to work. Powered down the HR34 and then unplugged it from the wall, got the WD20EARX into the MX-1, connected it via eSata to the HR34, booted up the external hard drive and waited a few minutes, and then plugged the HR34 back in and booted it up. And... it works like a charm! Absolutely no noise and silent running from the WD20EARX. With my other 3 HD DVR's I am now able to record ELEVEN shows at the same time, and I have a total of 3.5TB of storage... that's 2,800 SD hours or 5,600 SD 30 minutes shows. I am locked and loaded!

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,387 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Now, we will wait for continuous use it during a week at least. To see how it reliable as external drive with the HR34. If you could just fill it up quickly as possible by (24/7) recordings...

#68 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Now, we will wait for continuous use it during a week at least. To see how it reliable as external drive with the HR34. If you could just fill it up quickly as possible by (24/7) recordings...

Will using an external drive slow down the HR34/HR24 at all? We're just evaluating the pros and cons or using an upgraded external vs. internal drive.

#69 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Will using an external drive slow down the HR34/HR24 at all? We're just evaluating the pros and cons or using an upgraded external vs. internal drive.

It really doesnt. When a larger drive gets filled up, it can be a little slower. I have tried larger drives internally and externally and performance seems to be identical. Full drive performance can be an issue, whether its internal or external...and over the last few years people tried a large variety of drives and enclosures and some were not up to snuff so you would have seen more posts related to poor performance of external setups....If you use the recommended drives and enclosure combinations, you'll barely know the difference. If you have leased dvrs, you really have no choice unless you want to risk a bill for tampering with D*'s equipment.

#70 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm in the process of filling up a 24-500 to see how that affects the 500. My wife just filled up her stock 24-100 and that experienced no bogging down of the HR. I don't recall anyone doing this yet. The 500 has a 2TB internal drive in it. If I tried this with a 20-700, it would slow the HR down. I'm below 30% Available on the 500 and, so far, I haven't noticed any change in speed when doing anything.

But the 34 is another story. If you stick a 2TB HDD externally on that, you're gonna fill it up quickly with five inputs. I haven't read anything about how the 34s work with a full HDD. You'd think D* took this into consideration when they made the 34 with those five inputs. You'd think.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

So far the only downside to the HR34 is the old school orange and blue SD guide. D* is still developing the HD guide for it. I'm still trying to fill up my 2TB external drive. Recorded on all 5 tuners all night and am only at 10% capacity. It will take me a week or so get it 100% filled for complete testing. No issues so far at all though; no slowing or bogging down, etc.

#72 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Got the WD20EARX over 95% full (finally) and there is not even a slight reduction in response time. Humming along flawlessly now for more than 9 days. Love it!

#73 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,387 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the report !

#74 OFFLINE   hunters1234

hunters1234

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm having my HR34 installed on Sat, and now that it has been a few months since the last post in this thread, I was wondering if there was any new info on what drive I should get to add capacity to the unit. Thanks for any help.

#75 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm having my HR34 installed on Sat, and now that it has been a few months since the last post in this thread, I was wondering if there was any new info on what drive I should get to add capacity to the unit. Thanks for any help.

If you can get the lastest Test Firmware on your unit . Do a search on here people are using Raid 5 and can get up to 12 terabytes maybe more !

Protected By... spam firewall...And...