Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 External Hard Drive Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

I think they get blamed for "operator failure", especially when the person can't get an external device to work. Couldn't possibly be my fault, must be the cable. That sort of thing.

Rich

You may be correct. I am glad to hear that your cables have been performing well. I have had several instances when I can't get an external device to work properly but it does work after I replace the cable. It just may be a coincidence.

#62 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hay mavs-fan; I don't recommend opening the casing of your D* equipment. Simply using an external enclosure is much simpler, is just as effective, and does nothing to jeopardize your leasing agreement. I am using the WD20EARX inside the Antec MX-1 enclosure. The absolute best HDD to use is the WD20EURS if you can find one as it's specifically designed for DVR applications, but they're rare these days and anyone who has one knows it and will charge you around $250+. Amazon and Newegg have the WD20EARX for only $129. The WD20EARS is also a solid choice as the only real difference between the WD20EARS and the WD20EARX is the transfer speed (the WD20EARS is 3 Gb/s and the WD20EARX is 6 Gb/s). The HR24 and the HR34 are both only capable of 1.5 Gb/s so either HDD is more than you need. The WD Caviar Black drives are simply overkill as the 7200rpm rotational speeds cause the drive to run warmer and it's simply not needed in this application. As stated earlier in this thread; if you have any issues with your external setup, make sure to check your eSata cable before worrying about anything else - LOL. Good luck!

#63 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

You may be correct. I am glad to hear that your cables have been performing well. I have had several instances when I can't get an external device to work properly but it does work after I replace the cable. It just may be a coincidence.

I've used many external devices and had no problems with eSATA cables. That doesn't mean that I doubt that others have. I also have no doubt that "operators" can screw up the method of connecting external devices royally.

Rich

#64 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Just ordered my new HMC HR34! It's now officially available to all existing D* customers nationwide instead of only being available for new customers as it was with the initial launch. WARNING... your initial D* customer service rep will try to charge you the full $399.99 retail price and tell you that no discounts are available because the equipment is too new. This is false; I asked for the customer retention department and they took great care of me letting me have the HR34 for only $99 with free installation. The woman in customer retention even got me an accelerated installation date and they are coming this Saturday! One thing about D* is they do value their customers and even though I've been frustrated a few times, in the end they've always taken care of me. I'm going to have them hook up the HR34 and run the standard installation, and then I'm going to record one program on the internal hard drive (this is so that if my external hard drive ever fails and I need to revert back to the internal one I will be able to tell that the internal hard drive has booted back up). Then I'm going to power down my HR34 and unplug it, and then install my 2TB WD20EARX into my Antec MX-1 enclosure. Then I'll boot up the external hard drive, plug it into my new HR34, and then power back up the HR34. It's like Christmas in February! Let's go!

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Good plan, we're waiting for your report.

#66 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Took the D* technician close to 5 hours to complete my install today. Got it all done though. Recorded one program on the internal hard drive and then went to work. Powered down the HR34 and then unplugged it from the wall, got the WD20EARX into the MX-1, connected it via eSata to the HR34, booted up the external hard drive and waited a few minutes, and then plugged the HR34 back in and booted it up. And... it works like a charm! Absolutely no noise and silent running from the WD20EARX. With my other 3 HD DVR's I am now able to record ELEVEN shows at the same time, and I have a total of 3.5TB of storage... that's 2,800 SD hours or 5,600 SD 30 minutes shows. I am locked and loaded!

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Now, we will wait for continuous use it during a week at least. To see how it reliable as external drive with the HR34. If you could just fill it up quickly as possible by (24/7) recordings...

#68 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Now, we will wait for continuous use it during a week at least. To see how it reliable as external drive with the HR34. If you could just fill it up quickly as possible by (24/7) recordings...

Will using an external drive slow down the HR34/HR24 at all? We're just evaluating the pros and cons or using an upgraded external vs. internal drive.

#69 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Will using an external drive slow down the HR34/HR24 at all? We're just evaluating the pros and cons or using an upgraded external vs. internal drive.

It really doesnt. When a larger drive gets filled up, it can be a little slower. I have tried larger drives internally and externally and performance seems to be identical. Full drive performance can be an issue, whether its internal or external...and over the last few years people tried a large variety of drives and enclosures and some were not up to snuff so you would have seen more posts related to poor performance of external setups....If you use the recommended drives and enclosure combinations, you'll barely know the difference. If you have leased dvrs, you really have no choice unless you want to risk a bill for tampering with D*'s equipment.

#70 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm in the process of filling up a 24-500 to see how that affects the 500. My wife just filled up her stock 24-100 and that experienced no bogging down of the HR. I don't recall anyone doing this yet. The 500 has a 2TB internal drive in it. If I tried this with a 20-700, it would slow the HR down. I'm below 30% Available on the 500 and, so far, I haven't noticed any change in speed when doing anything.

But the 34 is another story. If you stick a 2TB HDD externally on that, you're gonna fill it up quickly with five inputs. I haven't read anything about how the 34s work with a full HDD. You'd think D* took this into consideration when they made the 34 with those five inputs. You'd think.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

So far the only downside to the HR34 is the old school orange and blue SD guide. D* is still developing the HD guide for it. I'm still trying to fill up my 2TB external drive. Recorded on all 5 tuners all night and am only at 10% capacity. It will take me a week or so get it 100% filled for complete testing. No issues so far at all though; no slowing or bogging down, etc.

#72 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Got the WD20EARX over 95% full (finally) and there is not even a slight reduction in response time. Humming along flawlessly now for more than 9 days. Love it!

#73 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the report !

#74 OFFLINE   hunters1234

hunters1234

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm having my HR34 installed on Sat, and now that it has been a few months since the last post in this thread, I was wondering if there was any new info on what drive I should get to add capacity to the unit. Thanks for any help.

#75 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm having my HR34 installed on Sat, and now that it has been a few months since the last post in this thread, I was wondering if there was any new info on what drive I should get to add capacity to the unit. Thanks for any help.

If you can get the lastest Test Firmware on your unit . Do a search on here people are using Raid 5 and can get up to 12 terabytes maybe more !

#76 OFFLINE   hunters1234

hunters1234

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

12 TB may be a bit more than what I need. Any thoughts on where to get a compatible 2 TB drive?

#77 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

In a store. In Internet stores.

#78 OFFLINE   hunters1234

hunters1234

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ya thanks. I was thinking "compatible" models that work with the HR34.

#79 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Just search/read here - everyone who tried it, already posted results.

#80 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

WD drives work well with DirectV

spam firewall