Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 External Hard Drive Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

If you can get the lastest Test Firmware on your unit . Do a search on here people are using Raid 5 and can get up to 12 terabytes maybe more !

I'd be wary about going that far. Sure the data is safe, but it might as well be lost if the DVR fan goes out or something.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   hunters1234

hunters1234

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Rick, any WD external eSATA 2 GB drive will definitely work?

#83 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

I believe it is advised to use one of their AV drives.

#84 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Rick, any WD external eSATA 2 GB drive will definitely work?

Yes

#85 OFFLINE   hunters1234

hunters1234

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

How about if I get a WD SATA hdd and put it any eSATA enclosure...would that work? Thanks

#86 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

12 TB may be a bit more than what I need. Any thoughts on where to get a compatible 2 TB drive?

Any WD Caviar Green 2TB will work, some folks are using Seagates. You'd have to search for those models.

Rich

#87 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

How about if I get a WD SATA hdd and put it any eSATA enclosure...would that work? Thanks

Try the Thermaltake Black X docking station. I'd send you a link, but Amazon won't let me since I've bought them from them and all you'd get is a form for my username and password.

Rich

#88 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I would not go that far...many have tried various makes and models of enclosures and not all are created equal. That is why in these threads just a few makes and models of enclosures are recommended. The Antec MX-1 and the Thermaltake BlacX are two of the more popular models. There are a few other guys who can recommend RAID enclosures if you are trying to get some kind of data recoverable solution.

#89 OFFLINE   hunters1234

hunters1234

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for that detailed answer CCarncross

#90 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hay mavs-fan; I don't recommend opening the casing of your D* equipment. Simply using an external enclosure is much simpler, is just as effective, and does nothing to jeopardize your leasing agreement. I am using the WD20EARX inside the Antec MX-1 enclosure. The absolute best HDD to use is the WD20EURS if you can find one as it's specifically designed for DVR applications, but they're rare these days and anyone who has one knows it and will charge you around $250+. Amazon and Newegg have the WD20EARX for only $129. The WD20EARS is also a solid choice as the only real difference between the WD20EARS and the WD20EARX is the transfer speed (the WD20EARS is 3 Gb/s and the WD20EARX is 6 Gb/s). The HR24 and the HR34 are both only capable of 1.5 Gb/s so either HDD is more than you need. The WD Caviar Black drives are simply overkill as the 7200rpm rotational speeds cause the drive to run warmer and it's simply not needed in this application. As stated earlier in this thread; if you have any issues with your external setup, make sure to check your eSata cable before worrying about anything else - LOL. Good luck!

Amazon.com has the WD20EURS for $108.12 if anyone wants one.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#91 OFFLINE   stubing

stubing

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hello - This is my first post here after several months of lurking and researching. :D Like many, I've been waiting for DTV to offer the HR34 Genie system to us loyal customers at a reasonable price instead of just the new customers. I called yesterday and was pleased to find out that I finally qualified to get the HR34, 2 clients, SWiM, and Cinema kit - all for free. (With a 2 year contract extension of course :rolleyes: ) So I've got that scheduled for install on March 11th.

Now the fun part. I've been reading in a couple of threads that folks have had good success with the Thermaltake and Antec enclosures, and the WD AV-GP line of drives. A normal person would take that advice and run with it. But I've decided to take one for the team and test out a different enclosure. I just ordered the Mediasonic PRORAID 4 Bay Raid Enclosure (HFR2-SU3S2). After a bit of looking around I found that the cheapest place to get it was from the Mediasonic website. ($199 + free shipping) If someone else on this forum has tested this enclosure I apologize - I haven't seen the thread. I was drawn to this enclosure because it seems to perform more like one would expect during a drive failure and rebuild. Some of the user feedback I've read for the Sans Digital enclosures is downright scary during a drive failure. Some of their enclosures apparently drop offline if a drive fails - as if they are incapable of running in degraded mode. I come from an enterprise data center background and that just doesn't make sense. Feedback that I've read for the Mediasonic above leads me to believe that it will function more like an enterprise class RAID device. (stays online during a drive failure, online hot-swap rebuilds, etc) WE WILL SEE ;) After all, the only reason I've decided to use an external enclosure is for fault tolerance, so I expect that to function as advertised.

For the drives - I just ordered 4 1TB WD WD10EURX from Amazon for $83/ea. The plan is to run this in a RAID 10 configuration. I went with this config for 2 reasons. It should yield slightly better performance than RAID 5, and it will also give me a net of 2TB. I know several folks have been getting larger sizes working with their DVR's, but I figured I've gambled enough with the enclosure. :D

Sorry to be so long winded here, but I'm sure there are a few folks that would love to see if this works or not, including myself. I will definitely report back here with feedback for those interested. It will be mid-March before everything is up and running. Talk to you guys soon.

Edited by stubing, 01 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.
Provided link

#92 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hello - This is my first post here after several months of lurking and researching. :D Like many, I've been waiting for DTV to offer the HR34 Genie system to us loyal customers at a reasonable price instead of just the new customers. I called yesterday and was pleased to find out that I finally qualified to get the HR34, 2 clients, SWiM, and Cinema kit - all for free. (With a 2 year contract extension of course :rolleyes: ) So I've got that scheduled for install on March 11th.

Now the fun part. I've been reading in a couple of threads that folks have had good success with the Thermaltake and Antec enclosures, and the WD AV-GP line of drives. A normal person would take that advice and run with it. But I've decided to take one for the team and test out a different enclosure. I just ordered the Mediasonic PRORAID 4 Bay Raid Enclosure (HFR2-SU3S2). After a bit of looking around I found that the cheapest place to get it was from the Mediasonic website. ($199 + free shipping) If someone else on this forum has tested this enclosure I apologize - I haven't seen the thread. I was drawn to this enclosure because it seems to perform more like one would expect during a drive failure and rebuild. Some of the user feedback I've read for the Sans Digital enclosures is downright scary during a drive failure. Some of their enclosures apparently drop offline if a drive fails - as if they are incapable of running in degraded mode. I come from an enterprise data center background and that just doesn't make sense. Feedback that I've read for the Mediasonic above leads me to believe that it will function more like an enterprise class RAID device. (stays online during a drive failure, online hot-swap rebuilds, etc) WE WILL SEE ;) After all, the only reason I've decided to use an external enclosure is for fault tolerance, so I expect that to function as advertised.

For the drives - I just ordered 4 1TB WD WD10EURX from Amazon for $83/ea. The plan is to run this in a RAID 10 configuration. I went with this config for 2 reasons. It should yield slightly better performance than RAID 5, and it will also give me a net of 2TB. I know several folks have been getting larger sizes working with their DVR's, but I figured I've gambled enough with the enclosure. :D

Sorry to be so long winded here, but I'm sure there are a few folks that would love to see if this works or not, including myself. I will definitely report back here with feedback for those interested. It will be mid-March before everything is up and running. Talk to you guys soon.

If you're truly afraid of the SansDigital enclosure, which you shouldn't be, then you don't want to go with this one either. It's the same enclosure, just a different name, as one I've used on my HR34 and had no problems though.

Same guts, similar case: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use nothing but Sans Digital enclosures when I want to use RAID on an HR and haven't had any issues.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

If you're truly afraid of the SansDigital enclosure, which you shouldn't be, then you don't want to go with this one either. It's the same enclosure, just a different name, as one I've used on my HR34 and had no problems though.

Same guts, similar case: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use nothing but Sans Digital enclosures when I want to use RAID on an HR and haven't had any issues.

Huh. If I recall correctly, your RAID box was only ~ $100. That's a big difference in pricing.

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Huh. If I recall correctly, your RAID box was only ~ $100. That's a big difference in pricing.

Rich

I've used 2 different RAID boxes. A 2 drive version, that was in the neighborhood of $100, and a 4 drive version which is the one I linked to above.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#95 OFFLINE   stubing

stubing

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

It's the same enclosure, just a different name, as one I've used on my HR34 and had no problems though.

Same guts, similar case

Thanks for making me aware of this Runner. If anything, this almost guarantees that mine should work since yours does. Maybe the feedback I read was for a cheaper/older Sans Digital enclosure? Regardless, I'm glad to know this. I will still report back once this is up and running.

#96 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for making me aware of this Runner. If anything, this almost guarantees that mine should work since yours does. Maybe the feedback I read was for a cheaper/older Sans Digital enclosure? Regardless, I'm glad to know this. I will still report back once this is up and running.

The negative feedback I've read on the SansDigital enclosures has either been from people who have no idea how to use it or about the wrong enclosure completely.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#97 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

The negative feedback I've read on the SansDigital enclosures has either been from people who have no idea how to use it or about the wrong enclosure completely.

I am an expert. I've owned two SansDigital enclosures. Never, ever, ever, again.

#98 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I am an expert. I've owned two SansDigital enclosures. Never, ever, ever, again.

I too am an expert and have no problem with them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#99 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Who need such "experts" who operating two or four RAID boxes total ? :D

#100 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Who need such "experts" who operating two or four RAID boxes total ? :D

I do far more work with RAID than just "two or four RAID boxes total".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...