Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 External Hard Drive Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Choir

Choir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Decided to upgrade the storage on my HR34.

Ordered a 3TB WD AV-GP hard drive (WD30EURS) and a Thermaltake enclosure (ST0021U).
I wanted to get the Antec MX-1 but it is out of stock everywhere, I am wondering if it has been discontinued.

I am going to try and set it up this weekend.
What is the procedure?
RBR on the HR34 and power on the enclosure while the HR34 is rebooting?

Thanks,

Choir

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Ordered a 3TB WD AV-GP hard drive (WD30EURS) and a Thermaltake enclosure (ST0021U).
I wanted to get the Antec MX-1 but it is out of stock everywhere, I am wondering if it has been discontinued.

What is the procedure?

Attach the dock, put the drive in the dock and do a menu reboot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#123 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Attach the dock, put the drive in the dock and do a menu reboot.

Does that method work with the 24s?

Rich

#124 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Does that method work with the 24s?

Rich

It did/does on my HR24-500. I can't speak for the -100 or -200 for sure but I don't think it would be much different.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#125 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

I recommend completely shutting down the HR, regardless of model, by doing a menu restart receiver, then pull the power cord when all the lights go out. Hook up the dock, insert the drive, power on the dock/drive combo, wait about 15-30 seconds for drive to fully spin up, plug the dvr back in and let it boot. It should recognize the external during boot process, format it, and give you 100% free space.

#126 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

It did/does on my HR24-500. I can't speak for the -100 or -200 for sure but I don't think it would be much different.

I can see how it would work, but I'd be afraid of the external device going south.

Rich

#127 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I recommend completely shutting down the HR, regardless of model, by doing a menu restart receiver, then pull the power cord when all the lights go out. Hook up the dock, insert the drive, power on the dock/drive combo, wait about 15-30 seconds for drive to fully spin up, plug the dvr back in and let it boot. It should recognize the external during boot process, format it, and give you 100% free space.

Yeah, I'll stick with the method (above) we've been recommending. As I said in my last post, I'd be afraid of the external device (they are cheap) going south. I know RunnerFL is using a more expensive RAID setup on his HR34.

Rich

#128 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Which external device are you using on the 24-500 and which HDD do you have in it (the external device)?

Rich

#129 OFFLINE   Choir

Choir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

What is the procedure?

Thanks,

Choir

Got it installed over the weekend, everything went smoothly.

Only problem I had was with the series links.
I wrote down the series links on the internal drive and tried to duplicate them after I installed the external drive.
Problem was I couldn't figure out a way to add a series link except finding the desired show in the program guide and then hitting "record series".
It took a while to rebuild the program guide (about 20 hours or so), and some of the series links are for shows that aren't on right now (i.e. Boardwalk Empire).

I will update how well the enclosure and HD are doing in a couple months.

Thanks,

Choir

#130 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

If you would go with well known upgrade path while preserving existing content of a drive (recordings, setting, etc) you would be in better position...
See dedicated thread "Copy ..."

#131 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Which external device are you using on the 24-500 and which HDD do you have in it (the external device)?

Rich

On my 24-500 I had to go with a WD drive. One of my usual Seagate drives wouldn't work even though the internal is a Seagate.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#132 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Problem was I couldn't figure out a way to add a series link except finding the desired show in the program guide and then hitting "record series".

You can either do it that way or press record twice when the show is highlighted in the guide.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#133 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

On my 24-500 I had to go with a WD drive. One of my usual Seagate drives wouldn't work even though the internal is a Seagate.

I've had that happen a few times. You go thru all that trouble and a Seagate doesn't work externally and you know there's an internal Seagate. Puzzling, to say the least.

What external device are you using? On the 500?

Rich

#134 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I've had that happen a few times. You go thru all that trouble and a Seagate doesn't work externally and you know there's an internal Seagate. Puzzling, to say the least.

Yeah, very. I was ready to pull my hair out.

What external device are you using? On the 500?

A TT dock.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#135 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, very. I was ready to pull my hair out.

A TT dock.

Huh, I've had problems with WD drives used externally on 500s. Perhaps the next time I get a leased 500 I'll give a Seagate Pipeline a shot. Thanx.

Rich

#136 OFFLINE   AndyInNYC

AndyInNYC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Can I configure an external eSata box with a Genie and create a RAID 5 array with 4 3TB drives without issues? I can't seem to find any answers as to whether this will work or not.

thanks,

Andrew

#137 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Can I configure an external eSata box with a Genie and create a RAID 5 array with 4 3TB drives without issues? I can't seem to find any answers as to whether this will work or not.

thanks,

Andrew

It all depends on the enclosure you use.  See the eSATA recommendation thread, there are several enclosures listed in there.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...