Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Megaupload shut down

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...ith-piracy.html

Guess that music video didn't help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hardly shocking.

#3 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, but payback is a B****! :lol:

http://rt.com/usa/ne...ersal-sopa-235/

Hacktivists with the collective Anonymous are waging an attack on the website for the White House after successfully breaking the sites for the FBI, Department of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA and Motion Picture Association of America.

In response to today’s federal raid on the file sharing service Megaupload, hackers with the online collective Anonymous have broken the websites for the FBI, Department of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA, Motion Picture Association of America and Warner Music Group.

“It was in retaliation for Megaupload, as was the concurrent attack on Justice.org,” Anonymous operative Barrett Brown tells RT on Thursday afternoon.

#4 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

I am as against censorship as the next guy, but they start to lose me when they use the shutting down of the largest piracy website on the planet as a reason to fight back.

That would be like the NRA using the seizure of illegally imported automatic weapons as a cry for Second Ammendment rights.

Edited by hilmar2k, 20 January 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Strange how some folks equate preventing theft with censorship. :confused:

#7 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Another movement inspired by youth that doesn't want to pay for stuff. Censorship....right...what a load of BS.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

I've never used this site. I've never even heard of it until this thread and then the news stories. I don't share songs or movies. I don't even own that many in digital form. Most of the music I have is on 33 1/3 LPs

But this is exactly the kind of heavy handed tactics that should never be allowed. Deal with it at a civil level, not criminal. Apparently this site was used by quite a few for legitimate purposes. Percentage? Who knows.

Serve a civil warrant or a cease and desist order to take down infringing items, but leave the site up for legitimate uses. If I buy some songs, why shouldn't I be able to upload them for access from another device? What's the difference between copying them to a thumbdrive and carrying them around, or uploading to a cloud drive? The Cloud is the future, right?

I'd like to see the courts restore this site in part and slap the FBI and the 'corporatocracy' that initiated this mess.

I mean, seriously, the New Zealand police using extreme force to cut through walls of a secure safe room? Over some songs and movies?

Curtailing the RIAA would be doing something useful.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have to say, this doesn't surprise me a bit. I have had occasion to use this site in the past, when customers have sent me files through it. The whole experience was offputting.

I do think that there is a difference between preventing piracy and creating censorship, and somewhere in the middle is a reasonable copyright policy that encourages innovation while protecting artists for a REASONABLE period of time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

and somewhere in the middle is a reasonable copyright policy that encourages innovation while protecting artists for a REASONABLE period of time.

Did you hear that the Supreme Court decided Public Domain works can be re-copyrighted?

http://www.wired.com...right-decision/
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

Did you hear that the Supreme Court decided Public Domain works can be re-copyrighted?

http://www.wired.com...right-decision/

This decision was made to bring the US in compliance with international copyright law, to which the US was a party. In the US several works had fallen to the public domain, but internationally those works were still copyrighted, so it started in lower courts saying that the US had to adhere to the international laws and honor the copyrights, removing the works from the public domain. The decision was challenged and upheld at several levels until finally the Supreme Court agreed with the lower court decisions: if the work was internationally copyrighted, the US had to honor those copyrights and the work could not remain public domain.

Intellectual Property rights are a touchy subject to many, but in this case I think the SCOTUS made the right call, as much as I know it will hurt small orchestras, theater groups and non-profits who can't afford to pay for the rights to use the material that is now re-copyrighted.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Some of the stories I've seen miss the major point that you bring up, Drew, it's not just any public domain work. Someone can't just go and re-copyright Shakespeare.

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Inside the lavish lifestyle of Megaupload's founder.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#14 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Megaupload got greedy as hell. Then they put celebrity endorsements in the face if the RIAA. Idiots.

Piracy will NEVER be stopped but it can certainly be more discreet than Megaupload.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#15 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

It seems in that in anticipation of possible new SOPA & PIPA regulations, along with the recent closure and arrests made in conjunction with Megauploads, other major file sharing hosts runing scared as well.

Just take a look at the new disclaimer and reduced functionality @ Filesonic which limits their service to personal use only only:

Attached Thumbnails

• FileSonic.com.jpg
  • FileSonic.jpg

Edited by Yoda-DBSguy, 23 January 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

And so it begins.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#18 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

There are no such things as SOPA and PIPA regulations. These were BILLS that had not been passed into law. Heck, they hadn't even made it out of their respective chambers yet. Megaupload was taken down using current laws. This could certainly serve as proof that we don't NEED *new* laws, enforcing old one will serve quite nicely, thankyouverymuch.

#19 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

The Megaupload bust was done with the cooperation of other countries. China, for one, won't work with us on these issues.

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Megaupload was generally used for doing stuff you shouldn't be doing. Sure there may have been some legitimacy attached to the site but I don't know anyone that used it that way.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...