Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Megaupload shut down

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Posted Image

Personal Opinion:

Sorry.. I think the later rule is what is wrong...
4 years for taking the life of someone else, is what isn't correct.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

I do think that there is a difference between preventing piracy and creating censorship, and somewhere in the middle is a reasonable copyright policy that encourages innovation while protecting artists for a REASONABLE period of time.

Heh. Like movies for 99 years!! :nono::nono2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

There are no such things as SOPA and PIPA regulations. These were BILLS that had not been passed into law. Heck, they hadn't even made it out of their respective chambers yet. Megaupload was taken down using current laws. This could certainly serve as proof that we don't NEED *new* laws, enforcing old one will serve quite nicely, thankyouverymuch.

Heh. Way too simple and straightforward, methinks!
:nono2:

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Personal Opinion:

Sorry.. I think the later rule is what is wrong...
4 years for taking the life of someone else, is what isn't correct.

Agreed.

But the illustration said "killed". Is that what happened, really? Or just some terrible lapses in judgement?
I didn't follow the case, and I don't even play a lawyer on TV or stage, but was this not manslaughter?

#25 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Manslaughter and killed = the same thing. Murder is a different story.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#26 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Manslaughter and killed = the same thing. Murder is a different story.

Manslaughter = woops

#27 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Interesting turn this took, with the question essentially: does the punishment fit the crime?

Is piracy worse than manslaughter (justifying an extra year of incarceration for piracy)? On the face of it, no.

Piracy of IP content is a white collar crime that many think is victim-less, but I'm not sure of that, yet I do have a problem with someone only serving 4 years for manslaughter versus 5 years for piracy.

Then I think about another "white collar crime" involving theft of intellectual property that can result in a life sentence or execution: espionage and stealing/selling state secrets. And I have no problem with a life sentence for a traitor.

I guess what I would settle on is that all crime and punishment has to be relative, and this is why we have juries and judges and appeals processes in the event that a punishment is too harsh...

#28 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

Interesting turn this took, with the question essentially: does the punishment fit the crime?

Is piracy worse than manslaughter (justifying an extra year of incarceration for piracy)?

Piracy of IP content is a white collar crime that many think is victim-less, but I'm not sure of that, yet I do have a problem with someone only serving 4 years for manslaughter versus 5 years for piracy.

This is the kind of thing that causes jail/prison overcrowding. Too many people facing or doing time for non-violent offenses.

This should be a civil matter only, not criminal. Reasonable fines, penalties or restitution, but no jail time.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#29 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

A New Zealand judge has ruled that investigators obtained evidence unlawfully in a search of Megaupload.com founder Kim Dotcom’s home, dealing a huge blow to the U.S. case against the online file-sharing company.

High Court Chief Justice Helen Winkelmann said in the ruling Thursday that warrants used by New Zealand authorities to conduct the search at the FBI's behest were too broadly defined and “did not adequately describe the offenses to which they were related.”

“Indeed, they fell well short of that,” she said in the 56-page ruling. “They were general warrants, and as such, are invalid.”

http://www.latimes.c...0,3879393.story

(Reuters) - Search warrants used when 70 New Zealand police raided the mansion of the suspected kingpin of an Internet piracy ring were illegal, a New Zealand court ruled on Thursday, dealing a blow to the FBI's highest profile global copyright theft case.

German national Kim Dotcom, also known as Kim Schmitz, was one of four men arrested in January as part of an investigation of his Megaupload.com website led by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

------

On Thursday, High Court Judge Justice Helen Winkelmann found the warrants used in the seizure of property from Dotcom's mansion near Auckland were illegal and that moves by the FBI to copy data from Dotcom's computer and take it offshore were also unlawful.

http://in.reuters.co...E85R08720120628

And what were the cops looking for? They didn't know, exactly. Because they were not investigating the case—the FBI was doing that—the police executing the search had limited knowledge of what was truly useful and necessary. As the judge put it, the people executing the warrant "were not the investigating officers and had limited knowledge of the operation," despite being briefed before the raid went down.

http://arstechnica.c...n-raid-illegal/

Edited by SayWhat?, 28 June 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,476 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

And that's why we in the "first world" have courts that can overturn the actions of the executive branches of our governments. The system may not always be perfect, but usually it stumbles through to the right decision.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#31 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Prosecutors concede that they have failed to serve a criminal summons upon a Megaupload officer but still say a federal judge should uphold its indictment.

Lots more legalese here: http://www.courthous...01/16/53993.htm

Between this and the other case in the news, me t'inks the US Attorneys Office needs some clearing out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...