Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Data Recovery on Dead 722K

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dontech

dontech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

My 722K died today with the fan running continuously, no boot, and no video. I had a heat warning the day before and nothing has changed in my environment. I have heard no noises from the hard drive and I watched my DVR last night without any issues. I really believe that the problem is not in the hard drive, but in the receiver itself. Is there any way to retrieve the data if the drive is ok? Without a running 722k, I can't copy data to an external drive. Could the drive be mounted on a Linux machine and the data burned into an image to be restored to an external drive? Thanks for suggestions

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yes, you could do sector-by-sector (beacuse of proprietary file system using for 622/722/722k) copy by say "Ghost -ir", but it would require a) owning the DVR B) do fix/repair THE DVR, as that copy drive should be installed back c) new drive MUST be picked from limited list of approved models (you can find the list on the site).

You just missed good opportunity (no fee) connect any external USB drive and archive all your valuable recordings ! While your DVR worked.

#3 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Try unplugging it for a couple hours and try again. I would also suggest having an external hard drive handy to move the recordings to if it does happen to start up.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

Put dead body aside, wait for a few hours .. It could come alive ... :D

#5 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

I had a 622 like that once. I kept it running by removing the top (there was no tamper seal) and pointing a 12 inch desk fan at the insides. It was noisy but it stayed alive long enough to copy quite a few of my recordings to an external drive.

Keith

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

I had a 622 like that once. I kept it running by removing the top (there was no tamper seal) and pointing a 12 inch desk fan at the insides. It was noisy but it stayed alive long enough to copy quite a few of my recordings to an external drive.

Keith

I would use small refrigerator for that saving process :).

spam firewall