Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP922 - S1.16 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Not sure what it fixed or broke. Can't find any notes on it yet.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

It's supposed to be a lot of bug fixes. No BB@H because developers were focused on Hopper.

One fix I was really hoping for is the missing EHD. Today my EHD is missing.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

But Twitter is working ! As for XiP813.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I can now Sling to my laptop here at home, now need to try from a remote location.
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01

#5 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Just read on the Dish support forum:

VOD Fix, new Sling firmware, Stretched lower banner fix, Misc stability fixes

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Just read on the Dish support forum:

Here is the link.

#7 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

It could be my imagination or my OCD acting up again, but DRA and DO seems to be quicker on startups. I had a error 4 on the first day after the update since that no issues at all on the Macs I use. I haven't tried the PC side yet though.

all mobiles I have are working

Edited by 356B, 22 January 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#8 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

The upgrade has a few problems every few days requiring several resets to clear and recurring...

• Can't see Media Center / list DLNA devices after a few days, refresh doesn't cut it after many attempts. i.e via PlayOn (Pandora, Netflix, Hulu). It's like the ethernet service went to sleep.
  • When TV1 is recording, can't select another channel, "Error, a recording is in progress". Trying to record the second program results in the same error message. It's like the second tuner suddenly doesn't exist.
  • When "nothing" is recording on TV1 or TV2 and I press the record button, cannot leave the channel recording and watch something else. Dialog box reads "Do you want to stop recording and return to Live TV mode?" Y/N. So I have an available tuner and no way to access it. Sorta defeats two tuners.
  • After reset, hidden skipped channels show up in the DVR scheduled list requiring the push of the yellow button to hide skipped channels. Pressing previous page now shows a history of every show you stopped or canceled.
  • Some recordings now hang / freeze / black screen halfway during playback forever. Only cancel gets you out and resume sticks you back into black screen. *Must delete all programs in the folder so the folder is deleted and new recording creates new folder to fix. Caused by a mount failure when something goes wrong with folder creation the first go time.
  • When playing back a program currently being recorded on TV2, Live TV option now starts the program at the begining.
  • Playing a DVR recording or Media Center DLNA device wipes out the LiveTV buffer.

Remaining problems

• Can't edit out not subscribed channels from Favorites List
  • Upon Power off / on, last Favorite list not remembered
  • No hide duplicate SD channels option in Favorites
  • No Blockbuster feature
  • Slingbox useless from browsers on networks requiring a Proxy port. i.e. most hotels now and office locations? i.e. If Skype, GotoMeeting and Lync can navigate Proxy ports, so should Slingbox.
  • Slingbox feature cannot be opted out to reduce monthly fee.
  • While Media Center remote control functions << and >> are supported. On Pandora these keys select next or previous artist. Skip needs to be enabled to select next song.
  • If program is in timer list but you want to record once (1 rerun), you have to change timer to record new and reruns and after recording is completed change timer back to record only new. i.e. can't just push record to get the one off.
  • In Duo mode if both tuners are recording TV1/TV2 and you want to watch a program on TV2, swap function does not work. Must select DVR list to find program recording on TV2 and select live or play. Live is actually a point on the recording in progress, so at the end of the show you are prompted to choose live TV and the show shows 100% watched in the DVR program list. Live should mean Live, not played and watched.
  • Record button defaults to once and selecting recording settings grays out series options. Work around is to push Info and record series options become available.
  • No ability to choose channel and show only upcoming programming in the EPG for that specific channel. (left arrow over the network icon and press select maybe?)
  • Trying to select RF channels out in whole home a mess, change TV2 RF out channel but then can't select TV1's RF channel out without completely exiting the menu and going back into settings. The best way to explain this is go to settings and try to change both TV1 and TV2 RF out channels at one time. i.e. Kaopectate moment on that screen.
  • TV1/TV2 recordings do not follow Timers list order (priority). i.e. The Good Wife is timer 9, Once Upon a Time is timer 22. DVR schedules Once Upon a Time on TV1 instead of TV2. Without swap working you have to select the DVR list and play live or recording of The Good Wife.
  • Home Link Ethernet works over home AC and cannot be plugged into a surge protector because surge protectors block the transmission frequency. So if my DVR is plugged into a surge protector and Home Link is not, that 3k volt lightning surge just comes into the DVR through the Home Link coax combiner? Most excellent!
  • When a program is set to record up to 3 episodes, often times the DVR keeps 4 to 6 until it finally records an episode around the high number and drops the last 2 or 3 episodes and goes back to 3.
  • When playing music or movie through DLNA via PlayOn (Pandora, Netflix, Hulu), pressing the Guide or DVR keys disconnects the DLNA media device. The DLNA playback device should be considered a channel and show up in the EPG's pip screen unless a channel or DVR recorded program is selected.
  • If watching a program from the beginning and you decide to record it, recording starts at button press not from the begining of the LiveTV buffer.

Best features: Network icon next to the channel number in the EPG. Media Center with DLNA support.
Worst features: Whole home distribution TV1/TV2 RF channels crippled by NTSC analog. Home Link over home AC.
Disappointments: While Dish is too busy screwing the new Ambiguously Gay Duo DVR which doesn't support EPG Channel network icons or Media Center / DLNA, the 922 would be Dish's flagship DVR if these issues were resolved.

Edited by Marcus S, 07 March 2012 - 01:06 PM.

VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#9 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

My experience is not the same as yours, speaking only to your first four bullet points, although you sound like you have multiple symptoms, and a full refresh of the software would be in order. You don't say whether you have done a full hardware reset by pulling the AC power for 30 seconds or not, but if you haven't, that would be a good thing maybe.

My experience on my 922 is that there is almost no noticeable change from S115 except that I see the low-banner on some of the movie channels is now sized from edge to edge, and also that the slinging may be more reliable and slightly faster to connect.

Edited by garygaryj, 28 January 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

I can now Sling to my laptop here at home, now need to try from a remote location.

Last night I took my laptop to a restaurant, logged in to dishonline.com, but couldn't even see my list of recordings or timers even after doing Reset Connection. Thinking it might be a problem with that hot spot, I also checked from a Taco Bell parking lot and again at home with the same results.

#11 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

Was a Dish subscriber from 96 through 02 until Dish sent bad software upgrades to the model 5000 rendering it useless and offered their loyal customers a replacement HD receiver at their cost. Switched to Direct through 2011 at which time Direct decided that sending HR20 replacements for failed HR23's was ok. So in answer to your question garygaryj, yes... I pulled the power plug from the wall.

Edited by Marcus S, 31 January 2012 - 12:49 AM.

VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#12 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Sorry, Marcus. No intention to offend. Certainly hard to tell what folks have done or not, or what experience level. I'm sorry for your troubles. I am also a person that has been both DirecTV and Dish customer. Both companies have their issues, for sure!

#13 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

None taken. It does seem that these providers like to pull boners on their subscriber base every 5 years or so. My new motto maybe, "new every two". If either would spend as much time fixing their policies and software bugs as they do trying to entice loyal subscribers to stay or comeback, they wouldn't lose them in the first place. $200 offers after you leave to get you back, profit loss on loyal non-contract subscribers which have been paying full package cost for years, cost to install new customers and prorate service cost for 1 year...

would pay for a dedicated software engineer @ 100k annual salary per active DVR model.

Edited by Marcus S, 12 February 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   labmansid

labmansid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Not sure if this is related to the update or not, but it just started occurring yesterday. Came home yesterday and today both to my 922 seemingly powered down and unresponsive to any remote commands, no lights on, no picture. The fan sounded much louder than normal, as in I could hear it from across the room. In order to get anything on it, I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Takes forever to boot back up when this happens. It just went black on me again after only a few minutes of viewing. :mad: :mad: :mad:
This is not going to cut it, Dish!!

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

I will tel you one secret - do open small front door and find little RED button. So next time, instead of play with a power cord, just press it. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   labmansid

labmansid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Actually, I forgot to mention I tried that first, as usual when there seems to be a problem with the receiver, did nothing. Until yesterday, it had been pretty reliable as far as I was concerned. It just went kaput again as I was typing this!! :(

#17 OFFLINE   labmansid

labmansid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Well, I did the chat with tech support, they said my issue is probably not related to the software update, but the timing is weird to me. Will be getting a new receiver soon. :(

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Easy for them to replace it then troubleshoot with you and escalate to FW develop dept.
Perhaps CSR have no skills to do that.

#19 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Possible S116 bug?

It seems to me that I used to be able to play a DVR recorded video from the 922's hard drive without disrupting the buffer of the LiveTV I am watching. (I'm on Solo/Pip mode.)

But now, if I play a DVR recording, the Live TV buffer is not there upon return to Live TV. It is starting up a new buffer.

Am I wrong about this? Has it always been like this?
(I know this happens as well with the new Weather icon on the Menu from the S115+ release.)

#20 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Possible S116 bug?

It seems to me that I used to be able to play a DVR recorded video from the 922's hard drive without disrupting the buffer of the LiveTV I am watching. (I'm on Solo/Pip mode.)

But now, if I play a DVR recording, the Live TV buffer is not there upon return to Live TV. It is starting up a new buffer.

Am I wrong about this? Has it always been like this?
(I know this happens as well with the new Weather icon on the Menu from the S115+ release.)

On my 722k it's always been that way the only way to preserve the live buffer if it's a program you may want to watch later is to make sure both live buffers( tuners) are on the same channel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...