Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722k or dish problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kerry71

Kerry71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

A little background:

We have been having signal loss problems since we upgraded to the 722k (from a 5xx) in July. At first I put up with it because it happened occasionally (maybe once a week). And it would happen on bright sunny days. Starting earlier this week, it was quite often and Thursday pretty much all day.

So FF to Friday morning...signal loss again so I call Dish and they send a tech out, he says the receiver is bad and I am only getting signal off of one satellite (or something like that ;). He replaces my receiver (I lose ALL my 150+ hrs of recordings on it , mind you :() and this morning...no signal again. :mad:

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on? I am definately going to call Dish again as I am not a happy customer right now.:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

What are your signal strengths? Press Menu, System Setup, Diagnostics, Analysis, Send Status. Pick Connection, after it tests for BB/Phone it will light up the Check Signal button. This will check the 4 main transponders on each satellite (should be three of them: either 110, 119, 129 or 61.5, 72.7, 77) Post your results up here.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Knowing other clue - external USB enclosure with a drive up 2 TB is FREE ! - would help you save all yours 150+ recordings (regardless of the signal issue). Duh !

#4 OFFLINE   Kerry71

Kerry71

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

What are your signal strengths? Press Menu, System Setup, Diagnostics, Analysis, Send Status. Pick Connection, after it tests for BB/Phone it will light up the Check Signal button. This will check the 4 main transponders on each satellite (should be three of them: either 110, 119, 129 or 61.5, 72.7, 77) Post your results up here.

Dish tech has been here and gone and says those were fine (as the tech yesterday said)

Knowing other clue - external USB enclosure with a drive up 2 TB is FREE ! - would help you save all yours 150+ recordings (regardless of the signal issue). Duh !

Yeah...I wished I would have thought to get a hard drive, but lessons learned. Oh well..only TV, right?

Thanks for your responses...tech was here this afternoon...changed a few more connections and all 'seems' to be fine for now.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

Cabling, barrels, F-connectors, switch, LNBFs... All should be checked.

#6 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

When you lose signal does it say Complete or Partial signal loss? Do you have an OTA antenna connected to the receiver?

#7 OFFLINE   Kerry71

Kerry71

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Cabling, barrels, F-connectors, switch, LNBFs... All should be checked.

I am assuming they checked everything and they did replace all the connectors while here (the second tech replaced what the first didn't). I was not here when the first tech was (husband was).

When you lose signal does it say Complete or Partial signal loss? Do you have an OTA antenna connected to the receiver?

We have gotten both msgs (not at the same time ;)) and no we don't have an OTA antenna connected.

Things seem to be working fine now (knocking on wood ;))

Protected By... spam firewall...And...