Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can you move a Nomad between Customer Accounts?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Does anyone know if its possible to move a nomad between accounts?

My buddy has one but as far as I know its still in the box, so I would like to ask to borrow it and try it out, but I'm wondering if that commits me to buying it from him, or whether if I don't like the device, give it back to him?
Half a DLB, Half a DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

My buddy has one but as far as I know its still in the box, so I would like to ask to borrow it and try it out, but I'm wondering if that commits me to buying it from him, or whether if I don't like the device, give it back to him?

I don't believe that can be done, as it is an "owned" device and assigned to a user's account.

What CAN be done is to have your friend's mobile device included as a "trial" in your account list for mobile "clients" (you can have up to 5 devices).

That would allow him to install the nomad client at your location, download content, and view it (for the 30-day time limit). Perhaps once he does that, he'll consider buying one on his own account.

It is also recommended to uninstall the "trial" client on your account once that preview viewing is done, so that your account doesn't "lock" up one of your 5 client licenses.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,292 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

So, how does it work if you buy a nomad from a private party? There must be a way to transfer a nomad from one account to another...

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

So, how does it work if you buy a nomad from a private party? There must be a way to transfer a nomad from one account to another...

You'll have to call DirecTV and get them to (re)register the device to your account.

#5 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,292 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

You'll have to call DirecTV and get them to (re)register the device to your account.

I think that's the answer to the OP. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

I think that's the answer to the OP. :)

Sort of....he was also talking about "try before you buy" somewhat...

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

The official answer is that it is possible but you need to get a CSR involved, and due to the rarity of this happening, it may take you a while to find a CSR who can do this.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

....It is also recommended to uninstall the "trial" client on your account once that preview viewing is done, so that your account doesn't "lock" up one of your 5 client licenses.

Just to be clear, unistalling the client does not "free up" a device slot. There is no mechanism in place to remove a registered client UNTIL you fill all 5 slots. Upon trying to register a 6th mobile device, you will prompted to select which of the existing clients you wish to remove.

Note that once you remove a client, it can not be re-registered for 30 days.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Just to be clear, unistalling the client does not "free up" a device slot. There is no mechanism in place to remove a registered client UNTIL you fill all 5 slots. Upon trying to register a 6th mobile device, you will prompted to select which of the existing clients you wish to remove.

It does indeed "free up a slot" if you want to transfer that license to another device after 30 days have passed since the uninstall. The net effect is to free up the license/slot after that time period.

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for that clarification about the 30 days and how a slot is "reserved" for that device until a sixth device is added. I don't recall seeing that when I read about Nomad the first time, but that's important to remember...

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Those of us actually using nomad for some time have found the client reservations to operate differently than portrayed in an earlier post.

If you haven't used all of the 5 client limit...transferring is obviously irrelevant.

Uninstall - wait 30 days - the reservation can be transferred to another device. It's that simple once 5 reservations are used.

#12 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Also, once a client is registered, it's license cannot be released to another for 30 days.
This happened to me with a new iPhone 4S. Added it to Nomad as a license, 3 days later it failed. The new phone could not replace the 4S for another 4 weeks.

People need to keep that scenario in mind too when adding devices as clients.

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

I had 5 clients registered and had no problem transferring a iPhone 3GS license to a new 4S, just selected which old license I wanted to transfer and done, no 30 day wait.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

Also, once a client is registered, it's license cannot be released to another for 30 days.
This happened to me with a new iPhone 4S. Added it to Nomad as a license, 3 days later it failed. The new phone could not replace the 4S for another 4 weeks.

Yes - exactly.

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

I had 5 clients registered and had no problem transferring a iPhone 3GS license to a new 4S, just selected which old license I wanted to transfer and done, no 30 day wait.

Was the difference here that your old phone was operational whereas NR4P's phone was not?

spam firewall