Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Artist

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Saw "The Artist" yesterday. It's now one of my favorite films of all time.

It's got a great story, great acting, and great cinematography. I absolutely loved it, and I think it's a shoo-in for the Best Picture Oscar!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

I still need to see this, but I will say that it took a lot of guts to make this film. Silent, B&W and in Academy Ratio?

Of course no movie "makes money", but so far The Artist has brought in $28 million which isn't bad. I know people that won't watch It's a Wonderful Life just because it's not (the good copy anyway) is in B&W. It's a shame because they miss out on some great films. Metropolis, The General, Nosferatu, and a whole plethora of B&W talkies.

#3 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I know people that won't watch It's a Wonderful Life just because it's not (the good copy anyway) is in B&W.

I know people who won't watch anything on television unless it's in high def. It does not surprise me that there are those who won't watch B&W programming. Manyt of my best loved movies are in B&W. The whole Thin Man series for one.

Do the people you are talkiing about only watch the part of The Wizard of Oz thats in color?:)
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

and god forbid - it's shot in 4:3 ratio too!

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Best Picture - honestly, you need to see this movie.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Agreed. I've heard multiple people (mostly men) say they were dragged to this movie, and came out enjoying it. It really is a great film.

It was kind of odd seeing John Goodman and James Cromwell, you almost forget that it is a modern film.

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Does the film use subtitles or do you have to read lips? ;)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...