Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone else having trouble recording the PBA on ESPN on Sunday Afternoons?

s229

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

It started happening right around xmas time. No matter what I do to record the PBA on ESPN it won't record. I just get a 1 second program in my list and it stops for no reason. I have tried multiple DVR's on the national release and still can't get the PBA to record.

Another thing is when I watch it live NONE of the dvr functions work. I am talking about basic's like pause/rewind. I can't even pause bowling to go get another beer, good thing they have long commercials.

Today was the tipping point of frustration for me, I wanted to watch bowling and the football game was on at the same time, so I recorded the football game and watched bowling live since i had no other choice. It was good until ESPN starting scrolling the score of the football game......... FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!

I have no problems with any other shows that I know of, but week after week I can't record PBA bowling.

I check the history / to do lists and can't find any reason why it would record for 1 second and then just stop leaving a blank playing in my list.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

No help to you here, but my dad records it every week with no issues on an HR20-700.

Perhaps you need to unplug the DVR for about 5 minutes, then start it back up.
It sounds like its crapping out when it loads ESPN's interactive content (the scoreguide).

Try switching to channel 206 for ESPN, and IMMEDIATELY hitting the EXIT button to prevent it from loading the interactive content, and see it that helps.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,711 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

That's one of the oddest problems I've ever heard of.

Only thing I can suggest is clearing nvram. Go to channel 1, wait for it to completely load then press red red blue blue green yellow.

Most likely someone will come up with a better solution.

#4 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

I have done the normal rebooting, unplugging and etc. I have tried to manually record it once the program starts but it still stops immediately. The little red recording circle appears and disappears right before my eyes.

I will try the exit thing next week just to see if I can get it to record.

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,711 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

Had you tried clearing nvram before? Unplugging and such would not clear it.

#6 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Had you tried clearing nvram before? Unplugging and such would not clear it.

Yes, I have. I usually do that when I notice my receiver acting slow.

#7 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

How about starting the recording before PBA starts? Set up a recording then go into options and tell it start 5 minutes early, just to see what happens.

There have been quite a few complaints about DVR functions not working on ESPN in the last two months but I haven't seen one where a recording wouldn't work.

#8 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

[quote name='"']

I am with DISH network and PBA records great every time. I have PBA recording on pause now while I type this reply.

#9 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

How about starting the recording before PBA starts? Set up a recording then go into options and tell it start 5 minutes early, just to see what happens.

There have been quite a few complaints about DVR functions not working on ESPN in the last two months but I haven't seen one where a recording wouldn't work.

Thanks! I have not tried starting the recording early. I'll give it a try next weekend.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'd clear the Guide. Two resets within 30 minutes.

Also, post time and channel, and I'll set a recording to parallel test (which DVR?).
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Are you SURE you're on a national release? I had a bunch of problems on ESPN only when running the CE GUI.

#12 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

i am 99% sure I am on the NR. That is why I waited so long to report this problem on this forum. I wanted to wait till my box got the NR so I didn't lose my HDgui by downgrading.

The next scheduled showing is this Sunday 1/29/2011 at 12:30pm on ESPN.

PS -- receivers are HR 22-100 and 21-100

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Why not simply post the date and version number?

And: Time and Channel.

Flush Guide. Yay or nay?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall