Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad Questions

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'm considering Nomad, but I have a couple of questions.

First, does it connect to only one DVR? I have two HR DVRs, and I would consider nomad if I could offload programs from both easily.

Second, what are the approximate file sizes? As I understand Nomad, it offloads a show to your (in my case iPhone) and you watch it later. So, since I have a 32 GB iPhone 4s, I'm concerned that a hockey game of 2 1/2 hours would be 10 GB or so.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

First, does it connect to only one DVR?
Second, what are the approximate file sizes? As I understand Nomad, it offloads a show to your (in my case iPhone) and you watch it later. So, since I have a 32 GB iPhone 4s, I'm concerned that a hockey game of 2 1/2 hours would be 10 GB or so.

I have it connected to 7 DVRs and I think the Limit is 10 DVRs.

I believe it is 800 MB for a 1 Hour HD MPEG-4 Recording as I remember what Doug Brott told me so with 32 GB you could Offload at least 30 Hours of Programming and still have room for other stuff.

So 8 Gig would be approximately 10 Hours of HD Recording Capacity. 24 Gig would be 30 Hours with 8 Gig left over for other stuff.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Your DVRs need to be on your network. One nice feature the software has is you can select which DVRs to "see". In my case, I've deselected the kid's DVR so I don't see their playlist when selecting shows to send to the nomad.

#4 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have it connected to 7 DVRs and I think the Limit is 10 DVRs.

I believe it is 800 MB for a 1 Hour HD MPEG-4 Recording as I remember what Doug Brott told me so with 32 GB you could Offload at least 30 Hours of Programming and still have room for other stuff.

So 8 Gig would be approximately 10 Hours of HD Recording Capacity. 24 Gig would be 30 Hours with 8 Gig left over for other stuff.

Thanks! That sounds really good! Looks like that would be a good solution for me!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I'm concerned that a hockey game of 2 1/2 hours would be 10 GB or so.

I'm using an iPad(1) 16GB. I have the following on my iPad: four 1-hour TV shows all in HD plus the Detroit/St Louis game from last night in HD (3 hours because of the extra 30 minutes I added for Live Event). So 7 hours total. Right now under Usage the iPad shows Nomad as using 3.8GB (and some of that has to be the client software?).

#6 OFFLINE   bennasar

bennasar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

I dont think that the resolution affects the size of the recording on the nomad, it encodes at a fixed resolution.

Miguel

#7 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Has anyone else wondered why the shipping packaging is practically amazon-level overkill?

Posted Image
Packaging overkill? by dirtyblueshirt, on Flickr

Also mine seemed to be resealed for some reason (are they selling us refurbs?)

Posted Image
Double sealed? by dirtyblueshirt, on Flickr
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#8 OFFLINE   LimeyFK

LimeyFK

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

I'm using an iPad(1) 16GB. I have the following on my iPad: four 1-hour TV shows all in HD plus the Detroit/St Louis game from last night in HD (3 hours because of the extra 30 minutes I added for Live Event). So 7 hours total. Right now under Usage the iPad shows Nomad as using 3.8GB (and some of that has to be the client software?).

trh, it looks like you were able to fix the issue you were having downloading NHL games that you mentioned in the other thread. How did you resolve it? I'm having the same problem. I'd PM you but my post count is <5.

#9 OFFLINE   LimeyFK

LimeyFK

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hate to do this, but need 2 more posts so I can send a PM and find out if/how he fixed it. It's a strange rule..

#10 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have another Nomad question (2 actually). I'm considering getting one, but the main reason would be so I could watch shows on my iPad...without being tethered to a TV. Is there any chance DirecTV will allow streaming of recorded content directly to an iPad sometime down the road?

Also, does the content produced by the Nomad device ever expire? It would be nice to create a library of shows and have my kids pick which shows they wanted on their iPods before traveling.

HR23, HR24, HR34

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I have another Nomad question (2 actually). I'm considering getting one, but the main reason would be so I could watch shows on my iPad...without being tethered to a TV. Is there any chance DirecTV will allow streaming of recorded content directly to an iPad sometime down the road?

Also, does the content produced by the Nomad device ever expire? It would be nice to create a library of shows and have my kids pick which shows they wanted on their iPods before traveling.

I believe that there is hope that recorded content will be able to be streamed to a the iPad in the same sense that it does for DirecTV2PC.

As for expiration of content, after 30 days the content needs to be re-downloaded to your device from the Nomad.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'll wait to see if DirecTV soon gives us the ability to stream recorded content. Until then, I'll continue to lug around my laptop and use DirecTV2PC.

Edited by Sully, 20 February 2012 - 06:39 PM.

HR23, HR24, HR34

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

You can do some limited streaming right now with an iPad -- as long as you are on your home network. Free DirecTV app on iTunes.

#14 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

I seriously doubt there will be any streaming from a DVR recording to nomad when you're off your home network.

Would love it, but just don't think it's gonna happen.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

I seriously doubt there will be any streaming from a DVR recording to nomad when you're off your home network.

Would love it, but just don't think it's gonna happen.

Have you read this thread? It won't be to a nomad device -- it will be to 'any' mobile device.

#16 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Have you read this thread? It won't be to a nomad device -- it will be to 'any' mobile device.

Yes...I have read that thread. If I understand it correctly, we'll be able to watch DirecTV programming while outside of our home network. However, this does not mean we'll be able to watch recorded content from our own DVR(s) on our mobile devices. For that, transferring shows to our devices via Nomad will be our only option (at least for now). I'm waiting for the day we can stream recorded content from our own DVR(s) directly to our mobile devices (just like we can stream to our PCs on our own network via DirecTV2PC).

HR23, HR24, HR34

#17 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

TVEverywhere should allow for steaming, however I then the response was regarding streaming of DVR content (like a sling box) not sure if nomad will ever be allowed to do that out of the home, or what streaming nomad will do.
I WANT MY PAC-12 Network & PAC-12 Mountain Network!!

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm waiting for the day we can stream recorded content from our own DVR(s) directly to our mobile devices.

Slingbox is probably the best we're going to get.

#19 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Maybe I should have said 'via' nomad and YES I read the thread.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#20 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

Ok, I have a question about this nomad. I thought at first it was something that would allow me to transfer DVR recordings to a mobile device while at home and then I could watch them somewhere else, like a mall or in a hotel room. Now looking at it it appears to only work within the home network so if I left home I couldn't watch anything. Which way is right?

spam firewall