Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad Questions

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

Ok, I have a question about this nomad. I thought at first it was something that would allow me to transfer DVR recordings to a mobile device while at home and then I could watch them somewhere else, like a mall or in a hotel room. Now looking at it it appears to only work within the home network so if I left home I couldn't watch anything. Which way is right?

Your first assessment is mostly correct. You need to be on your home network to download from the DVR to Nomad and from Nomad to your mobile device but then you can watch the shows anywhere after download.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mchero

mchero

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Don't forget that if your going to start streaming content to your mobile device you better have the proper data plan. I'd much rather go the Nomad route. The frekin data plans are a cash cow for the wireless providers!

#23 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'll wait to see if DirecTV soon gives us the ability to stream recorded content. Until then, I'll continue to lug around my laptop and use DirecTV2PC.

Just remember with the Data Plans for Verizon, AT&T and others that are no longer Unlimited you can use up 5 Gig in a Heartbeat when Streaming HD.

That is why I Love Nomad. I Download what I want to watch and watch it when I have the time such as being 36,000 feet in the air on a Jet to Hawaii for 10 hours. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

I've heard there are limits on what can be processed through the Nomad. Where do I find this list?

#25 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Just remember with the Data Plans for Verizon, AT&T and others that are no longer Unlimited you can use up 5 Gig in a Heartbeat when Streaming HD.

That is why I Love Nomad. I Download what I want to watch and watch it when I have the time such as being 36,000 feet in the air on a Jet to Hawaii for 10 hours. :)

This is a very good point!

HR23, HR24, HR34

#26 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

I've heard there are limits on what can be processed through the Nomad. Where do I find this list?

Limits? I'd like to learn about these limits too...

HR23, HR24, HR34

#27 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Nomad User's Manual or DBSTalk First Look at Nomad both contain a lot of information.

#28 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

On Demand and Over the Air can not be downloaded. I think folks have trouble with shows of 3 hours and more, but I've never tried.

I've watched all of Downton Abby this week from my hotel.

Setup

Ken

#29 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Limits? I'd like to learn about these limits too...

Also the DirecTV forum:
http://forums.direct...postID=10951087

Setup

Ken

#30 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

On Demand and Over the Air can not be downloaded. I think folks have trouble with shows of 3 hours and more, but I've never tried.

I've watched all of Downton Abby this week from my hotel.

I believe the Limit is at least 5 Hours and 30 Minutes as I have Downloaded the Super Bowl that is 5 1/2 Hours long.

Edited by Richierich, 23 February 2012 - 08:46 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hate to do this, but need 2 more posts so I can send a PM and find out if/how he fixed it. It's a strange rule..

Unless a poster has expressed a desire for PMs it's customary to post in the thread where he—and many others— will see it and respond.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

I seriously doubt there will be any streaming from a DVR recording to nomad when you're off your home network.

Would love it, but just don't think it's gonna happen.

+1

And for many of us, streaming to the iPad while on the home network has very limited appeal. (one reason I have multiple TVs).
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Wonder why they prevent "adult" content?

#34 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

And for many of us, streaming to the iPad while on the home network has very limited appeal. (one reason I have multiple TVs).

OTOH, I'd love to be able stream to full HD with trickplay to my iPad while at home, a la DirecTV2PC. Here in NY, both Cablevision and TWC offer this capability, AFAIK.
/steve

#35 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Wonder why they prevent "adult" content?

Must be PPV. Cinemax shows marked as Adult are fine.

Setup

Ken

#36 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,619 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

+1

I'd have to agree with Steve that streaming from the DVR recordings would be EXTREMELY useful here. Whereever I can carry the iPad and have wifi (almost anywhere on my property), deck, garage, boathouse, and be able to watch a program - or like Directv2PC, start a recording and watch near live!

But it's GOT to have trickplay and the ability to start / restart anywhere in the program.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#37 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,619 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

OTOH, I'd love to be able stream to full HD with trickplay to my iPad while at home, a la DirecTV2PC. Here in NY, both Cablevision and TWC offer this capability, AFAIK.

Does TWC offer streaming from the DVR or just Live with no trickplay - of selected channels? As far as I know, here it's just live channels - what you see is what you get. And you have to be on a TWC internet connection.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Does TWC offer streaming from the DVR or just Live with no trickplay - of selected channels? As far as I know, here it's just live channels - what you see is what you get.

If so, you're right. All that glitters...

I'm looking for DirecTV2PC-like ability to play back recordings on the iPad. I thought that's what they were offering.

And you have to be on a TWC internet connection.

Not surprising they may require a bundle. Same with Cablevision, I'll bet.
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

Don't forget that if your going to start streaming content to your mobile device you better have the proper data plan. I'd much rather go the Nomad route. The frekin data plans are a cash cow for the wireless providers!

Not a problem for me with Sprint, but even still, you could stream via WiFi from elsewhere.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#40 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Got the NOMAD and had it for a week. I just wasn't prepared for the wait required to put shows on my devices. It was easy to setup and access but the speed was (in my opinion) quite slow.

I instead got a Slingbox and am happy so far.

It was my fault really as I am someone that needed a on-the-go device because of my crazy work hours and the Slingnbox better suits me.

The Nomad is for one set of people
Slingbox is for another

Not a knock really on the Nomad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...