Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sonic Tap : Where's the Jazz?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Also I have noticed that the Jewish TV channel is availble on 119. I think D* channel guide ,which has JTV would, make the default of installing a 5LNB dish.

The 5 LNB is fine if you are west of the Mississippi, but many of us on the east coast cannot get LOS to 119. If the 3LNB was not an option, then our only option would be SD. Before the 3LNB was available, DirecTV would not install HD for me, because there was no LOS to 119, and the signal from 110 was less than accetable. At that time, the only thing I wanted from either of those satellites was ESPNU HD. I convinced an independant contractor to install the 5LNB and "fake" the system to say that it passed. ESPNU was moved to the 103 shortly after that, and I lived with the guide errors for years until I was able to replace the 5LNB with a 3LNB.

The only locals that are on the 119 are in the west, so having the 3LNB as the standard for everyone else makes sense to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,995 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

The only locals that are on the 119 are in the west, so having the 3LNB as the standard for everyone else makes sense to me.

There are a lot of eastern markets with SD locals on 119:
Albany, NY
Buffalo, NY
Charleston, WV
Hartford, CT
Norfolk, VA
Portland, ME
Providence, RI
Richmond, VA
Roanoke, VA
Rochester, NY
Savannah, GA
Scranton, PA
Springfield, MA
Tallahassee, FL
Wilmington, NC

Unfortunately many of them in the northeast have problems getting locals unless there are no trees on the southwest horizon.

#23 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Here are the music channels at 119

807 SonicTap: Rat Pack
815 SonicTap: Holidays & Happenings
824 SonicTap: Groove Lounge
852 SonicTap: Jazz
853 SonicTap: Metro Blend
855 SonicTap: Great Standards
861 SonicTap: PUMP!
865 SonicTap: Piano
870 SonicTap: Fiesta Tropical
873 SonicTap: Regional Mexican
876 SonicTap: Mariachi
877 SonicTap: Carnaval Brasileiro
880 SonicTap: Familiar Favorites
881 SonicTap: Italian Bistro Blend
882 SonicTap: Italian Contemporary
883 SonicTap: Irish
884 SonicTap: Tranquility

When I signed up for DirecTV, I chose the Choice Ultimate package.... along with several TV channels of course, one of the reasons was the Irish Music channel, which wasn't available in other packages.

When the setup was done, I found out I could not receive any of the channels mentioned above - although I contacted DirecTV specifically for the Irish and Tranquility channels.

Since i paid for these channels but could not receive them, DirecTV offered to fix it for me by upgrading my dish. The way they did it is charging me $50 for the installer to come out, but immediately applying a $50 credit to my next bill - essentially having it fixed for free.

I know that these channels haven't been moved and have been on this 119 bird since at least Nov. 2010 when i first signed up. That said, I do not know whether this is the case with the Jazz channel, maybe it DID move to 119 from a different satellite.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#24 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Also I have noticed that the Jewish TV channel is availble on 119. I think D* channel guide ,which has JTV would, make the default of installing a 5LNB dish.

Several religious channels are in the 119 bird besides Jewish TV. Now, these are "free" channels (they pay DirecTV for coverage) so they may be on a less-accessible satellite because the price is cheaper, forcing people that want the channel to invest in the proper satellite setup to to receive them.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#25 OFFLINE   Bstacey

Bstacey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Anyone try a diy swap of a 3 lnb with a 5 lnb? I'm debating paying $50 for a service call or buying one on eBay for a little bit less. If no re-aligning is required, I would consider this.

#26 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

Anyone try a diy swap of a 3 lnb with a 5 lnb? I'm debating paying $50 for a service call or buying one on eBay for a little bit less. If no re-aligning is required, I would consider this.

Awhile ago I had my dish relocated. The tech did a fine job but for some reason he changed the 5 lnb on my dish to a 3 lnb. I told him I needed the 5 lnb in order to get all of the Sonic Tap channels. He disagreed. Before I let him go I made him see the difference with what the two lnb's provide. He put back the 5 lnb.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...