Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD PQ Softer recently?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

I also am getting a weird artifact on ABC. Whenever I watch or record something from ABC every now and then I will get this horizontal line artifact in the upper 1/3 of the screen. It lasts for about a little less than a second, but this just recently started happening in November and is a minor annoyance.

Funny you should mention that. I too have seen a yellow line appear at the top edge of my ABC local. Unlike your case, I have to change channels to get it to go away.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

interesting that i noticed this thread.... i was telling my wife this morning that the HD looks a little different. i was thinking a tad "blurry" or a better term would be "softer" than it used to be. but yeah, i noticed it right away on TBS and CNN today. just so happen i got the new hd gui software last night. wonder if any of this is related.....:confused:

something seems off...

#23 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

I'm guessing they're planning on shoehorning some stuff into those transponders with lower bitrates, or reducing the overall bitrate to make reception a bit better since its easier to pick up something with a lower bitrate.

#24 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

interesting that i noticed this thread.... i was telling my wife this morning that the HD looks a little different. i was thinking a tad "blurry" or a better term would be "softer" than it used to be. but yeah, i noticed it right away on TBS and CNN today. just so happen i got the new hd gui software last night. wonder if any of this is related.....:confused:

I caught a little bit of Wolfe Blitzer on CNN yesterday pm. He was live on location somewhere in Florida.
I commented to myself (I do that quite often) that I thought the pq was nothing short of stunning.
No soft pq issues here.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#25 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

I'm guessing they're planning on shoehorning some stuff into those transponders with lower bitrates, or reducing the overall bitrate to make reception a bit better since its easier to pick up something with a lower bitrate.

I don't think that's true at all.

#26 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Yes Ch 2 NY & CH 390 both looked softer on CSI then they did in the past , but 390 looked a bit better , wonder if the bit rate is the same for both chs ?

#27 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Pretty sure those are the same exact feeds mapped to two different channel numbers.

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Pretty sure those are the same exact feeds mapped to two different channel numbers.

They are;

Its a national or "CONUS" beam feed from DIRECTV 11 at present, on channel 390 (WCBS 2-DT N.Y.) which is then mapped to local channel 2 in the program guide at the receivers for N.Y. subs.

This mapping over of CONUS feeds to the local channel range is actually done to all of the "big four" networks for subs. in both the N.Y. and L.A. markets

Its done this way so these local feeds may simultaneously perform DNS service.

#29 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

NGC HD looking really bad to me right now. Overall overcompressed look

#30 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,016 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

NGC HD looking really bad to me right now. Overall overcompressed look

Nighttime shots on Alaska State Troopers usually looks bad. The well lit day scenes were fine.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...