Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS in HD?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

Is D* done with turning on local PBS channels in HD? It has been quite some time and I"m still waiting for PBS-HD in Boston?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

No PBS in HD? I tho't Bahston was the high-tech Nirvana of the east coast. :rolleyes:

I've had local and national PBS in HD for several years.

But then, I only have Comcast cable. :shrug:

(Sorry)

Edited by Nick, 24 January 2012 - 12:18 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

I've been waiting also. So many shows I'd love to watch in HD. Boston-Manchester is the #6 DMA. How about a little respect here D*!
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#4 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Surprised WGBH/WGBX in Boston isn't HD on the bird like it is OTA and on comcast and cox. Down here in RI we get both RI PBS (WSBE) ch 36 and CPTV (WEDN) ch 53 in HD on D*. For awhile ch 36 was having trouble with the HD feed and I'd have to unhide SD locals to watch the SD feed. I actually watch CPTV ch 53 more so I don't even really know how much of RI PBS's programming is actually in HD considering most of their library was transferred off 3/4" Umatic tape to digital years ago.

Edited by NewForceFiveFan, 24 January 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

i have PBS in HD in Erie, Pa we need the CW in HD!

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

WUNC (Chapel Hill - #25 DMA) has been HD for as long as we have had any locals in HD.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Interestingly enough, even here in the big L.A. market we could have easily lost PBS in HD had DIRECTV not by chance added PBS station KOCE-DT 50 several years back, since the former PBS flagship station here, KCET-DT 28, left the PBS fold and went independent over a year or so ago.

The other two PBS stations in this market carried by DIRECTV, KVCR-DT 24 and KLCS-DT 58 (owned by LAUSD), are only in SD.

#8 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Sounds like nobody can explain this glaring omission! I may have to contact DirecTV directly!

#9 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

In the Phila. market we have had ch12 WHYY in HD for better then 2 yrs and recently noticed ch39 from Lehigh Valley area in HD too.

#10 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like nobody can explain this glaring omission! I may have to contact DirecTV directly!

who provided PBS in your area? maybe its a money thing

#11 OFFLINE   kenmoo

kenmoo

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

It is pretty strange. You would think PBS would want the largest local audience for their wonderful programing and would almost give away the HD signal anywhere they could to solicit pledges. The Sacramento DMA HD signal was turned on a few years back and not only do we watch a lot of the excellent HD programing but we even started sending them money based on a pledge drive we saw in HD on DirecTV. I called the PBS station and DirecTV many times to try and push the process. Even wrote the National PBS Office.

I have a good friend that is in the Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/San Luis Obispo DMA. Some pretty wealthy sattelite subs and PBS donaters in that area. I think his PBS feed is in SD from Bakersfield because that PBS station is too small to broadcast in HD. No one at DirecTV will listen to him.

#12 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Interestingly enough, even here in the big L.A. market we could have easily lost PBS in HD had DIRECTV not by chance added PBS station KOCE-DT 50 several years back...

You think they spun a roulette wheel that came up "50," or was it more along the lines of a dice game?

The other two PBS stations in this market carried by DIRECTV, KVCR-DT 24 and KLCS-DT 58 (owned by LAUSD), are only in SD.

KLCS opted to have one of their subchannels carried, rather than appearing in HD -- as I understand it, as a result of DirecTV's agreement with national PBS, local PBS stations have that as an either/or choice when they negotiate with DirecTV.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#13 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

KLCS opted to have one of their subchannels carried, rather than appearing in HD -- as I understand it, as a result of DirecTV's agreement with national PBS, local PBS stations have that as an either/or choice when they negotiate with DirecTV.

In the Raleigh-Durham market, DirecTV has WUNC (4.1) in HD and UNC Explorer (4.3 - although DirecTV callis it 4.2) in SD. Unfortunately for us, my grandkids prefer the OTA 4.2 (UNC Kids), which is not on DirecTV.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

... KLCS opted to have one of their subchannels carried, rather than appearing in HD -- as I understand it, as a result of DirecTV's agreement with national PBS, local PBS stations have that as an either/or choice when they negotiate with DirecTV.

Yeah ...

KLCS is an SD only station with four OTA sub-channels. The main sub-channel 58-1 is carried by DIRECTV as an SD local on 101W. And one of their secondary sub-channels, 58-2, is carried as an MPEG-4 SD local on 103W.

#15 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yeah ...

KLCS is an SD only station with four OTA sub-channels. The main sub-channel 58-1 is carried by DIRECTV as an SD local on 101W. And one of their secondary sub-channels, 58-2, is carried as an MPEG-4 SD local on 103W.

Why does 58-1 OT in the directv guide get listed as HD for many of their programs? They are not in HD because I have recorded them and they are SD.
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

Why does 58-1 OT in the directv guide get listed as HD for many of their programs? They are not in HD because I have recorded them and they are SD. ...

The "HD" program labeling used by DIRECTV in their guide is not always accurate.

... On regular antenna they are in HD though.

Huh ... :confused: OTA 58-1 is showing as SD here as well.

AM21 connected to a HR22-100, and Hi-gain directional antenna aimed squarely at Mt. Wilson.

#17 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

When looking at a list of the 40 biggest local markets in the country, DTV has HD feeds of all 4 networks and PBS in all of them with the exception of one single holdout - PBS in the Boston market. There's definitely something uniquely weird going on with that station.

#18 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

The SD versions of PBS are a waste of time, on Directv. Our small market PBS station, in Watertown, NY, has a great HD signal, over the air and two subchannels. So what do we get on Directv? The two subchannels. Sure, probably conserving bandwidth, but being on Spotbeams, that shouldn't be an issue. Our locals only have a few channels, unlike the larger markets, so they could at least give us a PBS HD channel.

#19 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

Tell me about it. No HD LILs at all here in the Monterey-Salinas market so why doesn't PBS just provide a national HD DNS feed and be done with it? I've heard answers to that over the years and they just sound crazier and crazier as time goes on.

#20 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

What ever happened to PBS HD VOD?
Waiting for
BBCA HD

spam firewall