Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS in HD?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

We get PBS here in Boise on LiL, but I wish they would not be so cheap. They downgrade PBS HD to 720p so they can also run 4 subchannels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

We get PBS here in Boise on LiL, but I wish they would not be so cheap. They downgrade PBS HD to 720p so they can also run 4 subchannels.

They do that in Arkansas also. Its the reason I canceled my donations. I used the donation .money to buy an HD fta dish to watch it in 1080i.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#23 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

How can PBS allow a national HD feed on Comcast but not D*?? Or how can D* not close that deal? As long as there are lots of non-HD LIL DMAs, there are still lots of non-PBS HD homes.

#24 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

They must still be doing it. I get two different PBS channels. One from Indianapolis has been HD for quite a while. The other is from Bloomington and it was in SD but I was in the guide set up the other day and noticed it had an HD channel too. Not sure when it was added but it couldn't have been too long ago.

#25 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

How can PBS allow a national HD feed on Comcast but not D*?? Or how can D* not close that deal? As long as there are lots of non-HD LIL DMAs, there are still lots of non-PBS HD homes.

IMHO Comcast has gotten so big and powerful that the pols will not do anything to upset them. They got the NBCU purchase pushed through even with the opposition against the purchase as anti competitive. And with GE in the picture, it was a slam dunk.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#26 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

We have had PBS in HD and one of its sub channels here in the Greenville NC market since 2009.
UNCHD and UNCEX (sd)

At our families vacation home in the NC mountains, the Charlotte NC market,
there are the following PBS stations,
UNC HD (NC pbs)
ETV HD (south carolina pbs)
WTVI HD (charlotte nc pbs)
UNC EX explorer channel (sd)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...