Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EHD not functioning with 211

hr20 drive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   servus56

servus56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have used an EHD on my 211 for more than a year. This morning I was not able to access it via the remote control. There was no whirring sound, but rather a clicking sound in EHD. Did the EHD die because it was constantly spinning? Is this normal? I would appreciate your thoughts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

A clicking sound from the HD is almost always the kiss of death! :(

As to why it died, well that could be as you suggest or it just could be the luck of the draw.

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have my EHD connected all the time. Have you tried unplugging the EHD from the receiver and plugging it back in? Hopefully your receiver will recognize the drive. Thanks.

I have used an EHD on my 211 for more than a year. This morning I was not able to access it via the remote control. There was no whirring sound, but rather a clicking sound in EHD. Did the EHD die because it was constantly spinning? Is this normal? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 09 February 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

As Ray mentioned, the EHD is connected all the time, so spins all the time. Unfortunately, many of the disk drives on the market now don't have the best life, because the manufacturers know people are price sensitive. I used a Seagate Constellation for my EHD, which is a SATA server drive rated to run 24/7 for years. It cost twice as much as the cheapies, but I hate things breaking, and hate losing my recordings.

Clicking is a typically sign the drive died.

Michael

spam firewall