Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What other channels are moving?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Just got the email that they are moving Sprout from Xtra (or Xtra classic as it will be called, right?) to Ultimate. This doesn't really bother me (neither of my children watch Sprout often, if at all).

What does bother me is their wording in the email:

This channel move is part of an effort to control rising programming costs while still offering you the most popular channels at a reasonable price across all our packages.

Umm, but you just raised by bill AND you're removing a channel from my package. That's a double-whammy and a bad PR move in my book. When you say reasonable prices are you talking about the lower price I pay now that includes this channel or the higher price I'll pay next month for fewer channels?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   strangely

strangely

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Ironically this was pretty much the only channel we had on our package that was stopping me from reducing my bill to a lower package; since it'll be going, there's nothing stopping me moving now, and they'll be getting less of my money!

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

Cloo is the other one I know about.

#4 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Sprout is one of the reasons we are on Choice Extra too. Looks like a downgrade to Family will get it back and save me a bunch of money too.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Just got the email that they are moving Sprout from Xtra (or Xtra classic as it will be called, right?) to Ultimate. This doesn't really bother me (neither of my children watch Sprout often, if at all).

What does bother me is their wording in the email:

Umm, but you just raised by bill AND you're removing a channel from my package. That's a double-whammy and a bad PR move in my book. When you say reasonable prices are you talking about the lower price I pay now that includes this channel or the higher price I'll pay next month for fewer channels?

Cloo will be moving to Ultimate as well.

DirecTV has stated that their programming costs are increasing by 10%, but they are only raising rates by 4%. Apparently, this is part of their effort to control part of the other 6%...

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

From D*s point of view, one way to attempt to keep costs to at least a reasonable level, is to remove channels that attract very little traffic. They have stated publicly that they intend to do this going forward.

It's amusing to me that when there was a real risk of the FOX channels going dark for a few weeks a while back, many posters were shouting for D* to just pay up and do the deal.

There's a price for doing the deal...and we pay it. :)

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

DirecTV has stated that their programming costs are increasing by 10%, but they are only raising rates by 4%. Apparently, this is part of their effort to control part of the other 6%...
~Alan

How do you come up with 6%? That only works if programming is 100% of their costs.

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

How do you come up with 6%? That only works if programming is 100% of their costs.

I said their programming costs... not all of their costs.

I'm not trying to imply that they would make up all of it by moving some channels, but rather to imply that it could make a dent in it.

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Fortunately for me, both of the channels they've indicated are moving to Ultimate are of exactly zero interest to me.

But this is just the new economy we've already seen at the grocery store. Pay more, get less! :(

I'm under contract, so I won't be going anywhere for awhile, but I do feel free to grumble a bit! :) I wonder what the lowest package I can get and still fulfill the contract requirements and not lose HD for Life. Anyone know?

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm also under contract and won't be going anywhere (or changing my package), was just making the observation. Only 7 more months left in my contract, though, so we'll see what happens then. ;-)

#11 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

We are what? 2 1/2 weeks away from these changes? When are we going to see a channel listing of the new packages?

#12 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Cloo and Sprout are moving up from XTRA, soon to be XTRA Classic. Those are the only two channel changes other than Fox Deportes coming out of Sports Pack which was announced earlier.

Conversely, some channels are moving "down", too, like National Geographic Channel which was in XTRA and will be available in CHOICE starting in February. Channels move up and down in base packages often as a result of new contractual agreements (National Geographic is owned by FOX), or based on viewership, cost containment (which translates into trying to hold the line on rate increases), etc.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

We are what? 2 1/2 weeks away from these changes? When are we going to see a channel listing of the new packages?

They will be announced very soon. As with any introduction of new packages, sometimes the last channel(s) have to be finalized and that sometimes occurs at the 11th hour for a number of reasons.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Any new HD coming with these changes?

#15 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Talking to Directv said the entertainment pack will not have any sports.
Similar to cox who has announced a package without ESPN channels to lower cost.

#16 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Talking to Directv said the entertainment pack will not have any sports.
Similar to cox who has announced a package without ESPN channels to lower cost.

This will have ESPN & ESPN2.

Didn't see another thread on this, apologize if there is one but, has anyone else heard of this potential new package supposedly available next month? Found this on the other forum...I would be potentially interested in this if it happens.

Meet the value-packed ENTERTAINMENT Package.

ENTERTAINMENT is a winning combination for customers seeking value with the best in comedy, drama, information, news and sports, and it comes with 4 FREE Advanced Product Upgrades!

ENTERTAINMENT is filled with 140 channels customers want:

•All the top entertainment channels: Disney, USA Network, AMC, FX, TBS, A&E, SyFy & more
•The most popular lifestyle channels: E, Food Network, HGTV, RFD, Discovery & more

•All of the major news: Fox News, CNN, CNBC, HLN, MSNBC, The Weather Channel & more

•The sports they really want: All the major sports broadcast on network plus , ESPN, ESPN2
ENTERTAINMENT is perfect for good-quality customers looking to get all the great features of DIRECTV at an affordable price. For customers who are comparison/price shopping:

•ENTERTAINMENT is comparable to Dish AT200, but for $10 less (after rebate)
•It’s the same price as Dish’s AT120 (for the first 12 months, after rebate)
•It has all the major sports coverage you want – it does not include specialty sports (Local RSNs) that are limited to coverage of specific teams

There has to more differences than just the omission of RSNs...

~Alan

#17 OFFLINE   JimV

JimV

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

well, I immediately sent them a note voicing my disdain for this change. Anyone with a 2-4 year old relies on Sprout since it has good shorts and a lot of variety which kids need at this age.

Very disappointing given how many other channels I'd love to see leave my programming package instead.

Oddly they added BabyFirstTV which typically has much much lower quality programming from Sprout. So if they are looking to save money, this was an odd reason to add a channel.

Dump OWN if you want to save money.

Hopefully enough people will voice their unhappiness and maybe they'll change their tune.

Normally I am happy with D* but this was one thing that is a reversal.

Im on total choice plus anyway.
Samsung 46" LCDTV - LN46A550 - HR23-100 / DECA2 / CCK
Onkyo Receiver TX-SR608
Polk Audio 5.1 Speakers
- - - - - -
Olevia 323v and HR21-
- - - -
Old Receivers: R15-100, R15-500, HR21-0700, H20
Customer since 2001

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

I said their programming costs... not all of their costs.

I'm not trying to imply that they would make up all of it by moving some channels, but rather to imply that it could make a dent in it.

~Alan

I'm still not following where you got your 6% from?

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm still not following where you got your 6% from?

10 - 4 = 6

Admittedly, I'm horrible at math, and today's been a hectic day, but I still believe that to be correct. :confused:

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Any new HD coming with these changes?

More HD is coming
DIRECTV employee

spam firewall