Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS Sprout Channel 295

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djbarker27

djbarker27

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

My friend received this email today form Directv:

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. We appreciate your business and would like to provide an important update regarding your DIRECTV® programming.

Effective February 9, 2012, Sprout on Channel 295 will move to the CHOICE ULTIMATE™ package. This channel move is part of an effort to control rising programming costs while still offering you the most popular channels at a reasonable price across all our packages. We apologize for any inconvenience this programming change may cause.

Many of the shows broadcast on Sprout are also available on your local PBS station(s). To find your local PBS stations, go to the Search & Browse section of your Menu screen and type "PBS" in the Smart Search bar. You can also visit DIRECTV.com for the most up to date PBS channel listings in your area.

DIRECTV also offers a broad selection of additional children's programming in our kids channel neighborhood of 290 through 302, including several Disney and Nickelodeon channels, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, the Hub and BabyFirstTV.

Does this only effect the Choice Extra plan or the old Total Choice Plus plans as well?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I got the email, too. I'm not concerned. I've never watched it.

#3 OFFLINE   hawksfan01

hawksfan01

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

My daughter loves that channel. Had to make the upgrade, and spend even more money for one channel. I don't need or want the couple extra channels.

#4 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

There is another thread about the topic. Cloo is also moving to Ultimate. I will have to wait to see what the final line ups will be before I decide whether to switch, but the grandkids like Sprout, and my wife likes Cloo, so I see another $5.00 per month to DirecTV in my future.

#5 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

My daughter loves that channel. Had to make the upgrade, and spend even more money for one channel. I don't need or want the couple extra channels.

I remember years ago when I upgraded to Dish's AT250 just to get Boomerang! and a couple other niche channels. If your daughter wants it that much then just tell her it's part of her allowance.

Edited by NewForceFiveFan, 24 January 2012 - 01:44 PM.
Wrote at120 by mistake.

#6 OFFLINE   mavs-fan

mavs-fan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Does this only effect the Choice Extra plan or the old Total Choice Plus plans as well?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you currently have Sprout on the Choice Xtra package that your package will be renamed to Choice Xtra Classic after Feb. 9 and you will continue to have Sprout, Cloo and any other channels that may be moving to Ultimate after Feb. 9.

#7 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

My friend received this email today form Directv:

Many of the shows broadcast on Sprout are also available on your local PBS station(s). To find your local PBS stations, go to the Search & Browse section of your Menu screen and type "PBS" in the Smart Search bar. You can also visit DIRECTV.com for the most up to date PBS channel listings in your area.

DIRECTV also offers a broad selection of additional children's programming in our kids channel neighborhood of 290 through 302, including several Disney and Nickelodeon channels, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, the Hub and BabyFirstTV.

A good deal of the programming on Sprout is exclusive. As for the stuff on PBS, I can get that for free OTA.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#8 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have an old package that appears as "Plus HD DVR" on my bill. I currently get sprout, does anyone know if it will stay in my current plan or will i have to get the ultimate?

#9 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you currently have Sprout on the Choice Xtra package that your package will be renamed to Choice Xtra Classic after Feb. 9 and you will continue to have Sprout, Cloo and any other channels that may be moving to Ultimate after Feb. 9.

It's coming out of all forms of CHOICE XTRA, including the soon to be re-named XTRA Classic.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I have an old package that appears as "Plus HD DVR" on my bill. I currently get sprout, does anyone know if it will stay in my current plan or will i have to get the ultimate?

You would have to upgrade. Plus HD DVR is the same as CHOICE XTRA with HD Access and DVR service.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

You would have to upgrade. Plus HD DVR is the same as CHOICE XTRA with HD Access and DVR service.

thanks for teh reply. glad to know what current package my old one compares to.

so i would have to go to ultimate $71/month, then have to pay separate dvr($8) and hd($10) fees, so i'd be $89/month instead of my current $83/month for all. that sucks

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

It's coming out of all forms of CHOICE XTRA, including the soon to be re-named XTRA Classic.

Not very classic then... :lol:

~Alan

#13 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Any other channel changes we should know of possibly that are going to occur in two weeks?

#14 OFFLINE   Stryker412

Stryker412

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

I spoke today with someone in retentions. I was very nice with the CSR and explained that I watch that channel all the time with our son. It's one of the few channels that does not have any programming I need to be concerned about him watching. The guy was very nice and we chatted for a bit. He upgraded me to Choice Ultimate and gave me a $5/month credit for a year. So basically I got the upgrade for free. I don't care about any of the other channels I gained but I'm glad we're keeping Sprout. Now about getting it in HD...
www.osfhome.com
Community Multiplayer Gaming

#15 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

I am not too concerned with Sprout, but I do watch cloo. I did upgrade recently to Ultimate, so I guess it wont affect me much. I am curious to see the new package lineups tho.

#16 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

Now I have to wonder, are Sprout and Cloo those channels that are driving our bills up? I don't think so, but I get the point that Directv needs to get costs in check. But really, these channels? Seriously. How about pulling off Fox News? That channel drives costs up more significantly.....

#17 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

Now I have to wonder, are Sprout and Cloo those channels that are driving our bills up? I don't think so, but I get the point that Directv needs to get costs in check. But really, these channels? Seriously. How about pulling off Fox News? That channel drives costs up more significantly.....

You don't care about the cost of FNC. You just object because it is more conservative.

#18 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Why would they move the most popular news channel. Makes more sense to move the ones nobody watches, like msnbc and current tv ;)

#19 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

thanks for teh reply. glad to know what current package my old one compares to.

so i would have to go to ultimate $71/month, then have to pay separate dvr($8) and hd($10) fees, so i'd be $89/month instead of my current $83/month for all. that sucks

Slight correction

Choice Ultimate $74.99/month, Dvr($8) and HD($10)
Total = $92.99
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

I am just curious why they are raising the price of the package (Xtra Classic) if they are removing channels from it. Logically, the price should stay the same, and they should just remove channels every year to keep the price the same (for that package).

This move really makes no sense to me. Maybe they are just getting us used to losing channels from our packages to see if we will complain about losing them at the same time they hike the price.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...