Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS Sprout Channel 295

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Slight correction

Choice Ultimate $74.99/month, Dvr($8) and HD($10)
Total = $92.99

yep, even more than i figured lol. i'm just going to go to ultimate (my kids love sprout) and cancel my hd extra pack to help offset the difference. maybe i'll get lucky and can add it back for 3 months for free.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

I am just curious why they are raising the price of the package (Xtra Classic) if they are removing channels from it. Logically, the price should stay the same, and they should just remove channels every year to keep the price the same (for that package).

This move really makes no sense to me. Maybe they are just getting us used to losing channels from our packages to see if we will complain about losing them at the same time they hike the price.

Actually, no. The price of the content goes up every year so the price should not stay the same. The cost of ESPN in 2012 is more than the cost of ESPN in 2011 because of escalator raises built into the contracts...just one example but many of them have it. If the costs didn't go up, I would agree with you, but they go up every year for the same channel.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

What is kind of ridiculous is that the channels that are responsible for the large price increases stay put. Isn't Fox and it's Fox News Channel and other channels responsible for the primary rate increases this year? I am sure that Sprout is not very costly in the grand mix of things. I think it should be Fox channels that get pushed up. Screw fox and it's greed.

#24 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

95% of the programming on Sprout is also available on Netflix. Not saying to subscribe to Netflix just to see those same programs, but if you already subscribe to Netflix (like I do), no big loss. My son can watch the same programs on demand on Netflix.
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#25 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

What is kind of ridiculous is that the channels that are responsible for the large price increases stay put. Isn't Fox and it's Fox News Channel and other channels responsible for the primary rate increases this year? I am sure that Sprout is not very costly in the grand mix of things. I think it should be Fox channels that get pushed up. Screw fox and it's greed.

Simple and its not ridiculous at all if you understand how the television programming world works. A channel like Fox News (#1 channel in the US), USA, ESPN, etc can demand penetration in 90% or higher of a distributor's base. They have that leverage.

Well, if you're a distributor and you need to have that channel available to 90% of your customers, you can't very well take it out and move it to a higher tier where there are far fewer customers. You would be in breach of the contract.

Channels like Cloo, Sprout and dozens of others do not command that kind of leverage. If DTV (and all other distributors continue to suffer because of programming costs) then they have only a few choices at their disposal.

1) Move some channels to higher tiers to reduce overall programming costs because they only pay the provider based on the number of subs. That forces people who really want it to buy it.
2) Raise prices
3) Continue to hammer programmers with the threat of moving them to higher tiered packages unless they drop their rates
4) Take less profits (sounds great for a consumer, has dire consequences long term on innovation, sustainability, etc)

I guarantee you that there were far more channels that were going to be moved from some of these packages but the threat made some of these programmers come to the table and make a better deal. Guarantee it.

#26 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

yep, even more than i figured lol. i'm just going to go to ultimate (my kids love sprout) and cancel my hd extra pack to help offset the difference. maybe i'll get lucky and can add it back for 3 months for free.

I'd wait a week. What I'm hearing in the industry is that DTV's move the other day has forced Sprout to the table and things may work out. We'll see what happens.

#27 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'd wait a week. What I'm hearing in the industry is that DTV's move the other day has forced Sprout to the table and things may work out. We'll see what happens.

great! thank you very much for the update

#28 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

I don't disagree with what you say, but the freaking system sucks.

Simple and its not ridiculous at all if you understand how the television programming world works. A channel like Fox News (#1 channel in the US), USA, ESPN, etc can demand penetration in 90% or higher of a distributor's base. They have that leverage.

Well, if you're a distributor and you need to have that channel available to 90% of your customers, you can't very well take it out and move it to a higher tier where there are far fewer customers. You would be in breach of the contract.

Channels like Cloo, Sprout and dozens of others do not command that kind of leverage. If DTV (and all other distributors continue to suffer because of programming costs) then they have only a few choices at their disposal.

1) Move some channels to higher tiers to reduce overall programming costs because they only pay the provider based on the number of subs. That forces people who really want it to buy it.
2) Raise prices
3) Continue to hammer programmers with the threat of moving them to higher tiered packages unless they drop their rates
4) Take less profits (sounds great for a consumer, has dire consequences long term on innovation, sustainability, etc)

I guarantee you that there were far more channels that were going to be moved from some of these packages but the threat made some of these programmers come to the table and make a better deal. Guarantee it.

#29 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Resolved. Sprout will stay in the current Choice Xtra package
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

It's coming out of all forms of CHOICE XTRA, including the soon to be re-named XTRA Classic.

My problem with the Ultimate package is that I sub to Starz and Showtime. I do not think I should have to pay for some movie channels twice over. Its rediculous to move a couple of channels I do like to that package and then dont offer a discount for channels I already pay extra for that come in that package. Stupid!
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#31 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Resolved. Sprout will stay in the current Choice Xtra package

Very good then. The Choice Ultimate Package is still a ripoff for Starz and Showtime subs. There should be no channels we cant get in other packages without taking that one. No one wants to double pay for premiums. So why spilt a base package between to premium packages and then throw in other channels people will want? Makes no sense.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#32 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

My problem with the Ultimate package is that I sub to Starz and Showtime. I do not think I should have to pay for some movie channels twice over. Its rediculous to move a couple of channels I do like to that package and then dont offer a discount for channels I already pay extra for that come in that package. Stupid!

I don't understand that either.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...