Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone wish DirecTV would bring back Sirius XM?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Sirius XM back? (496 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want Sirius XM back?

1. Yes, bring back Sirius XM (402 votes [81.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.05%

2. No, keep Sonic Tap (94 votes [18.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

While overall I prefer DirecTV's channel lineup over Dish Network's, one thing Dish has going for them is Sirius XM.

I enjoy listening to smooth jazz, and the problem with Sonic Tap's Smooth Jazz channel is that they play too many unknown artists that I never heard of. I am subscribed to Sirius XM and I enjoy listening to Watercolors for some nice pink smooth jazz.

Another thing I don't like about Sonic Tap is that during the holiday season, holiday music can only be heard on dedicated holiday channels. Sirius XM's Watercolors, on the other hand, mixed in some holiday smooth jazz during the holiday season, and had the 24 Hours of Christmas on Christmas Day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

I like Sirius XM Underground Garage.
I pay no attention at all to Sonic Tap.

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,100 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

I said this on another thread, about the move of Jazz and some others to 119, but the addition of Pandora will likely negate some of this, if that is true. And since Satelliteracer is the one who mentioned it, and said it's coming "very soon", I'd imagine its no rumor.

Having said that, I'm fine with SonicTap.

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

You left out the option... no preference.

~Alan

#5 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

I don't hate Sonic Tap, nor do I miss the DJs from XM, but I liked the stations better. I really only listen to Coffeehouse on Sonic if I don't feel like going over Pandora.

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

You left out the option... no preference.

I take back what I said. Add an option for "Bring back MUSIC CHOICE!!" :D

~Alan<~~~~~~~~~Who misses his Music Choice VOD from his TiVo Series 3...

#7 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

+1 I had them though cable out east

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#8 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Honestly, when I listen to music w/o video I use this device called a radio or Slacker or an MP3 player. I had XM radio in my car, but the sound quality seemed inferior to the local stations. So I dropped it. And I never tune in the music stations on DIRECTV, so if they removed them, I wouldn't even notice.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

I prefer Sonic Tap to XM. I listen mainly to traditional Jazz and Standard Vocal's, 850, 851, 852, 855, and 865 . Fortunately, I had the SL5 installed back in '08 for the HD upgrade so I can receive all of the music channels, including the ones on the 119 satellite.

I did like the Holiday music on XM better, but overall, I like Sonic Tap better for most of the year.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#10 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

I liked having XM Radio and I would be listening to a Channel on XM Radio and I could leave the House and still be listening to it in my car.

However, since the Merger a lot of Channels have gone down hill.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

I liked having XM Radio and I would be listening to a Channel on XM Radio and I could leave the House and still be listening to it in my car.

However, since the Merger a lot of Channels have gone down hill.

At least they kept XM's Watercolors instead of Sirius' Jazz Café. Jazz Café was too much like today's terrestrial smooth jazz stations with an over-reliance on R&B vocals. It was really more of a Smooth AC station instead of Smooth jazz. That strategy is what is really killing terrestrial smooth jazz stations.

#12 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

I enjoy XM's Watercolors as well but it seems they Play a lot of Blues & Pop and Not True Jazz which kinda irritates me so I switch to Classic Rewind and then switch back later.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

If it would cut my bill 10 cents a month I'd support getting rid of music channels entirely.

#14 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

I would rather DirecTV have a Slacker app.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#15 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

if they do, please add the talk channels also!

#16 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Folks,

Why in the world would you want Sirius XM or Sonic Tap - either one, when you have Pandora.

I am hoping beyond hope that Pandora is replacement for the Sonic Tap/ XM mentality. Let me 'roll my own' audio channel.

It is great; the ultimate flexibility. And you don't have the loop tape memorized after week.....

#17 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

need option - remove them all... make room for another HD channel if they didnn't waste bandwith for music... between pandora and spotify, that's all you need...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#18 OFFLINE   The_Geyser

The_Geyser

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yes! Music Choice was the best!

#19 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

While overall I prefer DirecTV's channel lineup over Dish Network's, one thing Dish has going for them is Sirius XM.

I enjoy listening to smooth jazz, and the problem with Sonic Tap's Smooth Jazz channel is that they play too many unknown artists that I never heard of. I am subscribed to Sirius XM and I enjoy listening to Watercolors for some nice pink smooth jazz.

Another thing I don't like about Sonic Tap is that during the holiday season, holiday music can only be heard on dedicated holiday channels. Sirius XM's Watercolors, on the other hand, mixed in some holiday smooth jazz during the holiday season, and had the 24 Hours of Christmas on Christmas Day.

I know a lot of people could care less or prefer pandora, but I missed XM so much it was one of the main reasons I switched to Dish. Not only is Sonic Tap's programming terrible, the sound quality is too. Many of the classic jazz is even in mono, when I know very well the originals were stereo (because I own most of them). And I often hear so many compression artifacts, I can hardly stand to listen. I think DirecTV simply went with the low bidder so they're able to say they offer music channels like everybody else. But the quality is so bad, they may as well just drop them altogether.

I complained a lot when they first dropped XM, but that went nowhere obviously. At least they have pandora now, which is a big improvement.

#20 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

if they do, please add the talk channels also!

+1
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...