Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone wish DirecTV would bring back Sirius XM?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Sirius XM back? (496 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want Sirius XM back?

1. Yes, bring back Sirius XM (402 votes [81.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.05%

2. No, keep Sonic Tap (94 votes [18.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

I see absolutely no reason to have any music channel on DirecTV (or Dish, for that matter). I have plenty of other options for music. I look to DirecTV to provide video.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

need option - remove them all... make room for another HD channel if they didnn't waste bandwith for music... between pandora and spotify, that's all you need...

But the latter require an internet connection, which most people don't have.
I prefer Pandora, but listen via browser much more than via DIRECTV® And, yeah, if they (Sonic or Sirius) didn't exist, I'd not fret.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

I voted to bring back SiriusXM, to me it was a much better fit for my listening preferences. Sonic Tap just doesn't have it. Plus I thought the sound quality was better with SiriusXM.

I virtually never use the Sonic Tap channels, but I do use Slacker and one called AOL Radio powered by Slacker on my Ipod and just Airplay that into my receivers. Also a friend of mine has XM in her car, and I paid the extra to get the online SiriusXM channels and use that alot, thus getting Octane and Boneyard back.

#24 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

I prefer Sonic Tap to XM. I listen mainly to traditional Jazz and Standard Vocal's, 850, 851, 852, 855, and 865 .

I listen to XM in my car and ST on the TV, almost always 67 and 850. I don't like the mixture of vocals and instrumentals on 850. OTOH, I mostly don't care for the announcers on 67. They didn't used to be there and I think this must have happened with the Sirius merger.

My daughter has FIOS, and the musical channel they listen to puts up interesting historical bits on the artists. That is a nice touch. Unfortunately, I they like swing and I am more into be-bop and West Coast.

#25 OFFLINE   crazywater

crazywater

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

I like Coffee House on SonicTap channel 848 so it can stay...its about equal to The Spectrum on Sirius/XM.

#26 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

I just consider it an added bonus that DTV has music channels to choose. I don't subscribe to DTV for music. So it really doesn't matter to me if it's Sonic Tap or XM or some other service. I do turn over to the Beautiful Intrumental channel before I leave the house for work most mornings. Just for something relaxing to listen to instead of news or sports talking loudly at me.

#27 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have no preference what service they use. I have Sirius/XM mobile on my iPhone, iPad, and also have a sub in the car. I've never listened that much to any service on the tv.

#28 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

I voted no because I don't use the music feature as is and wouldn't want to supplement others for Sirius. I have a separate sub to XM that I prefer because of channels not offered on Sirius.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#29 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

OTOH, I mostly don't care for the announcers on 67. They didn't used to be there and I think this must have happened with the Sirius merger.

XM had a few channels with DJ's before the merge. Deep Tracks had GTM (George Taylor Morris (RIP)) and Bluesville has Bill Wax. But they were/are DJs who add to the music. I heard a SiriusXM DJ last year just after Labor Day Weekend. He spent 4 minutes talking about what he did over the weekend. Who cares!

#30 OFFLINE   Valve1138

Valve1138

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

Voted no, because I don't really care.
5lnb Slimline to a SWM-16
HR-24, HR-21-700, H25, H23
WHDVR via DECA

#31 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

I bet if SiriusXM became separate companies we would get XM back on Directv again.

#32 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

I bet if SiriusXM became separate companies we would get XM back on Directv again.

If they had remained separate companies one or both would have been bankrupt and gone by now.

As others have pointed out, I don't sub to DTV for music, I do it for television. But Pandora will hopefully fill a niche for those that want it.

#33 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Picked keeping Sonic Tap fills my needs especially now that early audio problems were fixed.

#34 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

On one hand, I would prefer SiriusXM back on DirecTV because I have a subscription in my car and I liked the consistency. Plus, playing another $8 per month to listen to that music in my house is a ripoff.

On the other hand, SiriusXM has been much less customer-friendly since the merger and I'd almost like them not to have any deal that promotes their brand. I'm bitter because when I switched vehicles I went from an XM radio to a Sirius radio, and they couldn't just switch my subscription over to the new vehicle. I had to open a new account and I now pay full price for a Sirius subscription where before I was paying for one full price XM sub (my wife's car) and one reduced price XM sub (my car). I seriously (siriusly?) have two subscriptions to the same flippin company. The whole thing seems like a ripoff, all because "we merged but we still operate two companies." It's a bunch of BS.

#35 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

There's no option for those who don't care either way. I never listen to the music channels so what service DIRECTV has doesn't impact me at all. I have 5 devices that can stream music, yes I know some places don't have broadband internet, but the majority of consumers do have at least a 1.5 connection now. My AVR, BR, TV, Xbox, cell phone, and a soon to be named device has access to stream from the internet. I use spotify more than any other service so that means I use my AVR more than any other device. However my family uses Pandora more than anything so they use the other devices.

#36 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

folks,

why in the world would you want sirius xm or sonic tap - either one, when you have pandora.

I am hoping beyond hope that pandora is replacement for the sonic tap/ xm mentality. Let me 'roll my own' audio channel.

It is great; the ultimate flexibility. And you don't have the loop tape memorized after week.....

are we getting pandora?????

#37 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

are we getting pandora?????

Yes, I just Love My Pandora!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#38 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Can;t respond to the poll since because I use DirecTV for TV not music.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#39 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

I see from the poll that I am the minority here.

I have XM in the car. It is better than FM but not much. There are no commercials but blabbing blabbing blabbing after almost every song and other irritating "interviews", "guest dj's", news reports, promos for other XM channels/programs, etc. It wasn't like this prior to the XM/Sirius merger. Back then, I had XM in the car and TWO XM receivers in my home. Not anymore.

Since DirecTV fixed the audio quality and stereo problems with various Sonic Tap (DMX) channels, I am VERY HAPPY with it and consider it a valuable part of my DirecTV subscription.

I have also noticed that DMX is attending to their channels updating the music much more often now that their audience includes the millions of DirecTV subscribers. The first year that DMX was on DirecTV there were channels that were literally ignored playing the same songs over and over again. Now, all the channels (even "oldies" channels) seem to be getting fresh selections.

I'm happy!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#40 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

The big advantage to the Sirius/XM channels is, they are 'programmed' by actual human beings, and most channel have the 'programmers' actually host the programing ('DJs') . Of course, Sonic Tap uses cheap silicon to 'program' their channels, just like XM did (on most their channels but not all) before the XM/Sirius merger.

Other than some technical superiority (that still exists between XM and Sirius when broadcasting to a moving vehicle), a little bit of added info from the DJ's on a particular song/group, or generalized music news (concert info and the like), helps to 'break up' the programming and make it livelier overall.

I enjoyed it when it was on DirecTV, although by that time I had switched out my Sirius system to one what was 'convertible' (moveable) between the car and home, rather than have two units (and two subscriptions, although one does get a 'deal' on additional subs), but it was nice to have it wherever a DirecTV receiver was.

I would bet that DirecTV went to Sonic Tap strictly because of lower cost, and going back would be more $. So you can figure where that would get you in the DirecTV board room.

It's interesting someone brought up 'Pandora', because according to the XM/Sirius folks, that's the 'business model' they are slowly working toward (and you can see that in the newest android powered receivers) is a sat/internet combined unit that (eventually) will 'combine' several channels/sources to create individualized personal 'channels' of music that meet ones preference.

Edited by 1948GG, 27 January 2012 - 09:20 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...