Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone wish DirecTV would bring back Sirius XM?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Sirius XM back? (496 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want Sirius XM back?

1. Yes, bring back Sirius XM (402 votes [81.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.05%

2. No, keep Sonic Tap (94 votes [18.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

I rarely listen to the music channels on D.I have them removed from my favs list.I honestly think these are better because they have NO talking heads like the former service has.I have D for TV not radio.If they moved the music channels to a seperate tier on their own,I'd drop them in a minute.But that's just me.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Want Sirius, more programming costs. That's what it comes down to. Also consider that the commercial establishments that subscribe to D* were not very happy with the DJ's talking. All those doctor's offices, etc, etc.

There are tradeoffs for everything....some folks will like and some folks will not.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

Sorry neither choice appeals to me, thus I'm gonna withhold my vote. Not to say that I have on occasion listened to the Sonic music channels, I just prefer Music Choice and Pandora.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#44 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

*shrug* I've moved on to internet streaming radio, like Pandora on my AppleTV. I would think the bandwidth saved by removing some (maybe not all) music channels to be repurposed into video channels would be more beneficial than the customers inconvenienced by the removal of said channels. With the proliferation of the Internet and streaming music, dedicated music channels on the TV are obsolete.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#45 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,173 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Don't see an option for "No opinion either way"

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#46 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

I highly doubt Directv would bring back Sirius/XM as they just had their rates jacked up by the music industry and it would cost more for Directv to acquire.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

*shrug* I've moved on to internet streaming radio, like Pandora on my AppleTV. I would think the bandwidth saved by removing some (maybe not all) music channels to be repurposed into video channels would be more beneficial than the customers inconvenienced by the removal of said channels. With the proliferation of the Internet and streaming music, dedicated music channels on the TV are obsolete.

I agree they are obsolete also in my household, and I suspect for the majority here. But I wonder about the rest of the world? (The rest of the sub base.) Those who could shed light on that won't due to NDAs or employment considerations.......
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

I agree they are obsolete also in my household, and I suspect for the majority here. But I wonder about the rest of the world? (The rest of the sub base.) Those who could shed light on that won't due to NDAs or employment considerations.......

I think we're moving away from specific device boxes and moving more towards 'lifestyle' components. The Xbox 360 is a great example that not only does gaming, but streaming movies, music, and even works (or will work) as a receiver for FiOS and U-Verse customers. I think DirecTV could certainly take advantage of this. YouTube integration is a big step, as well as Media Share. There's a world of possibilities to explore for them with different IP services!
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

I think we're moving away from specific device boxes and moving more towards 'lifestyle' components. The Xbox 360 is a great example that not only does gaming, but streaming movies, music, and even works (or will work) as a receiver for FiOS and U-Verse customers. I think DirecTV could certainly take advantage of this. YouTube integration is a big step, as well as Media Share. There's a world of possibilities to explore for them with different IP services!

Indeed. And TV sets are packing in more and more of that stuff, too.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

No for 2 reasons

1) They are not just MUSIC (They have talking and DTV doesnt want talking)
2) THEY ARE GARBAGE NOW COMPARED TO BEFORE THEY MERGED WITH SIRIUS!!

All the good channels i liked are gone........

Sonic is MUCH better (Almost as good as Music Choice)

#51 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:20 AM

No for 2 reasons

1) They are not just MUSIC (They have talking and DTV doesnt want talking)
2) THEY ARE GARBAGE NOW COMPARED TO BEFORE THEY MERGED WITH SIRIUS!!

I Agree that they are Allowing More & More Talking and they are Promoting Musicians and their CDs and their Tours by talking about them which is Not why I Subscribe to XM Radio Free Of Commercials.

You have to know that they are being Paid to Advertise & Promote these Musicians and their CDs and Tours.

Regardless I don't Subscribe to a Commercial Free Music Service to Listen to Chatter whether it is a commercial or just talk promoting Artists for whatever reason.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#52 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

are we getting pandora?????

Yes. Well, already got. If I'm not mistaken, Pandora is on all HR receivers that are connected to the Internet that have a recent CE download. I have it (And full YouTube, too) on my HR24 and it's not something I use everyday but it's nice to know it's there. The Pandora audio quality is good, too.

#53 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

Sonic is MUCH better (Almost as good as Music Choice)

The majority who voted in the poll seem to have a differing opinion, myself included. As a music collector I found the XM channels surprised me more than Sonic Tap or Music Choice ever did. I guess if you're only using it for background music anything will suffice and the DJs would be annoying. I personally would listen to hear music I'd never heard before, one of the reasons I avoid terrestrial radio since that seldom happens.

As has been stated previously, now that I have streaming options for music XMs departure isn't a huge issue. Doesn't change the fact that I and a whole lot of other folks didn't find the transition to Sonic Tap a lateral move, but a substantial downgrade. It's not that big an issue now, but you can't convince me Sonic Tap is the better option.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#54 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

I enjoyed the chatter of XM more then the music selections.. MLB, NHL are almost worth the price of admission to me.. Note that I wrote almost.. With Pandora on its way to D*(hopefully) who truly needs a service like Sirusxm as well?

With that said 25 bucks for six months of XM is ok deal in my book but 20 for each individual month is hardly worth it..

#55 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

I like my XM. I use it at work and home. However, I kinda think Pandora will make the music channels pretty much obsolete.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#56 OFFLINE   electrober6

electrober6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I like Sirius XM Underground Garage.
I pay no attention at all to Sonic Tap.

+1
HR24 500 DVR + Samsung LED 32" + AV Reciever Onkyo TX-NR609 (16 Years with Directv)

#57 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Bring back XM. I liked their holiday offerings better than Sonic Tap.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#58 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Not at all. There are very few stations on XM that I don't like better on SonicTap. And there are several new ones that I wouldn't want to give up. Throw in the annoying DJs and higher cost charged to DTV, and it's a no-brainer to me that SonicTap/DMX is superior. I just wish I could get SonicTap in my car instead of that horribly compressed XM signal. I do enjoy XMs MLB broadcasts, but it's kind of sad you only get the home team feed of each game.

#59 OFFLINE   hammer32

hammer32

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

I would like SiriusXM on D* only so I'd have the same options in the house as in the car.

#60 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

I have XM I the car and don't want it at home, happy with SonicTap since I hate the DJ's babble.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...