Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone wish DirecTV would bring back Sirius XM?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Sirius XM back? (496 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want Sirius XM back?

1. Yes, bring back Sirius XM (402 votes [81.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.05%

2. No, keep Sonic Tap (94 votes [18.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

I would rather my TV provider worry about giving me access to TV stations not music. I find it hard to believe that they would lose many customers over dropping them either.

If DirecTV dropped the music channels they would lose me as a customer as soon as I could get a competitor that DID offer music channels installed. And I give them over $100 a month. I'm sure many millions of other customers feel the same way.

As a matter of fact, my primary reason for switching to DirecTV in 2000 was because the cable company was dropping DMX (of all things) which at the time came with a separate set top box and 30 music channels for $5 extra per month. In my case when DirecTV switched to DMX (Sonic Tap) I really could say "what goes around comes around"!! It just took 9 years. ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

If DirecTV dropped the music channels they would lose me as a customer as soon as I could get a competitor that DID offer music channels installed. And I give them over $100 a month. I'm sure many millions of other customers feel the same way.

As a matter of fact, my primary reason for switching to DirecTV in 2000 was because the cable company was dropping DMX (of all things) which at the time came with a separate set top box and 30 music channels for $5 extra per month. In my case when DirecTV switched to DMX (Sonic Tap) I really could say "what goes around comes around"!! It just took 9 years. ;)

what if they drop the basic price by $3 and made the music a $3 add on?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#103 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

Does anyone wish DirecTV would bring back Sirius XM?

No.

#104 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

I actually kind of like Sonic Tap's offerings. I have no problems with it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#105 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

I subscribe to Sirius and appreciate talk-show programming. I don't recall much of it while the service was carried on DirecTV. So I don't find myself missing it. In fact, if DirecTV ever does a major channel reallocation (on the heels of ever-expanding regional sports programming launches), I would love for the audio music (whatever the brand) be relegated to four-digit channel numbers.

#106 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Yeah I have XM in the car, and sometimes it is good to listen to talk radio etc, but I generally don't listen to that at all at home, and the music selection Sonic offers is pretty good in my opinion.

Love the Irish channel for instance. Love it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#107 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

I looked up each song as it was played and most of them were in the top 30 but EVERY SONG WAS LISTED meaning it was played on radio since Whitburn's book is taken from the Billboard Hot 100 charts which were (and probably still are) based on radio airplay.

Back in the '80s, the Hot 100 was based on reported sales of singles (but, of course, sales tend to be pretty closely tied to radio airplay). It's now based on a combination of sales, radio airplay, and Internet streaming.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#108 OFFLINE   petetheaxe

petetheaxe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

I listen to alt nation at work on XM. The depth of the playlist on Sonic Tap's alt channel makes XM look like an overpriced joke.

#109 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,601 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

I used to listen to XM a lot. After they switched I tried it for a few days and couldn't get into it. I miss the 60's on 6. I now use Internet radio streams I set up in TVersity, through Music and Photos.
H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#110 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

I have D to watch tv,not listen to radio.The music channels are deleted on my setups.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#111 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

I'll be dropping SiriusXM from both of my cars as soon as the current trial subscriptions expire. Both have the ability to play directly from hard drive, USB and Ipod so I can choose exactly what I want to listen to from over 10,000 songs in my library. For the cost of SiriusXM I can download at least 3 albums per month to play anytime and anywhere. That said, I still prefer SiriusXM to Sonic on my TV but even then for a couple hours per month it isn't all that important especially if it would cost more.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#112 OFFLINE   The_Geyser

The_Geyser

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Music Choice was the better than either of these. Bring them back!

#113 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Over on the XMFan message board one poster is claiming that SiriusXM IS on its way back to DirecTV. Does anyone have anything on this?

#114 OFFLINE   scooby2

scooby2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Over on the XMFan message board one poster is claiming that SiriusXM IS on its way back to DirecTV. Does anyone have anything on this?

My guess is wishful thinking. I do miss having a good uncensored alternative hard rock station to listen to. Last I checked Sonic Tap was censored (boo).

#115 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

I hate to admit it, but I like Sonic Tap's channels. I have to give the nod to Sirius/XM for better overall playlists, but I like that Sonic Tap has pure music and no DJs. I prefer Sonic Tap to Music Choice.

Music Choice seems to have gone downhill since its DirecTV departure. I listen to it occasionally through Road Runner. Songs sometimes come in at drastically different volumes, like someone haphazardly threw their MP3 collection into a playlist

#116 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

I like listening to both but I do like SiriusXm over Sonic Tap. I read something about a week ago that SiriusXm was being integrated with Google TV. If I understood correctly it seemed to work very similar to how D* brings us Pandora. I wonder if D* would ever consider bringing such option for SiriusXM. It wouldn't be D* carrying the channels but rather those of us that have SiriusXM accounts being able to log in and listen like we do now with Pandora through the extras menu.

#117 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I used to listen to XM a lot. After they switched I tried it for a few days and couldn't get into it. I miss the 60's on 6. I now use Internet radio streams I set up in TVersity, through Music and Photos.

I enjoy 60's music occasionally also. And one of the benefits of the Sonic Tap (DMX) 60's channel (and all their channels) is song after song without interruption. Blabby DJ interruption used to annoy me back IN THE SIXTIES when the songs were CURRENT and on AM radio. But that was nothing compared to suffering through the XM "60's on 6" channel with CONSTANT blabbing over the songs and between every song. Why can't these artifacts of a bygone era just fade away (like "Cousin Brucie)??

Give me continuous music any time!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#118 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,601 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I enjoy 60's music occasionally also. And one of the benefits of the Sonic Tap (DMX) 60's channel (and all their channels) is song after song without interruption. Blabby DJ interruption used to annoy me back IN THE SIXTIES when the songs were CURRENT and on AM radio. But that was nothing compared to suffering through the XM "60's on 6" channel with CONSTANT blabbing over the songs and between every song. Why can't these artifacts of a bygone era just fade away (like "Cousin Brucie)??

That is what I liked about the Xm 60's, the DJs.
H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#119 OFFLINE   Bobsacto

Bobsacto

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

If it still was just XM I would be all for the switch back but the Sirius satellite music playlist for any particular channel could fit on an 8-track tape. Thanks Mel. So put me down to keep the current provider.

#120 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Buy an iPod.

#121 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

I would rather them bring back Sirius/XM. I used that so much more than I ever have SonicTap.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#122 OFFLINE   bman3333

bman3333

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

My wife and I are big music fans and have subs for SiriusXM in both our cars. We really miss it on DirecTV, since we could play it through our AV receiver and whole house audio. While Sonic Tap is better than Music Choice (which I have to listen to at work), it is a weak impersonation of SiriusXM. Perhaps Directv can drop the former music channels from viacom and use the money towards actual original music programming provided by SiriusXM!

#123 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hate xm/sir - the djs are annoying.

Just shutup & play the music.

#124 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

There wasn't an option for Who Cares? I don't really want either.

#125 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

An Awesome Dude

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hate xm/sir - the djs are annoying.

Just shutup & play the music.

I agree!!!!!!

Boy i hope not!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...