Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV2 remote rarely works

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

We've had our 722 for almost 3 years now using the TV2 remote for our second fed HDTV (via HDMI splitter) in our bedroom, that is roughly 35 feet away. Initially, we had to point the remote in certain directions to get it to work and then found the A/B switch to increase the sensitivity distance. That worked beautifully and we've had no problems...until now. We've swapped the batteries and just cannot find a consistent sweet spot to get the remote to work...extremely frustrating. If I go to the living room and stand right in front of the box, it works perfectly. So, this drives two questions: 1) do I need a new remote or 2) is something wrong with the box/antenna attempting to receive the remote's command at that distance? Nothing has changed in my house (no new walls or anything). I don't really want to spend $15 on a new remote when I don't know if that will solve the problem. Any advice / troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

I just had a thought after writing this...would it be possible to make the "antenna" closer to the bedroom by running coaxial cable from the antenna point on the receiver box under the house and attaching the "antenna" connector on the opposite end closer to my bedroom? Thanks.

#3 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

I just had a thought after writing this...would it be possible to make the "antenna" closer to the bedroom by running coaxial cable from the antenna point on the receiver box under the house and attaching the "antenna" connector on the opposite end closer to my bedroom? Thanks.

This is what I was going to recommend. You'll need a spare piece of coax and a barrel connector. Connect the coax to where the antenna would be on the back of the receiver, and connect the antenna on the end of that piece of cable. Run the cable off to the side a bit so the antenna is more exposed, and see if your remote is working better. If it's still having the same issues, you likely need a replacement remote.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
DISH Internet Response Team

#4 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for confirming my suspicion Matt. It actually couldn't have been any easier. I already had a coaxial run going to the bedroom for when I use to use the standard def feed. I simply removed the antenna from the box and swapped it with the SD feed, then connected the antenna to the wall plate I had in the bedroom. It works perfectly and is nicely hidden behind my HDTV. Whew! Finally an easy fix comes my way.

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

If you still want to use that line for independent TV2 SD viewing, you can add a pair of splitters to combine the signals.
http://www.dishuser.org/uhfextend.php
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall