Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Direct TV. Home DVR Hr 44

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

There is no HR44. If there were, I would be keeping mum about it, but there isn't.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

There is a successor to the HR34 already in development. How it differs, I don't know, but several semi-loose lips referenced it at CES.

#23 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

Well of course there is... there's always something on the horizon. But I doubt it's far enough along that we can really talk about it here.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

That's the one place I'd actually PREFER a cable lol No more rain fade!!

Installation cost might be a tad bit high though.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#25 OFFLINE   Mastec

Mastec

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm a Directv Tech and the HR 44 is coming soon

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

If that's the case, I hope wireless is the only real difference.

#27 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

If that's the case, I hope wireless is the only real difference.

I doubt it's true. He has one whole post, and that's it lol
I DON'T see the point of wireless at all! With DECA, you have internet right through the coax connection. The only way wireless would be good would be like wireless from the SWM to the receiver. Do you really want Live Tv being sent wirelessly to your receiver? And what happens when you have that receiver recording 5 different channels at once? That's a lot of bits flying around!

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

I doubt it's true. He has one whole post, and that's it lol
I DON'T see the point of wireless at all! With DECA, you have internet right through the coax connection. The only way wireless would be good would be like wireless from the SWM to the receiver. Do you really want Live Tv being sent wirelessly to your receiver? And what happens when you have that receiver recording 5 different channels at once? That's a lot of bits flying around!

Wireless RVU would be cool. Put a tv and C30/31 in any room that got a signal without needing a coax line. I don't think the 34 supports that version.

A wireless DVR itself just seems like a bad idea. A client is different.

And I believe we've had new members tell us something, and it does end up coming true within reason of what they originally said.

#29 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Wireless RVU would be cool. Put a tv and C30/31 in any room that got a signal without needing a coax line. I don't think the 34 supports that version.

Isn't there an unused access point built into to W-CCK? Seems like that could be enabled to work with a wireless RVU client, if there was one.

#30 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Wireless to an RVU might be doable, but I'd STILL prefer wired. I prefer wired and use it for everything I can (ESPECIALLY moving video around).

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Wireless to an RVU might be doable, but I'd STILL prefer wired. I prefer wired and use it for everything I can (ESPECIALLY moving video around).

Me too,but we've had people on here asking about that kind of functionality. There would be a market.

#32 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Me too,but we've had people on here asking about that kind of functionality. There would be a market.

Now if/when the wireless RVU comes out, is that going to be something we have to fight about? Me: "I want a wired RVU." Directv CSR: "I can't specify wired or wireless. You'll take what we ship." lol

#33 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Will it record 8 things at once? ;)

#34 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Will it record 8 things at once? ;)

Actually that I could kinda see, and would be cool if it worked correctly. Run 1 cable from the LNB to the receiver, then have it wirelessly blast out signal to the RVU clients. That's IF it can be done correctly.

#35 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Maybe they could break the damn 2TB drive barrier with it. Im all in for a dual 3TB raid inside the box :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#36 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Maybe they could break the damn 2TB drive barrier with it. Im all in for a dual 3TB raid inside the box :)

That I like too!

#37 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

I took a U-who wireless HD receiver for a test drive and was quite surprised how well it worked.
They use a 5 GHz N access point, and with my survey software, found it was the only 5 GHz WiFi in the area. The 2.4 band is fairly full around this apartment complex.
A.K.A VOS

#38 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

.....And it will need a third party listing before that happens. Nothing as of this point.

#39 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

A wireless RVU would be very nice for me and I could think of several places in my 2 story house that it would come in handy (kitchen, formal living room, master bath). Short of running wires down the side of my house and through the outside wall, I have 2 rooms where I have 0 possibility of getting a coax cable for a receiver. I could also use it in the master bath where the wife likes to watch TV while she gets dressed in the morning. Right now, I have to run cables under the carpet to slave off the master bedroom DVR. I could also use it outside by the pool to watch TV while the kids are playing outside. I have a wireless box by X10 that is supposed to provider this functionality today; however it's never worked very well. So long story short, I could definitely see a need/use for this type of device in my household.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#40 OFFLINE   radioguy

radioguy

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'm the stig, and there's no HR-44, but there is an HR-666...

Techs will always be the last to know, and some of them will be the first to blow smoke.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...