Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Direct TV. Home DVR Hr 44

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

My installer mentioned the HR44 3 months ago when he tried to get me to change my mind with the HR34 and to keep my HR24. With all my problems I wished I listened. He did also mention the C31's would be replaced also with C34's all wireless....

Tonight I saw CES with the hopper now coming out with a sling box setup in it. DTV will fight back so now more than ever I believe in the HR44 or another unit to combat the hopper. Dish seems to really to be ramping up there level....While DTV is still having issues getting the 1 year old plus Genie to work right..... Perhaps a switch is in the near future. if the newest hopper would have 5 tuners in it, wow then DTV is history on my end.

Edited by Datagg, 09 January 2013 - 01:44 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Well, congratulations to all the new DTV customers who will get the latest technology without a shred of being loyal customers . . . and the continued scraps to the existing customers who have paid their bills entirely and on time for 7-8 years or more.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#103 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Well, congratulations to all the new DTV customers who will get the latest technology without a shred of being loyal customers . . . and the continued scraps to the existing customers who have paid their bills entirely and on time for 7-8 years or more.

I felt that way also.... I wanted the Hopper, yet I liked the Genie also..... A call to DTV saying I wanted the Hopper and I dont care of early cancellation fees, but i wish i could stay yet the wife loves the Hopper. 2 days later, a free Genie instal. It may not work for everyone, but its worth a shot.... But remember i was really ready to go to Dish.... It was no bluff, but if it was and they called it me on it, i guess i would have rambled on a bit more until that was exausted. They want to keep you, speaking the Hopper is like kryptinite to them...

#104 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

At least they are making the Texas PP nationwide. That does help quite a bit.

#105 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

When it does come out this site will create a thread called, "First Look at DirecTVs New HR44", about 1 month after 100 other sites already posted information about it.

#106 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I agree totally with this statement. I got a HR-34 a few weeks ago to replace my HR-24 and the 34 is slower in changing channels to the point it is irritating. Also RF does not work any better either. Not excited about this purchase at all. I was under the impression that in this age of advanced electronics that we were supposed to progress with each upgrade, not regress. Let's concentrate more on getting the current product working properly before going to the next. IMHO

I agree with this... although I got a steep discount on my HR34 I'm not pleased with it's performance. Quicktune literally takes 2.5 seconds to come up and basic operations via guide and menus is just slower than my HR24-500 was.
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

#107 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Do you have Native on or off? If its on, try off.

This would allow faster channel changes but I prefer to view in whatever resolution the content provider sends and not have my HR34 upconvert everything. I feel like I'm losing picture quality if I do this. Am I wrong about that? Thanks

#108 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,846 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

This would allow faster channel changes but I prefer to view in whatever resolution the content provider sends and not have my HR34 upconvert everything. I feel like I'm losing picture quality if I do this. Am I wrong about that? Thanks

You know what they say... You can't have your cake and eat it too.

What's more important to you, picture quality or fast channel changes? It takes time for your TV to change resolutions when you change between channels that have different resolutions. When native is on the slowness isn't solely in the DVR, it's your TV as well because it has to change resolutions.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#109 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

You know what they say... You can't have your cake and eat it too.

What's more important to you, picture quality or fast channel changes? It takes time for your TV to change resolutions when you change between channels that have different resolutions. When native is on the slowness isn't solely in the DVR, it's your TV as well because it has to change resolutions.

I don't mind the time it takes to change channels, what I mentioned was slow Quicktune, guide & menus.

#110 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

I LOVE how everyone is getting worked up over rumours and mists
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#111 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

:)

#112 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Let's continue this discussion at the following link. :)

HR44-700 Genie First Look

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...