Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung TV quality?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung quality, such as how long it lasts, etc? It just get's so repetitive so stand at Best Buy and look at TV after TV, they all look the same..but something about the Samsung Smart TVs, the color/picture quality was amazing! They just look so good.

However, at a different forum there seems to be a number of people saying there 3 or 4 yr old Samsung died or had problems..which is making me re-consider. What is the oldest LCD TV anyone has that has actually lasted beyong 5 yrs?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

As owner of five, look elsewhere

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

What is the oldest LCD TV anyone has that has actually lasted beyong 5 yrs?

Thanks

OK, dont laugh. My 37" Polaroid still works perfect. Its so old, it doesnt even have an ATSC tuner in it.

My well over 5 yr old 46" Sharp Aquos looks as good as the day I bought it. I liked the PQ so much, I replaced it last year with a 60" Aquos.

Cousin has a 55" LG he loves.

Truth is, they are all pretty much the same if calibrated right. Look at warranty's, location of service center, availability of local service, features you want, etc. Only the truly el-cheapo off brand models are going to have a sub-par PQ.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

As owner of five, look elsewhere

You bought 5 that you don't like? That's smart. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Truth is, they are all pretty much the same if calibrated right. Look at warranty's, location of service center, availability of local service, features you want, etc. Only the truly el-cheapo off brand models are going to have a sub-par PQ.

Excellent advice.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,697 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

It's not the PQ that would be the issue. On avsforums sometime back it was a common statement that the Sammies used some components barely within spec and this resulted in in a limited lifespan. I do not know if this has changed or not. This was several years back chatter and a lot has changed I'm sure.

Really you need deep dive over there and see what the scuttlebutt is currently.

Don "should take my own advice time permitting" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#7 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hmm, I've seen alot of threads about Sharp over at AVS, I'll have to do some research and look at them in the store. I've also liked the PQ of some LG sets, buy the guy at Best Buy said LG was on the lower end, Samsung was better. Thanks for the replys!

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

You bought 5 that you don't like? That's smart. :rolleyes:

The don't like part came after the purchase.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hmm, I've seen alot of threads about Sharp over at AVS, I'll have to do some research and look at them in the store. I've also liked the PQ of some LG sets, buy the guy at Best Buy said LG was on the lower end, Samsung was better. Thanks for the replys!

Please check out AVSForum, and unless he is one of the 0.01% of Best Buy employees that actually knows more than the customer, I wouldnt listen to a word any of them said. Ive never owned one, but I would not consider LG as low end set. Westinghouse, Sanyo, Dynex, Insignia, etc are low end. Some consider Vizio a low end set, some dont. All opinions, really.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

I have a older LG that has been great. I also had a Vizio that died after 2 years.

LG = good
Vizio = bad

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

I've read all the threads about older Samsungs dying but I bought one anyway. I figure they probably learned from their mistakes.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

You can read threads about failing TV's from every manufacturer.

Samsung is no better or worse than others in that regard.

What matters (to some) is the final picture, which you can't gauge at the store. You need to find expert and user reviews regarding how the display (the particular model) looks after final calibration - they'e not all equal, especially with black levels.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

What matters (to some) is the final picture, which you can't gauge at the store. You need to find expert and user reviews regarding how the display (the particular model) looks after final calibration - they'e not all equal, especially with black levels.

Word! :yesman:

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

The one thing that I'll say, and I agree with the enthusiasts here, is that there is no way to completely disable the auto-dimming feature on the Samsungs without losing a lot of other functionality. You can minimize it but you'll still see it if there is, for example, one line of white text on a completely black background.

I'll also mention that my Samsung had some jumpiness with Auto Motion Plus with the first few software releases but it seems much better now.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

I have 4 and so far I have not had any problens. Oldest is 6 years old.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

You can get a one month subscription to Consumer Reports online for under $4.

In looking at the ratings of various TVs, it seems obvious that brand is not a determining factor in satisfaction.

Regardless of what the people who are still clinging to their 15+ year old TVs say, most modern TVs are kinda flimsy and should not be compared with the TVs or brand names of yesteryear.

The other issue (especially with flat screens) seems to be that repair is decreasingly an option when they crap out. Where old TVs could be repaired board-level or with the replacement of an off-the-shelf component, the new TVs may require a complete electronics or panel replacement (I worry especially about the LED backlit TVs).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

You can get a one month subscription to Consumer Reports online for under $4.

In looking at the ratings of various TVs, it seems obvious that brand is not a determining factor in satisfaction.

Regardless of what the people who are still clinging to their 15+ year old TVs say, most modern TVs are kinda flimsy and should not be compared with the TVs or brand names of yesteryear.

The other issue (especially with flat screens) seems to be that repair is decreasingly an option when they crap out. Where old TVs could be repaired board-level or with the replacement of an off-the-shelf component, the new TVs may require a complete electronics or panel replacement (I worry especially about the LED backlit TVs).

Consumer Reports is not where you go for electronic purchases like TVs. They're extremely skewed and flawed.

#18 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Consumer Reports is not where you go for electronic purchases like TVs. They're extremely skewed and flawed.

They are a fine source for reliability data. For the ratings you have to see if what they consider important is the same as what you consider important. Always been that way..

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

+1.

I would search through CNN and Consumer reports for info, too.

Looking at store displays, and/or and talking with most salespeople is a waste of time, at least as far as PQ and reliability go.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

For what it's worth, Samsung had its second-generation DLPs melting the plastic inside, which they fixed with a replacement part.

A year or so later the screen was half-blacking out during use. Seemed to be a heat issue. (An external fan blowing on the component fixed that)

I used mine without much problem (barring the need for the extra fan) till about year 5 when the color wheel blew apart and I replaced it and the lamp.

After another 3 months the system would just power down periodically for no apparent reason and it only started getting more and more frequent until I replaced it this month.

So, I'm a little dubious about Samsung's testing methodology. Granted, it was a first gen part, but spending that kind of cash I expected longer trouble-free service. It's just an annecdote, but I'm avoiding samsung for the time being, myself. Bad vibes.

I'm pretty happy with the new LG 55LE5600 I just got as a replacement though! I'll let you know how I feel in 5 years. ;)

spam firewall