Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung TV quality?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Purchased a Samsung LCD, LN-S4696D in June of 2006, still going strong, never a problem with ht.

Purchased a Samsung plasma, PN50C8000. It had a problem were every now and then the set acted like it had powered off and then back on really quick, it was on a UPS so not a power problem. Samsung sent tech out three times replacing various boards with no luck. They they said they'd replace it, got a new PN51D8000 plus they refunded the money I had spent on the 3D glassed with the new model needed for the D8000. While it was a PITA having the problem very happy with the resolution and how they handled it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I've also liked the PQ of some LG sets, buy the guy at Best Buy said LG was on the lower end,

Complete BS. One of the highest qualities and consistently good picture reviews and possibly the best built in calibration program in the business.

And as for Polaroid, it is lower end, but I have to say I paid a fraction for it than many other brands that had a smaller screen size that what I bought, and it has very decent picture, and so far lasted three years. It's lacking all the bells and whistles, but again, for the price paid a good deal.

#23 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

My mom has had a Samsung 40" for the past two years and loves it. I just got a 32" LG for Christmas, and it is working well.

It would help if you could post your specs and what features you are looking for in order for us to make some recommendations.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#24 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Once again thanks for all the replys! The Samsung I'm looking at would be the UN46D6000. It has pretty damn good reviews, I think 4 out 5 stars. It seems like Samsung's customer support is pretty good, offering refunds and replacements.

I agree, I think the new TVs these days aren't going to last as long as those before. My dad had a 52" projection tv (huge, heavy TV) that only lasted for about 6-7 yrs, they said it would be more to fix than just to replace...but he had the extended warranty, and the store covered a new one. :)

Basically, I had a 42" Vizio before this, paid nearly $600 for it, the PQ was very pixely, grainy, and just wasn't wonderful, like "eh, looks pretty good I guess" I tried HDMI cables, an upscaling DVD player, but still the PQ was OK, not awesome. Overall, the TV seemed kinda cheap. I ended up returning it.

So now I'm looking for something that will actually "wow" me, or atleast somewhat, and the Samsungs PQ looks awesome. A friend of mine has a Samsung,and I think the PQ is beautiful.

#25 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Have you read the User's Manual for this TV? It appears that they use proprietary cables for hooking up Component and Composite video inputs.

I believe we are approaching a good time to purchase a television set anyways, as the Super Bowl is coming up, and the electronic retailers are about to have sales. One thing that I would consider getting is a "SVGA Cables with 3.5mm Stereo Plug" from Monoprice, as that would allow you to hook up a PC to your TV. Of course, a DVI to HDMI cable would work as well.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#26 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Once again thanks for all the replys! The Samsung I'm looking at would be the UN46D6000. It has pretty damn good reviews, I think 4 out 5 stars. It seems like Samsung's customer support is pretty good, offering refunds and replacements.

I wouldn't spend $1k on a 46" TV (I've seen a Panny 60" for that price and the Mits 82" for only $1400), but if I were it would be THIS

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

I agree, I think the new TVs these days aren't going to last as long as those before. My dad had a 52" projection tv (huge, heavy TV) that only lasted for about 6-7 yrs, they said it would be more to fix than just to replace...but he had the extended warranty, and the store covered a new one. :)

Basically, I had a 42" Vizio before this, paid nearly $600 for it, the PQ was very pixely, grainy, and just wasn't wonderful, like "eh, looks pretty good I guess" I tried HDMI cables, an upscaling DVD player, but still the PQ was OK, not awesome. Overall, the TV seemed kinda cheap. I ended up returning it.

So now I'm looking for something that will actually "wow" me, or atleast somewhat, and the Samsungs PQ looks awesome. A friend of mine has a Samsung,and I think the PQ is beautiful.

You might consider a Panasonic plasma. Panasonic rates them at 42 years of life. That's using one six hours a day.

Won't look as good PQ-wise in a well lit store, but at home it delivers quite a picture. I've got eight of them, five of them 720p, and I wouldn't consider an LCD unless it was a Sony. I did a lot of looking at LCDs in the last year and ended up with another Panny plasma. Even the 720p sets, which I started buying in 2006 still have superb PQ. The only thing about the plasmas is you have to really read the specs for each model. I'd recommend the ST30 models as the bottom acceptable Panny plasmas. Good prices now.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Have you read the User's Manual for this TV? It appears that they use proprietary cables for hooking up Component and Composite video inputs.

I believe we are approaching a good time to purchase a television set anyways, as the Super Bowl is coming up, and the electronic retailers are about to have sales. One thing that I would consider getting is a "SVGA Cables with 3.5mm Stereo Plug" from Monoprice, as that would allow you to hook up a PC to your TV. Of course, a DVI to HDMI cable would work as well.

My new VT series Panasonic plasma has the same thing, short adapter cables from a 3.5mm jack to the RCA females for component and composite. I think its because these displays have gotten so thin that space on the back panel is at a real premium and this allows them to condense the input section into a smaller piece of real estate. They supply all the cables you need so I don't think it's a big deal.

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

My new VT series Panasonic plasma has the same thing, short adapter cables from a 3.5mm jack to the RCA females for component and composite. I think its because these displays have gotten so thin that space on the back panel is at a real premium and this allows them to condense the input section into a smaller piece of real estate. They supply all the cables you need so I don't think it's a big deal.

Do tell him how you like the PQ. Please.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Do tell him how you like the PQ. Please.

Rich

Gladly, although there is no shortage of posts from me elsewhere on this site saying that it's the best looking TV picture I've ever seen. I even prefer it to my last generation Pioneer Kuro, which I didn't think I'd be able to say. The Sammys have good pictures too but if it were my money it's going to be Panasonic instead. The blacks are just a tad better, especially detail level in the darkest scenes and colors are vibrant without being over saturated. I just wish they made a 75" inch model with the same picture quality! :-)

#31 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

Samsung is rated (at) the top. They have the most cutting edge, most feature and technology rich sets on the market. My 2007 (vintage) 1080p24, 30, 60, 3D DLP is the most amazing "TV" I have ever had. And it's running strong two and half years later (purchased 9/08). Their new AMOLED units look to be the best feature rich available.

Drucifer, waddya get and what's your problem(s)?

#32 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Bought a low end 720p Sammy 46" DLP in 2005. During the first year it had blown 2 bulbs and quit working entirely. Took it back to CC where I bought it. They fixed it and within a couple of weeks it had blown another bulb. Took it back to them and they sent it off somewhere else. (they had a local TV shop doing most of their repairs) Took about 3 weeks.

Since it came back in mid 2006 it has not batted an eye. Same bulb is still going strong. So not sure what this other shop did but they fixed it. A little too good if you ask me as I am ready to replace it. :)

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Gladly, although there is no shortage of posts from me elsewhere on this site saying that it's the best looking TV picture I've ever seen. I even prefer it to my last generation Pioneer Kuro, which I didn't think I'd be able to say. The Sammys have good pictures too but if it were my money it's going to be Panasonic instead. The blacks are just a tad better, especially detail level in the darkest scenes and colors are vibrant without being over saturated. I just wish they made a 75" inch model with the same picture quality! :-)

I just bought a 60" Panny and I measured first to make sure it would fit. When it finally arrived and I had it all set up, I had plenty of room for a 65" set. Been kicking myself ever since. I could even fit a 75" model in the space.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Bought a low end 720p Sammy 46" DLP in 2005. During the first year it had blown 2 bulbs and quit working entirely. Took it back to CC where I bought it. They fixed it and within a couple of weeks it had blown another bulb. Took it back to them and they sent it off somewhere else. (they had a local TV shop doing most of their repairs) Took about 3 weeks.

Since it came back in mid 2006 it has not batted an eye. Same bulb is still going strong. So not sure what this other shop did but they fixed it. A little too good if you ask me as I am ready to replace it. :)

It will last forever now that you want to replace it. I have five 720p plasmas and I'd like to replace a couple of them but they'll last the rest of my life. Sometimes life just isn't fair.... :lol:

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

. . . .

Drucifer, waddya get and what's your problem(s)?

Bad capacitors. And Samsung refusal to fix 'em even tho it been pointed out they were too small for the design.

Luckily I have an extended warranty with Best Buy.

Many thousand have not fair as well as me.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#36 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

Bad capacitors. And Samsung refusal to fix 'em even tho it been pointed out they were too small for the design.

Luckily I have an extended warranty with Best Buy.

Many thousand have not fair as well as me.

I completely understand Extended Warranties (Circuit City). I have one each on my Samsung DLP and 52" LCD. Both going strong. The DLP is going on 7000 hours on the lamp and 0 problems with the DLP & LCD mechanically. I'm afraid they'll last unit the warranties run out in 2013 and then develop issues. But that won't be a big deal. I have gotten more than my monies worth out of both.

Personally, I would never buy from BestBuy.

#37 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

I got hit with a restocking fee at Circuit City for a item that never left their store. Their store manager didn't want to hear about changing it for another product. So I paid it. And like any smart shopper, I changed stores. Best Buy was just across Rte 9.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#38 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Samsung actually makes very good TVs. BUT...

Several years ago (2006-7), there was an industry-wide shortage of capacitors, right about the time that sales of HDTVs had exploded due to price points dropping into the range of mass affordability. So, Samsung AND MOST OTHER MANUFACTURERS ended up substituting the unavailable 16V capacitors with 12V capacitors (on a 12V power supply board). Essentially, this made the power supplies into ticking time bombs, and as anyone could have predicted, there were LOTS of failures.

People who bought store-brand TVs mostly ended up just throwing them out and replacing them, while folks who bought name-brand TVs mostly had them repaired. In many cases, if the TV was more than 2 years old (i.e., more than a year out of warranty), the manufacturer wouldn't fix it, though. But because the problem is so widespread, LOTS of electronics techs started fixing these TVs, and there are dozens of YouTube videos showing you exactly how to fix your own. In most cases, you just need to order 2 or 4 of the proper capacitors (<$30) and spend less than 10 minutes with a soldering iron to replace them and make your TV good as new.

I'm not defending Samsung (or LG, or Sony, or Funai [most store brands like Dynex, Insignia, Sylvania, Emerson, etc.], or any of the other manufacturers who used incorrect capacitors when the correct ones weren't available), but that kind of practice is widespread in the consumer electronics industry. If you thought that the manufacturers would sit around and idle whole factories and miss out on the sale of hundreds of thousands of TV sets because some capacitors weren't available, and while all your competitors kept going, then you simply don't understand business.

I will also point out that every manufacturer of DLP TVs has had significant problems with their sets. Sony went as far as to replace 3-to-5-year-old DLPs with LCDs of equal value (based on the original DLP purchase price vs. the current, much lower LCD prices), making it a big win for the folks who had to suffer through those DLP issues.

Today, there are only 5 (consumer) TV brands that I would recommend:

- Sony
- Samsung
- Sharp
- Panasonic
- LG

Other common brands are clearly second-tier:

- Vizio
- Funai-made house brands (Dynex/Insignia/Sylvania/Emerson/Symphonic)
- Mitsubishi (I really debated putting this in the third tier)

Or third tier:

- Poleriod
- Westinghouse
- Kodak
- All other "we licensed an old American CE company name from a dying company to put on our generic TVs" brands
- Chinese brands you've never heard of

Not only are the 1st Tier companies the only sources for the highest-quality components and the best/new technologies, but they also all have REAL support networks and supplies of parts to fix your stuff. 2nd and 3rd tier manufacturers are mostly done once your TV is out of warranty, as they generally don't have any significant inventory for repairs once their warranty obligations are complete (and with some brands, not even that long).

IMO, consider any 2nd or 3rd-tier TVs to be disposable if they break.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#39 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

I will also point out that every manufacturer of DLP TVs has had significant problems with their sets. Sony went as far as to replace 3-to-5-year-old DLPs with LCDs of equal value (based on the original DLP purchase price vs. the current, much lower LCD prices), making it a big win for the folks who had to suffer through those DLP issues.

Sony was using their SXRD LCoS technology, not DLP. They had issues with the optical block. Mine is still working fine. :)

#40 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Samsung actually makes very good TVs. BUT...

Several years ago (2006-7), there was an industry-wide shortage of capacitors, right about the time that sales of HDTVs had exploded due to price points dropping into the range of mass affordability. So, Samsung AND MOST OTHER MANUFACTURERS ended up substituting the unavailable 16V capacitors with 12V capacitors (on a 12V power supply board). . . .

Excuse they had. The coverup and denial is what I don't like. It took the realization that they would lose all of the several class action suit in order for 'em to only sometimes admit their mistake. A call now to Samsung is still about a 50/50 change of getting a denial by them. And in countries with poor consumer laws, Samsung still maintains their sets don't have any defective equipment and will not fix any set.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

spam firewall