Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung TV quality?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

You might consider a Panasonic plasma.

Yeah now that they've addressed the worsening of black levels as the sets age.
http://news.cnet.com...-longer-worsen/

And that's it in a nutshell: no company is bullet-proof. If you dig deep enough you'll find issues with any company.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,650 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

And that's it in a nutshell: no company is bullet-proof. If you dig deep enough you'll find issues with any company.

In many cases, not even half deep! :mad: It is a problem getting to the heart of the matter. There are too many high-pitched voices, too many angry folks, too many on a mission to make a lot of sense out of some of the forums. One of the endearing things about DBSTalk is without half trying, you get to know who's a straight shooter and who isn't. The personal experience of someone I respect here is worth a hundred strangers saying the same thing.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#63 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Absolutely agree.

You have decide what you can and cannot [ possibly] live with, should a fault arise. In my case is was the buzz issue, and power supply. I was already familiar with the seven blinks of death with a Sony that I had, and it was a known issue due to faulty capacitors. [ Also found this info out on the forums, so I stand by what I said] I chose to move on, and I'm happy that I did. My 2011 plasma- well, so far so good.

cheers

#64 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Deleted----Duplicate post

Edited by Rockaway1836, 02 February 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung quality, such as how long it lasts, etc? It just get's so repetitive so stand at Best Buy and look at TV after TV, they all look the same..but something about the Samsung Smart TVs, the color/picture quality was amazing! They just look so good.

However, at a different forum there seems to be a number of people saying there 3 or 4 yr old Samsung died or had problems..which is making me re-consider. What is the oldest LCD TV anyone has that has actually lasted beyong 5 yrs?

Thanks

At this point in time I have 12 LCD and LED-LCDs in my house. I have also bought 3 others that I have given to my daughter, and 2 others that I have sold off, and another one that took a nasty fall and died an un-natural death

The oldest one is about 7 years old and was made by Westinghouse. I have another Wesinghouse that I keep outside on my screened in porch 24-7, 12 months a year. That one has been out there for over 4 years. No problem at all with the 7 year old set. The one that's outside tends to run hot. So I keep a fan behind it and it plays perfectly.

I own sets from Westinghouse (4), Sharp (3), Sony(1), LG(1), Samsung(1), and Vizio(2). I have been happy with every one of them. Of all of them the Samsung has by far the most pop. However it also has the most problems when watching in a dark room. The black levels are pretty piss poor when it comes to being even across the screen. There are parts of the screen that look just plain blotchy. Watching in a bright room, it can take you breath away, because it's so damn good.

#66 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Rockaway:

Have you seen the 2011 Sony Bravia? What's your take on that set?

I thought the picture was stunning, it was the price that made me keep on walking.

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Rockaway:

I thought the picture was stunning, it was the price that made me keep on walking.

I looked at them. Much as I like the PQ (and most everything about the sets), I've had so much trouble with Sony TVs that I'm kinda leery of anything they sell. And the prices are a "bit" high. The set I was looking at would have been almost $3,000 after taxes. I've got enough TVs that I paid too much for.

Rich

#68 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Rockaway:

I have only seen the 929 in stores. It was a 55 inch and outside of the crease it looked very good. I think I read that they have since solved the crease issue. My buddy has a 909 from 2010 that I like very much.

Last year I wasn't so much looking for myself, as just looking. As I had already chosen to go big. First with the 70 inch Sharp back in April, and then later with the 80 inch.

Edited by Rockaway1836, 05 February 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#69 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Today, there are only 5 (consumer) TV brands that I would recommend:

- Sony
- Samsung
- Sharp
- Panasonic
- LG

Other common brands are clearly second-tier:

- Vizio
- Funai-made house brands (Dynex/Insignia/Sylvania/Emerson/Symphonic)
- Mitsubishi (I really debated putting this in the third tier)

Or third tier:

- Poleriod
- Westinghouse
- Kodak
- All other "we licensed an old American CE company name from a dying company to put on our generic TVs" brands
- Chinese brands you've never heard of

What do you think of Toshiba? I have not seem them mentioned in this thread.

#70 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

We've had a Samsung UN55C6500 for about 15 months. Very happy with the picture, performance and features.

#71 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

What do you think of Toshiba? I have not seem them mentioned in this thread.

Not much.

Rich

#72 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I love the 32" Toshiba in my bedroom.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#73 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

I looked at them. Much as I like the PQ (and most everything about the sets), I've had so much trouble with Sony TVs that I'm kinda leery of anything they sell. And the prices are a "bit" high. The set I was looking at would have been almost $3,000 after taxes. I've got enough TVs that I paid too much for.

Rich

As a former sony owner, I second that motion, and 3K is out of my ballpark. The bravia I was looking at was either 42 or 46" and it was stunning, but considerably more $ than the 50"panny I bought.[ viera line, got a sweet deal] I have to say, now that the panel is breaking in the picture is every bit as good, even better when the source is broadcasting true HD quality.

To the original poster:

Really, good luck with whatever you pick, my only advise is make sure you have a big enough return window, with no re-stocking fee.

#74 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to let everyone know I did end up getting a Samsung 55" Smart TV. Best picture quality of any of the TVs I've seen. Extremely happy with PQ (which is the main thing I'm concernced about), and haven't had any problems since I got it almost a year ago now.

Also got a Philips 42" on sale for $399, happy with it, PQ isn't as good but that was to be expected. Only problem I have with it is the Audio/Sound is kind of wacky. Can't really hear it to good on any setting, and if you try to use that setting (forgot what it's called) to make the ads and such the same volume level-it will just get really loud for a second like the speakers are going to pop and go back down.

#75 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Three things to remember
1. Do not not place any TV right above the fireplace. Give it at least 5 ft.
2. Watch the contrast. They set the contrast at 100% to look good in the retail store.
3. Dust the top back (where the air holes are) and clean the screen once a month. Never, never, never spray any cleaner on the screen. Get a good cleaning kit at your local Electrontic store.

I have a Philips three years old and it looks as good as when I set it up.

#76 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Three things to remember
1. Do not not place any TV right above the fireplace. Give it at least 5 ft.
2. Watch the contrast. They set the contrast at 100% to look good in the retail store.
3. Dust the top back (where the air holes are) and clean the screen once a month. Never, never, never spray any cleaner on the screen. Get a good cleaning kit at your local Electrontic store.

I have a Philips three years old and it looks as good as when I set it up.

Yeah I was supprised the manual for my pany plasma said a clean [ I use microfiber] dry cloth to just "Dust" the screen. If you absolutely have to go beyond that, super-dilute dish soap [ like 1/50 ratio] wring the cloth dry and wipe. Since these don't attract the dirt like the old crt's, I've not found the need to go beyond a gentle dusting.

always good to hear a post back after a purchase.
Hope your samy stays healthy!

#77 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I've often used a very diluted mix of water and vinegar; it works very well, leaves no residue, etc.

#78 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

I've often used a very diluted mix of water and vinegar; it works very well, leaves no residue, etc.

White Vinegar if you have to. And NEVER use anything other than pure distilled water if at all possible. My screens have ever only been dusted lightly with a very soft feather duster. And are clean and clear.

#79 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

White Vinegar if you have to. And NEVER use anything other than pure distilled water if at all possible. My screens have ever only been dusted lightly with a very soft feather duster. And are clean and clear.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear.

Yes, I agree on both counts; I'm an IT professional and you're exactly right - I keep a bottle of both for just that reason.

I've got a 4 year old, therefore my screen is almost never clean and clear. LOL

#80 OFFLINE   KJINTF

KJINTF

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Samsung

Like all other manufacturers each has it's own unique set of issues

Samsung's from my experience include only a few;
1 - Defective caps (they were/are involved a class action law suit due to the use of poor quality caps) My opinion poor quality components in general trying to cut costs I believe

2 - Heat related issues due to the fact they skimp on the use of heat sink compound - found several Inverter drive circuits die because of excessive heat on the FET's
Electronic Wizard
Reviving almost anything electronic

Protected By... spam firewall...And...