Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung TV quality?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Samsung

Like all other manufacturers each has it's own unique set of issues

Samsung's from my experience include only a few;
1 - Defective caps (they were/are involved a class action law suit due to the use of poor quality caps) My opinion poor quality components in general trying to cut costs I believe

2 - Heat related issues due to the fact they skimp on the use of heat sink compound - found several Inverter drive circuits die because of excessive heat on the FET's

Had to replace caps on the power board on my 46" Samsung LCD. Later got the class action suit notice and billed myself from my IT company for the work. Got paid for my time. Between me and my kids, have 2 Samsung phones and 2 tablets. They all have their issues. You get what you pay for.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   William1

William1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I have three Samsung TVs. One, a 46 LCD from about 2005, works great, amazing picture EXCEPT for the stuttering image on action intensive scenes. Next is a LED 55" from 2010. It has had the infamous 'connector bonding issue' where the ribbon cable unbonds. This is the connection between the panel and a small screen width circuit board. Samsung would only offer a partial 'rebate' on a new TV if I first shipped my old one to Chicago at my expense, properly packed of course. I did the foam padding 'repair'. I have to wait an hour on cold start for the TV to get hot and the connections to come back. This TV was six months out of warranty...
The other TV is a 36 LCD purchased in 2011. No issues with it, yet....

No more Samsung anything in my home. The 55" is a design/manufacturing defect and the lack of backbone by Samsung lost them a customer (and recommendation from a person many other people look to). This attitude eventually will bite them in the butt. Just look at what happened to HP and Dell when they blew off customers after the sale.
"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

#83 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,173 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I have four Sammies and couldn't be happier. I was strictly Sony until a few years ago. I went plasma with the 58" and it rocks; LCD or LED for smaller units.

YMMV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#84 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Since the cart went ahead of the horse here a bit...

It all depends on the model and line you are interested in. As with most Mfgr's, the better spec'd sets are usually much more molah. I currently have 8 HD sets in my house, 2 are Sammy's, 3 Sony's, 2 Sharps. The latest is a UN65ES8000 (8000 series) and the picture is just incredible (to me) as I am a fan of true blacks and pure but not overpowering colors. Sharpness is right up there with the best of them as well. My 55" Sammy is still good but not quite all what the 65" is being the 55 has now been out well over a year now. Yes, time is technology.

My main living room set is a Mitsubishi Laser 75" which has wow factor. Granted the Sammy 65 is smaller but boy does it stop company in their tracks to look at it (plus it drops out of the ceiling so that maybe some of the wow factor on this set too i guess. (gotta be fair). Oh man, the pic is superb and even the audio quality is pretty good (not that you will probably wanna use it). The hand "waive" remote function is kinda weird and I won't comment on that here (yes, it's "almost" bs-crap but somebody probably does actually like it ;) cough, cough. Picture makes up for it, forgotten see ya.

The new Sammy 75 is a 9000 series (only model to date I know of in the 9K series) and that for a big set kicks royal hiney as well. I don't own this set (yet) but have played with it extensively at BB. The price tag may shy most away but I don't think Sammy made this set for the frugal folks... lol!

So high(er) end, late model LED Samsungs... ya got my vote!
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#85 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I did see a Sony next to a Sammy in a private room at CES a few weeks ago, and the Sony was outshining the Sammy. My heart soared: "Sony is back!!" But based on a sample of one, different broadcasts, sets not necessarily tuned, not even contrast nor saturation, that's only a hope. The Sammy was older than the brand new Sony also.

Anyone have a good take on where the two titans stack up side by side in medium to high end sets? (ca. 60" sets.)

#86 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I did see a Sony next to a Sammy in a private room at CES a few weeks ago, and the Sony was outshining the Sammy. My heart soared: "Sony is back!!" But based on a sample of one, different broadcasts, sets not necessarily tuned, not even contrast nor saturation, that's only a hope. The Sammy was older than the brand new Sony also.

Anyone have a good take on where the two titans stack up side by side in medium to high end sets? (ca. 60" sets.)

I almost bought a (the following relies on my memory and might be a bit off, as is my memory) 60" Sony LCD-LED backlit model last year. Would have cost ~ $3,000 and was a Costco model, didn't have all the bells and whistles the (almost) same model in other stores had. From what I could see, it seemed more like a plasma (in viewing angles) and had a superb picture. Never had a chance to see a Panny plasma and the correct model of that Sony side by side in a dark room, but it certainly looked good in the local Costco, which is brightly lit. I did call Sony about that Sony and was told by several Sony CSRs that they couldn't comment on that model since it was made for "big box stores". Finally got a Sony CSR that told me the truth. In short, what he said was don't buy that, buy the proper model and get all the bells and whistles. Ended up getting another Panny plasma.

Rich

#87 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Finally got a Sony CSR that told me the truth. In short, what he said was don't buy that, buy the proper model and get all the bells and whistles. Ended up getting another Panny plasma.

Rich

I think that goes for pretty much every marque.... They are not the same sets, though they try to make 'em look like the real McCoy. Just a letter or a number or two is the faint tipoff.

#88 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I almost bought a (the following relies on my memory and might be a bit off, as is my memory) 60" Sony LCD-LED backlit model last year. Would have cost ~ $3,000 and was a Costco model, didn't have all the bells and whistles the (almost) same model in other stores had. From what I could see, it seemed more like a plasma (in viewing angles) and had a superb picture. Never had a chance to see a Panny plasma and the correct model of that Sony side by side in a dark room, but it certainly looked good in the local Costco, which is brightly lit. I did call Sony about that Sony and was told by several Sony CSRs that they couldn't comment on that model since it was made for "big box stores". Finally got a Sony CSR that told me the truth. In short, what he said was don't buy that, buy the proper model and get all the bells and whistles. Ended up getting another Panny plasma.

Rich

I am sorry, I got lost somewhere. Are you saying the the models at Costco and Sams and other big box type stores are not the exact same models that you would normally get? If that is so, that changes my entire buying philosophy. This would explain why they can sell them so cheap.

#89 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I am sorry, I got lost somewhere. Are you saying the the models at Costco and Sams and other big box type stores are not the exact same models that you would normally get? If that is so, that changes my entire buying philosophy. This would explain why they can sell them so cheap.

They are the same.
DTV = Digital Television

#90 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

This has been a topic for years. You'll noticed that sometimes the models look alike but the model numbers are nothing like the manufacturers. Why the different model numbers. It's a covert form of rebranding. They take a lesser or "different" model and put it out under their, BestBuy (there were news articles on them doing this a couple years ago), model number and tout it as better than what you see as the real model number. Because the only way you can do any comparison is to go by what they say, not able do a direct model investigation. Just last Sunday I was looking at a Target ad that had TV's and none of the model numbers were the manufacturers. All custom to Target. Manufacturers will make "special" models for large retailers.

#91 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Have you purchased your TV yet? If not, I'd strongly recommend the Panasonic 65VT50, rated by CNet and others as the best 3D HDTV out there, bar none. It's being heavily discounted, too, for around $2500.00.

I purchased one in November and must say that after I got it professionally calibrated, the PQ on it is simply stunning.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#92 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I believe one of the reasons for unique model numbers in stores is for price matching. Walmart only price matches exact model numbers.

#93 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I believe one of the reasons for unique model numbers in stores is for price matching. Walmart only price matches exact model numbers.

Absolutely correct.

For Costco comparison to say Best Buy, go into Costco and look at the rear label. Get the TV model number on the label, not the boxed label.
Then you can usually go to the manufacturers website and pull down manuals and see if every page is identical.

#94 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

That too. Forgot that part. Had a friend that worked at BestBuy Magnolia that told me that.

#95 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yup.

The other is to identify where it came from, and no they are not the same. If you do the homework, sam's for example, sells dumbed down versions [ plasmas] like [No] black filters, # of inputs,[ usually 2 HDMI] and less setting adjustments [Panasonic]. No 3D or eathernet if that's important. If all the bells and whistles like these are not critical, it is a bargain. The warranty is the same. Just be sure you know what you are buying.:) Some people were quite happy, while others were disappointed.

#96 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

The other is to identify where it came from, and no they are not ALWAYS the same.

fixed it for you. Many electronics are exactly the same as their counterparts, although they might include extras (i.e. HDMI cord)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#97 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

O.K.

"Not Always" is acceptable:lol:

I just wouldn't buy a Panny "U50" and expect it to be as good as my ST30.

That would be foolish.

#98 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Have you purchased your TV yet? If not, I'd strongly recommend the Panasonic 65VT50, rated by CNet and others as the best 3D HDTV out there, bar none. It's being heavily discounted, too, for around $2500.00.

I purchased one in November and must say that after I got it professionally calibrated, the PQ on it is simply stunning.

I have been looking at the 65GT50. I read on another thread how that was voted best value. The 65VT50 can only be better though.

#99 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

It is. Deeper blacks, better PQ, better Internet capabilities.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#100 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I was just looking at the Panasonic website and the ST60s are out. I can assume that the GT60s and VT60s are soon to follow.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...