Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chuck Versus the Goodbye

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

I can't believe it but tonight will be the final two episodes of Chuck and the co-producers have promised a big finish (they say they went way over budget too).

I'm really sad to see this show end but at the same time I feel pretty lucky we ended up with 5 seasons when it almost never got off the ground thanks to the writers strike in the first season. For the life of me though I've never understood why this show didn't do better in the ratings. If the target demographic is 18-30 y/o males it has: incredibly beautiful women (several of which are often scantily clad), video game references, guns, explosions, tons of nerd-cred and it's set in an electronics store - how in the world does that not appeal to that age group??

Regardless, five years is probably about the longest a show like this can honestly run without being repetitive or feeling contrived but man am I going to miss it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

This show was so good at reinventing itself, I think it actually could have gone on.

Great acting, great writing, great chemistry and lots of heart. I'm going to miss this show...

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

I must avoid all of these threads going forward.

We made a decision to record this entire season... and watch it one long sunday Chuck Binge session... Sadly it was supposed to be this Sunday, but can't do it and have to wait at least two weeks.

even without seeing this season... Chuck is a GREAT example of a good show, on a bad network that didn't want to give it a chance... but enough social pressure from fans, allowed it to continue.

It is an example that a quality product, can overcome the stupidity of executives on a TV network... if enough people believe int he show, and let that be known.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, NBC didn't do the show any favors. The show was so great that, to be honest, I didn't even mind the product placement with Subway in Chuck.... If it wasn't for Subway, Chuck would have been a goner!

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, NBC didn't do the show any favors. The show was so great that, to be honest, I didn't even mind the product placement with Subway in Chuck.... If it wasn't for Subway, Chuck would have been a goner!

But they did their product placement well.... really didn't stick out that much. Still didn't get me to go to Subway, except for when they had the Save Chuck promotion.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Not only did I not mind the product placement, I loved it. I thought it added to the show and was hilarious!

I'm going to miss Chuck for sure.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Not only did I not mind the product placement, I loved it. I thought it added to the show and was hilarious!

I'm going to miss Chuck for sure.

It was great, they took something that saved them and integrated into the show in a funny way. The scene in Season 3 when Casey has to make peace with Jeff and Lester (after smacking their heads together) and they "break bread" at Subway is a prime example, I was cracking up!

I haven't loved a TV show as much as "Chuck!" since.... okay, I don't think I've ever loved one this much. Northern Exposure was a favorite of mine but they let it really drop off when Joel left to live like a hermit (he left the show). At least Chuck will get to go out with a bang!

I may even watch the 2 hour finale live tonight as opposed to DVRing it, which I do to all non-sports programs to just skip the commercials, so I can share the experience with other Chucksters on Twitter / Facebook / Live Blogs. :group:

If you really like the show and haven't already read it, Alan Sepinwall has a great five part (one for each season) interview with Schwartz and Fedak on his blog. WARNING - there are some spoilers about season 5 up to the finale so if you're not caught up you will want to wait to read these:

http://www.hitfix.co...s-alan-watching

#8 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

I won't have a chance to watch the last two episodes until tomorrow. Gonna be tough to avoid spoilers without staying completely offline.

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

I gave up on it when everyone and anyone became an Intersect.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Very sad ... end of a great show.

Just watched the final two episodes, won't spoil it for anyone here, but I certainly smiled many times throughout.

Man, TV needs more shows like this, I really am going to miss it, it was a fun ride.

Jeffster!
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

Here's a great article at CNN where some of the cast celebrate their fans - it's safe to read if you haven't seen the finale yet: http://geekout.blogs...huck/?hpt=hp_c2

And here's a post-mortem interview at TV-Line, with some info about "why" and "how" things ended up as they did, so don't read it until you've seen the finale: http://www.tvline.co...s-recap-review/

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'll watch the end of the show tonight but this season made it apparent to me that it was over. I really enjoyed the show but the last 2 seasons were almost as if they were lost and couldn't pick a direction.

It's sad because I hoped they could get something going to stay on track. At least it ended while it was still decent as I think another year and it would have been bad.

#13 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

I was very satisfied with the ending, especially since it allowed me to write the actual ending in my head, and have my own outcome. For those who watched already, you'll know what I mean. For those who haven't... you soon will.

#14 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

I think it was an excellent way to end the series.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#15 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Decent finale, no real surprises. A little wet eyes at the end.

Nothing to prevent the team from getting together again somewhere down the road.

#16 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

I gave up on it when everyone and anyone became an Intersect.

My wife got really upset at the beginning of this season when Morgan was the intersect and I was a little bothered by all the "other" intersects last season for a little while. But then I saw what the writers were telling us - it doesn't work properly in anyone else because Chuck is special, not just any Nerd (or even spy) could have the intersect implanted and become a hero like he did.

I had mixed feelings about the finale, at first I was pretty unhappy with the ending but the more I thought about it the more I'm good with it. I think when I watch it again it will grow on me even more. Definitely looking forward to the extended version on Blu-ray!

#17 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'll watch the end of the show tonight but this season made it apparent to me that it was over. I really enjoyed the show but the last 2 seasons were almost as if they were lost and couldn't pick a direction.

It's sad because I hoped they could get something going to stay on track. At least it ended while it was still decent as I think another year and it would have been bad.

I felt the same for a while but the last 2/3rds or more of this season really had some of the original Chuck feel to it. No matter what happened over its five year run I still think it was one of the most unique and thoroughly entertaining shows (comedy / drama / sci-tech) ever on TV. I'm gonna miss it terribly!

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

I thought the finale was a fine episode... but less so as the series finale.

It always bugs me that every time they feature the Intersect computer, it is always the "only" and "last one ever"...

so the drama of "oh no, we only have one left" doesn't work for me anymore... because the darn thing keeps getting rebuilt by someone eventually!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

I finally got around to watching it last night. I loved the ending. For some reason it got really dusty in my house towards the ending and my allergies kicked in, yeah that's it...

I'll definitely miss this show.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yes, a great ending to the show. Bravo and who let the cat in the house!
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

spam firewall