Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM16 Box

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

My install is going to require a SWM16, and I'm wondering if there's any sort of box or something I can put it, and the splitters in, outside to protect them from the elements. That is one thing Time Warner does that I like.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

I may get scolded but I have my SWM 16 exposed to the elements.... Obviously I have all those rubber washer thingies around all the connections and it's kind of under the awning of my house. But it's been that way now for almost 2 years. No problems yet.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Definitely Not Recommended for sure. You don't want moisture getting inside.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

When properly installed, with the cables slanted away from the fittings, weather boots, and the proper fittings installed and torqued properly, the SWM splitters, SWM16 and the SWM8 module are designed to be placed outside.

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

When properly installed, with the cables slanted away from the fittings, weather boots, and the proper fittings installed and torqued properly, the SWM splitters, SWM16 and the SWM8 module are designed to be placed outside.

I know, but I'd still prefer it, and all connections, inside of something (Unless there's the possibility it could overheat).

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

If it's installed properly you'll be fine with it outside and not in an enclosure. Most of the time it will be mounted about a foot under the eave which is enough protection from the elements. You could definitaly find an enclosure that would work for it but it's overkill.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

If it's installed properly you'll be fine with it outside and not in an enclosure. Most of the time it will be mounted about a foot under the eave which is enough protection from the elements. You could definitaly find an enclosure that would work for it but it's overkill.

Actually, the dish won't be installed on the roof, probably be a pole mount, so the SWM will be much closer to the ground.

#8 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I know, but I'd still prefer it, and all connections, inside of something (Unless there's the possibility it could overheat).

Current policies and procedures mandate a specific size drip loop, and service loops in the cable.

Those loops do not fit inside any normally available cable box.

Placing the mentioned devices inside a cable box is an immediate QC fail and can cost the installer at the minimum an un-paid trip back out to your house to re-do it properly, or at most, the pay for the entire job, and a visit to fix it for free.

#9 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 481 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

The other thing that I don't think I saw mentioned here, is that the SWM16 box tends to run pretty hot, to the point where I don't think that cooping it up in a box would be a very good idea.

It is made to survive outdoors, just shield it from direct rain or water drip.

Keith

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Actually, the dish won't be installed on the roof, probably be a pole mount, so the SWM will be much closer to the ground.

So mount it on the side of the house and put a gutter above it.

#11 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

So mount it on the side of the house and put a gutter above it.

hopefully u joking.....

#12 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

If you put it in the box, depneding on the outside ambient, it definitely could overheat. In the summer time, i can't touch mine without severe discomfort or even getting burned.

#13 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

I have a SWM16 on the outside of the house, I also was gonna put an enclosure around it but never did. Haven't had one problem with it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...