Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

viglink

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

I can understand getting as much revenue as possible from the site. However when that product starts to interfere with use it should be looked at. Lately it seems that when posting links to sites the api.viglink tracker messes up the URL. This is becoming more and more common. It's making the site less useful to those looking for help and more frustrating for those of us attempting to help.

For the record the the link that caused me to post this was in fact a joke however there have been a few links I've posted lately that get broken and were meant to help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

See this post from an earlier thread re Viglink: http://www.dbstalk.c...09&postcount=12
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

There's another way to get rid of Viglink. You can opt out.

http://www.viglink.com/support/optout

I don't know how this affects the income from Viglink that goes to DBSTalk. Maybe one of the administrators can comment.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,908 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

There's another way to get rid of Viglink. You can opt out.

http://www.viglink.com/support/optout

I don't know how this affects the income from Viglink that goes to DBSTalk. Maybe one of the administrators can comment.

David's post linked in makaiguy's post above speaks to that:

Hey Guys...

We are using Viglinks on the site in order to maybe drive some a little more revenue. Been using on AVSForum for some time with very good success and some nice deals found.

In any case, I did not forgot about the fact that some people do not like it, so if you go into the USERCP and click on "Edit Your Details", at the bottom of that page you will see two new options that can control this setting. The first one if to shut them off for you seeing them and the second is to omit your posts from being word linked. While the first one is no biggie, kind of think about the second one as it does help to support the site being able to word link.

Thanks all.

#5 OFFLINE   TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Just double checking, but does allowing ads help support DBSTalk? Here is what it lists when I go to "Edit Your Details" in the UserCP:

"No - Do not turn off the ads and continue to help support AVS Forum in this simple way."

#6 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,114 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Yes, it's one way that does help, along with being a club member, using the ads to buy things from advertising merchants etc.

Dbstalk is affiliated with AVSForum which is probably why you saw that.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:12 AM

I didn't want to turn them off completely but if that's the solution rather than having them not break links that are posted so be it.

#8 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,118 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Just double checking, but does allowing ads help support DBSTalk? Here is what it lists when I go to "Edit Your Details" in the UserCP:

"No - Do not turn off the ads and continue to help support AVS Forum in this simple way."

OPPS!!! My Bad! That was because the plugin that I had made was first made and tested on AVSForum. After that I installed it on DBSTalk and, well, missed that.

I have fixed it, thanks!

In regards to the ads...Yes, without them, DBSTalk could not operate as it does cost to run a site. So we do what we can and in the case of Viglink, I wanted to be sure people could turn it off if they wanted.

In regards to the issue, can you please point out and example and I will get it over the the Viglink team.

Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

The one thing I don't like about the ads at the top of the screen is that when you click on one of the links, it doesn't open the site in a new tab/window. It takes you out of dbstalk altogether.

When you click on a highlighted word in a post VigLink does seem to open a new tab, which is better. Although the it seems to take a really long time for the new tab to actually load...

The ad banners at the bottom of the page seem to spawn new tabs, too.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

OPPS!!! My Bad! That was because the plugin that I had made was first made and tested on AVSForum. After that I installed it on DBSTalk and, well, missed that.

I have fixed it, thanks!

In regards to the ads...Yes, without them, DBSTalk could not operate as it does cost to run a site. So we do what we can and in the case of Viglink, I wanted to be sure people could turn it off if they wanted.

In regards to the issue, can you please point out and example and I will get it over the the Viglink team.

Thanks.

I have posted a few links lately and due to the vigilink it won't allow it to link to the site correctly. It's mainly been a problem when linking to retailers sites such as monoprice or best buy. I even had the problem linking to turbotax.com once. I thought it was a bad copy paste at first but this is too common. For instance:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+6'+HDMI+Cable/2648583.p?id=1218342637879&skuId=2648583

wwwdotbestbuydotcom/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+6'+HDMI+Cable/2648583.p?id=1218342637879&skuId=2648583

So even with them off completely it still breaks them. It doesn't inspire me much to help support them as an advertiser. So I'd ask that you get it fixed because ultimately it impacts this site.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

You can check posts 10 and 11 in this thread as well to see the problem.

http://www.dbstalk.c...309#post2955309

#12 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

test

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes, it's one way that does help, along with being a club member, using the ads to buy things from advertising merchants etc.

Off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask... is there any way on this site to be able to tell when your club membership runs out besides checking financial statements? I know mine will run out during the first half of this year, but I don't remember when.

~Alan

#14 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask... is there any way on this site to be able to tell when your club membership runs out besides checking financial statements? I know mine will run out during the first half of this year, but I don't remember when.

~Alan

It should be in User CP--Paid Subscriptions.

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

It should be in User CP--Paid Subscriptions.

DOH!! :lol:

I knew that...

It expires in April. :(

Thanks!
~Alan

#16 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

In regards to the Club...It will also remind you before it does.

In regards to the Viglink issue...Should now be resolved...thanks for reporting it!

#17 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,637 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

In regards to the Viglink issue...Should now be resolved...thanks for reporting it!

Looks good, David, and thanks for the fix.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

In regards to the Club...It will also remind you before it does.

Thank you for the fix I'll re-enable it in my cp now.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

Today the viglink interception goes totally wild. Actually it's very useless - it blocking any URL from posts making a page like this:

<Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>E73E3A00EC81FD71</RequestId><HostId>USGHxeguqHMHnJn5LiutH9GrmyCwYOa8pbYyHRHxZM7gcRGbVG8nxXJmHNsO9hp7</HostId></Error>

I did opt-out for both check boxes and still gettin this sh^%$^.

#20 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,637 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Test of URL. What ho!?

This space intentionally left blank, except for these words.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...