Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moved box from one tv to another - get 771 error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dkatz

dkatz

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm not sure if this or the HD Receiver thread is the right one, so I'm posting in both. I have a H20 hooked up to a TV in my basement and a D11 hooked up to an HDTV in my bedroom. Since I rarely use the basement set I decided to move the box upstairs. I brought it up, hooked it up, reset it,and it went through the downloading of satellite info, etc., but got a 771 error. I checked the signals and got all 90+, but still no luck. I then remembered that I had forgotten to bring up the B band converter, so I got it, hooked it up, reset the box, but got the same response. I called customer service and we went through resetting, unplugging, checking the signal, etc., but no luck. I then figured that the only other thing different was the cable between the wall and the box, so I went downstairs, got the one I used there, hooked it up, reset it, but same thing. All of the other TVs work, and on this one I got the banner on each channel and the guide, but no picture and the continuous 771 message. I also didn't connect the box to a phone line when I brought it upstairs, but I can't imagine that would make a difference. I don't know if this matters, but I have a Slimline 3 dish and a HD-DVR (HR22, I think) in another room. Also, I have a Zinwell wb68 multi-switcher. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

Try moving the D11 back up there and see if it works. Also, does the D11 work in the basement?
If you don't use the H20 very often, and you didn't see it working recently before moving it upstairs, I'm betting that it might be toast.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   dkatz

dkatz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Try moving the D11 back up there and see if it works. Also, does the D11 work in the basement?
If you don't use the H20 very often, and you didn't see it working recently before moving it upstairs, I'm betting that it might be toast.

I did retry the D11 upstairs and it worked fine. You could be right abotu the H20 - I haven't used it for a long time. I'll move it back down and give it a try.
Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

I did retry the D11 upstairs and it worked fine. You could be right abotu the H20 - I haven't used it for a long time. I'll move it back down and give it a try.
Thanks!

No problem. Those H20s have a habit of burning out a bit earlier than most other D* IRDs.

#5 OFFLINE   dkatz

dkatz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

I moved it downstairs and it worked fine. I think I may just give up and call service - it's a mystery to me.

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

I moved it downstairs and it worked fine. I think I may just give up and call service - it's a mystery to me.

There's always a possibility that there's a diplexer or something in-line going to the outlet upstairs that's causing a 771 on the H20, where it wouldn't with the D11.

I'm confident that with the proper diagnostic tools and enough troubleshooting experience, a service technician will get it working for you ;)
A service call is probably a good idea.

spam firewall