Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Luck" premiers tonight

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

David Milch's new creation "Luck" premiers tonight on HBO. "Luck" stars Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte, Jill Hennessy, Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, and a bunch of other top actors you'll recognize.

This drama series is a behind-the-track look at the world of horse racing and gambling's denizens - owners, trainers, jockeys and gamblers.

Milch, of course, began a successful TV career as a writer on "Hill Street Blues" which was created by Steven Bochco. Milch and Bocho were co-creators of "NYPD Blue" and Milch has writing credits for 259 of the 260 episodes. More recently Milch was the creator of "Deadwood" and the quirky "John from Cincinnati" that were on HBO.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

If you're thinking of watching this show, Deadline Hollywood reports that HBO has already ordered a second season.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#3 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

It's still sitting in the DVR, Hopefully we will have time to watch it this weekend.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

I didn't really care for it. It seems like the classic "eight characters in search of a plot" overly star-filled deal.

#5 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Maybe it's just me but it was sort of hard to follow. I watched it back in Nov or Dec when they sneak peaked it. I went ahead and rerecorded the pilot to watch again.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, I'm going to keep watching through five episodes, as I do when I really want something to work. But it is true it appears the primary story plot is only hinted at. Even the LA Times said: "Even those insiders who hail "Luck" as a masterpiece concede it takes five episodes to get going."

And of course, they just had to do the race horse thing in the first episode which upset my wife.

My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Riveting. You cannot turn away for a second or you will lose so much of the story. What a great set of actors they chose for this one. I am amazed how much I am drawn into something I never knew anything about.

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

We tried three times now to watch and finish the pilot... just can't do it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

We tried three times now to watch and finish the pilot... just can't do it.

Maybe it is my fascination with that whole society of people. I love to hit the blackjack tables, but the races have always eluded me. Now I know why. It is a different segment of people and rules.

I had to re watch the pilot twice just to get the plot. They are speaking English, but they are also using a different language.

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

I've got to say, based on "Deadwood", "John from Cincinnati", and now this show, Milch certainly has developed a dialog style I don't remember in "NYPD Blue".

I'm probably going to have to record the rest of the season and watch it later when there isn't so much on.

My wife doesn't like it much - because of the harm done to horses in the racing business. Funny, I was the one raised around horses.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I had to re watch the pilot twice just to get the plot. They are speaking English, but they are also using a different language.

Maybe it's just me but it was sort of hard to follow. I watched it back in Nov or Dec when they sneak peaked it. I went ahead and rerecorded the pilot to watch again.

The NY Times reviewer put it well: "maddeningly and needlessly opaque."

#12 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

When we saw the portrayal of an injured/dead(?) horse, we stopped watching. It was later that HBO admitted that two horses had indeed lost their lives during filming. The deaths were separated by a year...

http://blogs.bettor....-stance-a129279

We love Reality TV, but this was too much in-your-face. Oh, and we own horses.

I guess our sensitivities are of little concern to HBO.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#13 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Maybe it is my fascination with that whole society of people. I love to hit the blackjack tables, but the races have always eluded me. Now I know why. It is a different segment of people and rules.

I use to watch a reality show called Jockeys and it helped me out with the terminology but I don't think it comes on any more. I think it was on Animal Planet.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#14 OFFLINE   Rnrboy

Rnrboy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'll chime in here:

The first episode is the hardest. I would say that if you have the faintest idea that it has any potential to appeal to you, at least stick with it for three episodes.

If by then you are not at all intrigued, dump it.

I stuck around for the aforementioned episodes and am happy I did. But it's clearly not for everybody.

#15 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,181 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

If you're thinking of watching this show, Deadline Hollywood reports that HBO has already ordered a second season.

that was surprising. while i am not a fan of horse racing, i am a david milch fan. i was also curious how good or bad dustin hoffman would be on network tv.

i've watched every episode aired and i'm still having a hard time trying to like this. that entire thing with the injured horse just plain upset me. i know it happens all the time. maybe that's why i think horse racing is needless.

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

David Milch's new creation "Luck" premiers tonight on HBO. "Luck" stars Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte, Jill Hennessy, Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, and a bunch of other top actors you'll recognize.

This drama series is a behind-the-track look at the world of horse racing and gambling's denizens - owners, trainers, jockeys and gamblers.

Milch, of course, began a successful TV career as a writer on "Hill Street Blues" which was created by Steven Bochco. Milch and Bocho were co-creators of "NYPD Blue" and Milch has writing credits for 259 of the 260 episodes. More recently Milch was the creator of "Deadwood" and the quirky "John from Cincinnati" that were on HBO.

It's a great show.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

My perspective is Milch's dialog ruined those NYPD Blue Seasons and makes all his projects difficult to follow however compelling the character. It's a dialog that I've never heard anywhere in real life. It's actually very Damon Runyonesque.

#18 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'll agree with others very hard to follow in the beginning. When they did the same old horse with a broken leg bit I laughed so hard because you knew it was coming and they couldn't not do the cliche. I also vowed if they did it again in ep. 2 I was done because it was a needless crutch.

It will be interesting if the different separated story lines interact, right now I see no reason for the 4 idiot friends story line and it will be funny when the one loses his laundry bag, which I guarantee will happen and it will be well deserved.

Took me a while to remember where I saw Ian Hart's character and finally remembered it was from "Dirt" same exact mannerisms and all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...