Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

As a DirectTv CSR....

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

As a tech I have had very good interaction on the tech activation hot line. One of my observations when I come to a trouble call and the customer tells me what the CSR had them do to try to fix the problem over the phone made the matter much worse. This could be due to inexperience on the CSRs part in dealing with real life situations vs. reading off the trouble shooting tree. One example is they had the customer remove BBC converters when they really did need them. It all comes down to experience though. If a CSR rode along with a repair tech there would be a hugh take away of a new knowledge base of information.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

What aggravates me are the series of recordings ("I want to order a movie" or "I want to pay my bill") we have to put up with before we're finally connected to a CSR. Would be nice to be able to bypass the recordings and just get down to business.

You know you can hit 0 a few times in rapid succession to bypass everything right? :D thats pretty standard on most systems.

#28 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

I have overall had good experiences with DirecTV CSRs but I think the #1 issue they could use more training on is sports blackouts. Every now and then, a game will be blacked out that shouldn't be but the CSR will always stick to the standard blackout script and will refuse to admit that DirecTV made a mistake. This doesn't happen often but it's quite annoying, I think DirecTV should maybe have a separate sports hotline staffed only by CSRs who are knowledgeable about sports packages.

#29 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

I wish, besides the hearts on the accoung that there was also a brains rating. That way someone that has 5 brains on the account doesn't have to go through all the script questions, saving both you and me time.

When I call in to say that a particular channel is having a problem and that it's happening on all of my receivers and that I've checked signal readings and rebooted a receivre please just pass it onto the broadcast center to have them check.

I totally agree. With many companies, you can call and describe the problem and what steps you have taken to troubleshoot, which should let them know you are experienced enough to know what you're doing, and they will start off at step 1. I already told them I did that and much more. Oh well.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#30 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

FoodNova.

Welcome to the board. Just a single question. :)

Are calls really recorded for quality assurance? It just seems that given some of the crazy answers, and repetitive crazy answers given to customers, if someone were actually listening to the recordings, points of emphasis could be communicated to CSR's.

For example, with the launch of the HR34, many members have reported that CSR's were telling them that you have to have a certain model of Samsung TV for it to work. Now we here all know that is not true, but why are CSR's allowed to keep repeating the same misleading information? Back in college, I did some phone support work, but before every shift we had a quick meeting which would cover things like this. And if the supervisor had to repeat it every day he/she would. At some point, even the dumbest ones would finally figure it out.

In order to use the RVU feature (no additional receiver in that room) it has to be that certain model of Samsung TV. To just use the normal hookup then you can use any compatible TV available. Sorry if there was some sort of mixup...
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#31 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,131 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

In order to use the RVU feature (no additional receiver in that room) it has to be that certain model of Samsung TV. To just use the normal hookup then you can use any compatible TV available. Sorry if there was some sort of mixup...

When the HR34 was released, CSR's repeatedly told customers that you had to have a certain model TV for the HR34 to work. Most everyone here knew better, but new customers came here complaining that they couldn't get an HR34 because they did not have the correct TV.

#32 OFFLINE   scubasteve

scubasteve

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

Greetings and Welcome Foodnova

My experience with CSR's has been good. One issue is (thanks to my military career and getting old) I wear hearing aids which require the use of a speaker phone. That all by itself is a problem - most agents talk a little fast - but once I explain they do their best to work with me. Heavy accents are difficult for me to understand. I deal with this with most companies I do business with - not just "D"

My real issues are at the corporate level and it's policies - like that IVR and the repetitious recording - its a pain. I am sure you and your peers take some heat from customers on those topics.

Getting an email saying rates are going up - but they don't take the time to personalize the note and tell me how much mine is going up - they give you a link and expect you to do the research. If "D" can calculate my bill and charge me, the programmers could write a better and more personal automated email - If that ever happens I might even smile in spite of the price increase:)

Cheers

Steve

#33 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

What do CSR's do that aggravate you the most?

Start out the conversation with "I see you have been a valued customer for x years". First, they have the "x years" wrong, since Ive been a customer since the first week DirecTv was available. Second, it sounds phony. Its totally fake.

I would like to have a CSR pick up the phone and say "Hi, Im Jim/Jane from the Denver colorado call center. How can I help you today?".

First, it hammers home the fact that you are getting a US based CSR, a BIG PLUS for a lot of people in this day and age of outsourcing. Second, it doesnt sound fake and insincere.

Just my 2 cents.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,054 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Start out the conversation with "I see you have been a valued customer for x years". First, they have the "x years" wrong, since Ive been a customer since the first week DirecTv was available. Second, it sounds phony. Its totally fake.

I would like to have a CSR pick up the phone and say "Hi, Im Jim/Jane from the Denver colorado call center. How can I help you today?".

First, it hammers home the fact that you are getting a US based CSR, a BIG PLUS for a lot of people in this day and age of outsourcing. Second, it doesnt sound fake and insincere.

Just my 2 cents.

While that would be nice, unless things [policy] has changed, they can't give the city, and have to say only the state.
More often than not, my calls all get routed to Manilla [first], though one recently was to Mexico.
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

I've been a D* customer for about a year and a half and have only had to call support a couple of times. For the most part my experiences were positive.

However, since the OP asked in a somewhat general fashion, my general pet peeves are with CSRs...

1) that have not mastered the English language or do not speak concisely
2) that know less than I do
3) that refuse to acknowledge what I DO know or give me answers/solutions I have already told them I tried
4) that are condescending or do not respect me as a customer
5) that are difficult to hear or understand
6) that have no common sense
7) that refuse to transfer to a supervisor when asked

As others have pointed out, if I'm calling with a problem the last thing I want to hear are commercials trying to upsell me on services while I'm sitting in the queue. That is not a CSR problem, but it certainly escalates the tension before the CSR is even handed the call.

Personally, I prefer chatting over calling. I find it much easier and concise to respond in writing than trying to speak & listen, especially in a noisy environment. It also gives me a hard copy of the conversation for future reference. I wish DirecTV would take advantage of this more often.

Edited by ts7, 31 January 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#36 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,498 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Start out the conversation with "I see you have been a valued customer for x years".

I had to call last week twice. I didn't get that "I see you have been a loyal customer" script from either one of the two CSRs I talked to (and they would end the call with that same 'line'). I wonder if they have deleted this?

#37 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

May you arent loyal enough? :) j/k

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#38 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,114 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

In your case, it isn't "fake", but simply wrong. (And I assume you've been a valued customer- lots of extras, PPVs, pay on time, many units, few calls to CSRs except to add more fee based items......:D ) seriously, a valuable customer! But, yeah, usually the people who man the phones can't really know whether or not one is a "valued" customer....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#39 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

Im not really complaining about the wrong date, just the phoniness of the whole introduction. They might have changed some things, as VOS says he gets offshore CSRs now, and trh didnt get the phony welcome. Sure hope the former isnt a trend. I would hate to see DirecTv stoop to offshore CSRs like a lot of other companies to save their shareholders a dime.

#40 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

You know you can hit 0 a few times in rapid succession to bypass everything right? :D thats pretty standard on most systems.

Yes, then you get routed to a new customer sales agent in my center and the agent's paycheck suffers because of it. lol..
I'm not sure if this is "outside the box" but can I from sales ask you, a CSR a few questions?
1. Do they track invalid transfers that are made by agents on your end or is that something that only hits us?
2. We have alot of different information regarding "grace periods" and have made it a practice to just say one doesn't exist. If so, how long is it (i don't expect you to post here but a pm answer would suffice for this one).
3. Do they give any info to you guys about connecting a Tivo unit(not a DTV Tivo) to the system or if it is possible. I am seeing a HUGE influx of those on my team at my site and I promised I would look into it for them so they aren't telling customers the wrong information.
4. If a customer is disconnected for lack of payment, do they have any option at all to speak to someone from the automated system or does the system just route them around because we get people that will hit new customer to speak to us because they have been lost in the loop and I would like to be able to let them know the best way to navigate the menu so I don't come off as a tool "Unfortunately your in the new sales dept so I'm going to have to transfer you back into the customer service menu." I took 3 supervisor calls for that alone this week and its Tuesday for crying out loud. lol
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#41 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Sometimes, common sense has to superceed whatever script is written on a computer monitor. :)

This issue has come up several times for me, too. I don't know whether responses are dictated by a computer screen, but somehow CSRs can get stuck in a rote procedure that may make sense in most circumstances, but not quite all circumstances, but they seem incapable of going beyond the steps and procedures that have been set out for them. My impression has been that they don't have permission to vary from a strict, literal interpretation of their instructions. This can be very frustrating. My last interaction with CSRs was my attempt just a couple of weeks ago to get my broken remote control replaced, under the protection plan, and it took me an hour -- yes, really an hour -- going through pointless diagnostic procedures that couldn't possibly have shown whether my old remote was broken. It made me very angry.

And then there's the problem that CSRs can't order specific parts for you. Why not? There's no place on the screen to put in a part number. This is obviously not the CSR's fault.
Greg

#42 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

Well.......I was a land line telephone (0) operator for 8 years, so I definitely treat CSR's the way I would want to be treated......But even still, I have to admit that I have hung up a "couple" of times in the past so I could get another CSR. I don't know if it was a vibe or what but sometimes you get the feeling (even though you're being nice) that you are "bothering" them. If I get that vibe, I hang up and call back.

Good example: I received an email for three months of Cinemax for free so I called and they activated it and was told I needed to call back Jan 9th to cancel or I would start being billed once the promotion ended, so I did. Upon calling to cancel I asked the CSR if there were any promotions currently going on on any of the premium channels, so looked & said no. She sounded so bored and made me wonder if she just didn't feel like checking. I said OK, thanks.

About an hour later, I called back, asked the same question and she said Yes I have Showtime free for 2 months which fell off automatically & I didn't have to call & cancel. I said ok thanks.

#43 OFFLINE   cha0sad

cha0sad

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Just out of curiosity foodnova, whats your call type? (in case you care, I'm a CRG/ACE TSS)

Edited by cha0sad, 04 February 2012 - 01:40 AM.
typo

#44 OFFLINE   DLancer

DLancer

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm a CRG CSR so I can answer a few questions. I'm doing this in my own time and am not an official representative of Directv. The views expressed are my own and not necessarily reflective of Directv.

1. Do they track invalid transfers that are made by agents on your end or is that something that only hits us?

They're tracked but its not really a focus at all. Generally keeping transfers as a whole down is viewed as more important.

2. We have alot of different information regarding "grace periods" and have made it a practice to just say one doesn't exist. If so, how long is it (i don't expect you to post here but a pm answer would suffice for this one).

24 hours after activation of the receivers generally, certain states have an extending grace period in *very* specific circumstances. So its generally safer to say there isn't one.

3. Do they give any info to you guys about connecting a Tivo unit(not a DTV Tivo) to the system or if it is possible. I am seeing a HUGE influx of those on my team at my site and I promised I would look into it for them so they aren't telling customers the wrong information.

a normal Tivo can't be used with DTV service. Only the THR-22 can be used with DTV service.

4. If a customer is disconnected for lack of payment, do they have any option at all to speak to someone from the automated system or does the system just route them around because we get people that will hit new customer to speak to us because they have been lost in the loop and I would like to be able to let them know the best way to navigate the menu so I don't come off as a tool "Unfortunately your in the new sales dept so I'm going to have to transfer you back into the customer service menu." I took 3 supervisor calls for that alone this week and its Tuesday for crying out loud. lol

They can talk to someone, I'm not terribly sure on how to navigate out of the IVR maze, presumably if they ask the IVR that they want to reconnect as I've taken quite a few calls from disconnected people with past due balances who want to reactivate.

#45 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 992 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm a CRG CSR so I can answer a few questions. I'm doing this in my own time and am not an official representative of Directv. The views expressed are my own and not necessarily reflective of Directv.

They're tracked but its not really a focus at all. Generally keeping transfers as a whole down is viewed as more important.

24 hours after activation of the receivers generally, certain states have an extending grace period in *very* specific circumstances. So its generally safer to say there isn't one.

a normal Tivo can't be used with DTV service. Only the THR-22 can be used with DTV service.

They can talk to someone, I'm not terribly sure on how to navigate out of the IVR maze, presumably if they ask the IVR that they want to reconnect as I've taken quite a few calls from disconnected people with past due balances who want to reactivate.

A "normal Tivo" will work just fine with DTV service all you have to do it run an output from the receiver to an input on the TIVO.

#46 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

A "normal Tivo" will work just fine with DTV service all you have to do it run an output from the receiver to an input on the TIVO.

That is true but it should be noted that you would have to program both units, an autotune on the DirecTV receiver and a manual recording on the Tivo. If we are talking HD do Tivos even have analog HD inputs?
My Setup

#47 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

That is true but it should be noted that you would have to program both units, an autotune on the DirecTV receiver and a manual recording on the Tivo. If we are talking HD do Tivos even have analog HD inputs?

No you dont. I have a Series 1 Tivo hooked to my H24. The Tivo sends the channel change command via a plug in IR emitter. The H24 hooks to the Tivo using composite. The H24 is locked to 480i. Works great. Have it in the guest room.

#48 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I'm fully prepared to take a beating for what most of my colleagues do/say, just like I do every day at work anyway... but.. that's another subject. From where or what gender I am not saying for obvious reasons. I'm merely here to make both of our experiences better

What do CSR's do that aggravate you the most? What do we do/say that let's you know "hey, this person's legit"? Any other feedback is greatly appreciated

Kind of you to ask.

I don't find myself annoyed with Customer Service reps from DirecTV.

My issue with the company is that it is inexcusably behind on basic-cable high defintion channels. And the irritation I feel for that gets credited to those who actually run DirecTV.

#49 OFFLINE   DLancer

DLancer

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

No you dont. I have a Series 1 Tivo hooked to my H24. The Tivo sends the channel change command via a plug in IR emitter. The H24 hooks to the Tivo using composite. The H24 is locked to 480i. Works great. Have it in the guest room.

Did not know that. Still, that'd be for just SD, not HD. The THR-22, I believe is the only HD Tivo available. At least, its the only officially supported one.

#50 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thank you, I was not aware that a Tivo could control a DirecTV receiver. Unfortunately it is SD only
My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...