Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM 8 or SWM 16 needed?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hornmdt

hornmdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Any one have an opinion on whether it is better to use a CCK or just use the HR34 for Internet connectivity? Any technical reasons one way or the other?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Any one have an opinion on whether it is better to use a CCK or just use the HR34 for Internet connectivity? Any technical reasons one way or the other?

They should work exactly the same, "but" you may have problems with the tech, and it doesn't hurt to have one, even if it turns into a spare.
The 4-way splitters should be pushed to have him install, then a BB DECA [non wireless CCK] can be connected.
You could change it out and use the HR34, but if the HR34 acted up [some have], you can go back to the BB DECA.
Figure it's better to have more options than not enough.
There isn't ANY REASON for you to use 8-way splitters, with all the DVRs that you have, you could never need all the ports, and so there is no need to have the extra loss, and everything to gain (:lol:) by not.
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

You know its funny, up to about a week ago I would have said they're equal. But then I noticed this thread where dpeters11 and LoweBoy are having issues using the HR34 as the CCK.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=201537

So now I'm not so sure if it might cause problems using the HR34 for it ...

#44 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

I think at first they only had 8-ways in stock.
My mover's connection had them start with a 4-way, then think they needed an 8-way, and finally me showing them how a 4-way would work for everything.
I would have a 4-way on each output. This would take care of "today", and might leave a port or two free for other tuners in the future.

At the time I thought it might be due to the total misconception at that early point in time there was a needed correlation between the 8 tuners on each SWiM-16 leg and the number of available ports on the SWiM splitters. :rolleyes:

#45 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

You know its funny, up to about a week ago I would have said they're equal. But then I noticed this thread where dpeters11 and LoweBoy are having issues using the HR34 as the CCK.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=201537

So now I'm not so sure if it might cause problems using the HR34 for it ...

Not sure what problems they are encountering. I've been using the HR34 connection with no problerms for over a month.

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Not sure what problems they are encountering. I've been using the HR34 connection with no problerms for over a month.

The HR34 "should be" working as yours is, but some are having problems, so using the CCK is another option.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   hornmdt

hornmdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

Guys, Does the single coax from the SWiM splitter(s) to all 4 of my legacy receivers (HR20-700, HR22-100, HR23-700 (2)) go into the Sat 1 In input in order to make both tuners functional with the SWiM technology? My understanding is none require the Bandstop filter. The HR34 only has 1 Sat In so that one's not hard to figure out :).

Thanks

Edited by hornmdt, 08 February 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Each receiver will have the SWM input labeled.

#49 OFFLINE   hornmdt

hornmdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Each receiver will have the SWM input labeled.

Can't get to 3 of them easily therefore I don't want to tear them out until the tech gets here so I can't check them. However the HR20-700 doesn't say anything any SWiM on either of it's Sat inputs. Sat 1 In has (FTM) under it and the Sat 2 In says nothing else. Does the FTM mean something for future SWiM use?

#50 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

Does the FTM mean something for future SWiM use?

The terminology has changed; FTM is SWM.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#51 OFFLINE   hornmdt

hornmdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

The terminology has changed; FTM is SWM.

Thanks. That's my oldest DVR so if it has it the others should most certaintly do so too.

#52 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

And to your question, yes it will be the Sat 1 input that will also be SWM (or FTM).

#53 OFFLINE   hornmdt

hornmdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Well the switch over to SWiM & DECA went without a hitch. Not one problem. I was a little worried to begin with when the Directv Tech asked me what did DECA do? He just knew he had to put them on all the receivers. But I told him what I had learned here so off he went. I watched every move but did not learn anything new that I hadn't already in this forum. Many thanks to everyone who provided input.

He used one 8 way spllitter and one 4 way. I have already bought another 4 way off Ebay and will swap that out myself. He was certain that the CCK took up one of the SWiM's channels (since it connected to one of the outputs on the SWiM splitter I guess) and I didn't feel like trying to convince him otherwise. Just figured I'd fix it after he left. He did buy in on balancing the SWiM legs putting 7 tuners on one and 6 on the other however.

Tech called in to Directv to activate the new dvr and while he was on the line had the guy on the other end of the phone to notate that I was now in a supported MRV mode and took the time to explain to him that I was using my own home network and what he had switched me to. Don't guess I'll get to see if that was all that was needed to do unless I have a problem someday that I can't fix myself.

DECA is definitely a lot faster than my home network but still not as fast as I'd hoped (which was probably unrealistic in that I wanted to not be able to tell the difference on which box the show was recorded on) but there still is a slight 2 second delay between hitting play and it beginning to play as opposed to 6 seconds before. Can't tell as there's any slowdown between having the DVRs directly connected to my network switch and having everything go through the CCK to my network switch and on to the Internet.

I do have one question - the HR34 came with the old software. When will it be updated to the new black 1080p interface? Do I have to do anything like call in and ask for it or will it automatically happen some day? A little weird to have all my other dvrs on the new interface and this new one on the old especially now that it's my main receiver.

Thanks again.

#54 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

The HR34 updated software will be auto-downloaded to your receiver as soon as it is ready, and DirecTV schedules it for your area. Typically, roll-outs of new software is regional from west to east, but it has varied. No intervention by you is necessary, nor will any attempt to force it, work. Be patient.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#55 OFFLINE   hornmdt

hornmdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

The HR34 updated software will be auto-downloaded to your receiver as soon as it is ready, and DirecTV schedules it for your area. Typically, roll-outs of new software is regional from west to east, but it has varied. No intervention by you is necessary, nor will any attempt to force it, work. Be patient.:)

The HR34 dedicated support team at Directv told me that there were no plans at this time to go to the new software. The box is not stable enough yet. Also told me there would be no "Watch Now" On Demand Movies available for a little while too while they work out some bugs.

spam firewall