Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Un-Reality of Reality TV

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Is anyone else out there getting turned off by all the "reality" shows taking over tv? Maybe I'm in the minority, but most of this stuff is garbage. Yeah, they get ratings, but at some point I'd think people would start tuning these shows out.

Bickering housewives, obviously staged events, contestants/participants encouraged to act like spoiled brats, its all just so phony. But in a world of 200 channels, they draw what amounts to a large audience these days.

Last year, one of my once favorite channels - History - saw a huge increase in ratings. Was it from a 12-part series on the Chester A Arthur administration? an in-depth exploration of the women's suffrage movement? Nope. Ice Road Truckers and Pawn Stars. Arrrrrrrrrgh!
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've been turned off by them for years. The only "reality" show I have ever enjoyed watching is The Amazing Race, which is more like a sporting event than a reality show in my mind.

The worst is those shows like the Kardashians where everything is so obviously scripted. They hire writers who can't write for actors that can't act, and somehow people still watch. This is what the Mayans predicted...

#3 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

I agree, most of these shoes are horrible and you can easily tell it is all staged.

I do watch Pawn Stars, I know it is fake, but I like seeing some of the staged items brought in and a History lesson given. They obviously know what is being brought in ahead of time and they either do their homework, or are given information about the said item.

Way too many fake reality shows out there right now. The sad part is, you can easily tell they are fake.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

That's why I call'em Fakeality.

Ain't nuthin' 'real' about 'em.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,841 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

The reality shows I can't stand are those base around individuals or families.

Shows with a business-like atmosphere - Pawn Star, America Pickers, American Restoration, Storage Wars are fun and somewhat interesting.

The reality competition shows are watchable, but of little interest to me.

The adventure one like Ax Men are also somewhat interesting.

Edited by Drucifer, 31 January 2012 - 05:25 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,055 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

The reality shows I can' stand are those base around individuals or families.

Shows with a business-like atmosphere - Pawn Star, America Pickers, American Restoration, Storage Wars are fun and somewhat interesting.

The reality competition shows are watchable, but of little interest to me.

The adventure one like Ax Men are also somewhat interesting.

I think we found something we agree on. I would add shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race are more like extended game shows to me and I do quite enjoy them.

The Housewives, Real World and Jersey Shore are all shows I am proud to say I have never watched.

I figured I would put my opinion in here because every "reality show" thread I start someone has to pop in and tell us all how stupid the shows I like are. :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

I never got into reality shows in the first place.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

As others have stated, there's different types of reality shows.

I like Axe Men, Black Gold, Amazing Race, Survivor, America's Got Talent, COPS. etc.

I won't watch what Wikipedia refers to as DocuSoaps (The Simple Life, Hogan Knows Best, etc.), Lifestyle Changes (Celebrity Fit Club, Trading Spouses, etc.), Makeovers (Extreme Makeover, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, etc.), or Dating (Bachelor, Meet my Folks, etc.) type reality shows.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

I always considered Cops, at least the first few years, to be the only true reality program. Otherwise none them really keep my interest, unless American Idol is a reality show.

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#10 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

I don't know if the contests on Food Network are considered Reality TV but that's as close as I get. Never watched any of the other stuff.

#11 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

As others have stated, there's different types of reality shows.

I like Axe Men, Black Gold, Amazing Race, Survivor, America's Got Talent, COPS. etc.

I won't watch what Wikipedia refers to as DocuSoaps (The Simple Life, Hogan Knows Best, etc.), Lifestyle Changes (Celebrity Fit Club, Trading Spouses, etc.), Makeovers (Extreme Makeover, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, etc.), or Dating (Bachelor, Meet my Folks, etc.) type reality shows.

I used to like Black Gold too. It seems to be somewhat staged anymore....

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

I used to like Black Gold too. It seems to be somewhat staged anymore....

Bummer, I actually missed the last season (I think, not even sure when it is on/coming back - or is it on now?)

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Has there ever been a so-called reality show that isn't staged to some degree or other?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I watch:

"American Idol," "The X-Factor," "Dancing With The Stars," "Rachel Vs. Guy", etc. I am also going to try "The Voice" this year.

I enjoy some of the competition shows. I'd rather be tortured than watch the other kinds... :eek2:

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Bummer, I actually missed the last season (I think, not even sure when it is on/coming back - or is it on now?)

It's been on for several weeks. Not worth watching anymore. Pretty fake.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

I watch:

"American Idol," "The X-Factor," "Dancing With The Stars," "Rachel Vs. Guy", etc. I am also going to try "The Voice" this year.

I enjoy some of the competition shows. I'd rather be tortured than watch the other kinds...

Are competition shows nearly universally considered "reality shows"?

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

It's been on for several weeks. Not worth watching anymore. Pretty fake.

Weird, I could have sworn I searched for it a few weeks ago and just searched for it again. All I get are some VOD.

#18 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

I don't know if the contests on Food Network are considered Reality TV but that's as close as I get. Never watched any of the other stuff.

I sometimes watch Top Chef on Bravo and Chopped on Food Network, but I'm more interested in how inventive they are with creating great food (hot chilis in ice cream!?!?!?!) than I am in any drama between the personalities.

I think they get lumped in now since so many of them are designed to highlight the characters of the contestants. Old style game shows were about the game (Jeopardy is a modern classic) where the contestants were pretty much inter-changable.

Some people trace the origins of the modern "reality" genre to the first season of Real World on MTV. It was a groundbreaking show, and since nothing like it had been on tv in a long time, the participants were more "real" on camera than today's highly staged and scripted reality shows.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Yep... :rolleyes:

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Some people trace the origins of the modern "reality" genre to the first season of Real World on MTV. It was a groundbreaking show, and since nothing like it had been on tv in a long time, the participants were more "real" on camera than today's highly staged and scripted reality shows.

Ah, thanks. But that kinda means "An American Family", eg. The Loud Family- It was a PBS show in 1973- that's often cited as the first reality show- gets pushed to the back burner. The "Real World" didn't air till about 20 years later- so, yes, not done for a long time!

spam firewall