Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Un-Reality of Reality TV

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,438 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

What's even sadder is that people degrade others for what they watch. As if their viewing habits put them on an intellectual pedestal.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I used to really enjoy reality shows like Ax-Men but it has gotton so obviously faked that it's just like watching a soap opera.

Oh, I still watch it but it's not as exciting as it use to be for me. I just have to go into it expecting to see all sorts of staged events and know that it's strickly for entertainment purposes only.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#28 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Ah, thanks. But that kinda means "An American Family", eg. The Loud Family- It was a PBS show in 1973- that's often cited as the first reality show- gets pushed to the back burner. The "Real World" didn't air till about 20 years later- so, yes, not done for a long time!

I've seen some clips and interviews from American Family and it looks like an amazing piece of work. I think PBS may have done a special on it for the 20th anniversary. It probably set the stage for shows like Real World and others that came much later.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#29 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,937 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

The reality of it all (pun intended) is that there is a market for these shows (even 'real housewives'). If it wasn't a money maker, it wouldn't be on the air. "good" isn't a requirement. "watched" is.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,438 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

I've seen some clips and interviews from American Family and it looks like an amazing piece of work. I think PBS may have done a special on it for the 20th anniversary. It probably set the stage for shows like Real World and others that came much later.

HBO did a good movie about it called Cinema Verite. I believe it still comes on and might be in HBO's VOD section.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,116 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yes, it sure did. I watched it "live on tape", ie. when it aired. There were one or two family members who were loud in addition to being Loud. It got annoying, and my interest fell markedly.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

The reality of it all (pun intended) is that there is a market for these shows (even 'real housewives'). If it wasn't a money maker, it wouldn't be on the air. "good" isn't a requirement. "watched" is.

Sad but true...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,116 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

+1. Kinda like an ad: don't have to like it, don't have to think it clever, don't have to talk about it, but if you remember the product, it's effective.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#34 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,350 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

My wife and I are both big fans of reality shows but we enjoy some of the scripted ones, too...

1. Unscripted (reality) shows:

We watch Amazing Race, Survivor, America's Got Talent, X-Factor, American Idol, The Voice, Sing off, The Real Housewives of (insert city here), Whale Wars, Big Brother, Big Brother After Dark, Kitchen Nightmares, Undercover Boss, Top Chef (et al), The Apprentice (et al), Project Runway (et al), ANTM, SYTYCD, Man V Food, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Wheel of Fortune, Flying Wild Alaska, DWTS, Deadliest Catch, Bering Sea Gold, Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Ice Road Truckers, Jeopardy, IRT-somewhere... to name a few.

We stopped watching Axe Men, Black Gold, Gold Rush, Build it Big (et al), Emeril Lagasse-anything, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy, Tabatha-anything, The Fashion Show, Mobbed.

We've never watched, Jersey Shore, American Family, Kardashian (et al), Dirty Jobs, Jesse James-anything, The Bachelor, The Bachelorett, Biggest Loser. Actually, it's a pretty long list.

2. Scripted shows:

We like scripted, too (although these may be subject to heavy-handed cancellations)... Alcatraz, The Big C, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Homeland, V, Firefly, Touch, Harry's Law, Glee, House, Warehouse 13, Terra Nova, Caprica, Battlestar Galactica, Modern Marvels, The Universe, Planet Earth, and so on.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#35 OFFLINE   tnd777

tnd777

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I like the history part of Pawn Stars, but I am also sick of reality tv.

#36 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

[LEFT]My wife and I are both big fans of reality shows but we enjoy some of the scripted ones, too...

1. Unscripted (reality) shows:

We watch Amazing Race, Survivor, America's Got Talent, X-Factor, American Idol, The Voice, Sing off, The Real Housewives of (insert city here), Whale Wars, Big Brother, Big Brother After Dark, Kitchen Nightmares, Undercover Boss, Top Chef (et al), The Apprentice (et al), Project Runway (et al), ANTM, SYTYCD, Man V Food, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, ..... , Flying Wild Alaska, DWTS, Deadliest Catch, Bering Sea Gold, Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Ice Road Truckers, ..... , IRT-somewhere... to name a few.

Other than the couple of game shows I deleted, what makes you think any of those are 'unscripted'?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#37 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,350 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Other than the couple of game shows I deleted, what makes you think any of those are 'unscripted'?

Nothing ... what makes you think they are?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#38 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

I used to really enjoy reality shows like Ax-Men but it has gotton so obviously faked that it's just like watching a soap opera.

Oh, I still watch it but it's not as exciting as it use to be for me. I just have to go into it expecting to see all sorts of staged events and know that it's strickly for entertainment purposes only.

+1. I used to really enjoy the show, but now it's all about the "Characters" in each company. I'm actually surprised that Shelby hasn't killed someone yet. It seems like they only keep him around to do crazy and stupid things. Granted, he's also my favorite logger on the show.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#39 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Could someone give me a list of ten cable channels that don't ever show reality shows. I bet you can't.

#40 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,561 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Big Ten Network
QVC
HSN
Baby First
TCC
C-Span
EWTN
Gem Network
GTV
JTV
Sprout

What do I win?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#41 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,438 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Big Ten Network
QVC
HSN
Baby First
TCC
C-Span
EWTN
Gem Network
GTV
JTV
Sprout

What do I win?

BTN does...they have shows following certain basketball teams on & off the court.

#42 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,561 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Good thing I listed 11 then ;)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#43 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,438 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Good thing I listed 11 then ;)

Well played. :lol:

#44 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,496 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

PBS

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#45 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,438 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

PBS

No. Frontier House and Colonial House were 2 reality shows on PBS. Market Wars is an upcoming reality show.

#46 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Big Ten Network
QVC
HSN
Baby First
TCC
C-Span
EWTN
Gem Network
GTV
JTV
Sprout

What do I win?

Isn't it sad that those channels you listed are not mainstream channels. I remember in the back in the 90's almost all channels like bravo, tnt, sci fi, discovery had quality programming on it that was niche oriented based on what channel you tuned to. I'm trying to make a point that almost all major cable networks that once were once designed for a certain type of programming are all showing the same thing for the general masses. Its all about getting the highest ratings possible by butchering the channels original purpose.

#47 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 9,491 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

PBS

Antiques Roadshow.

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,618 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Some of them may not be scripted in that they tell on camera people what to say or cause particular events to happen, but the scripting happens in the editing room. Others are more scripted than that.

#49 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

I don't think any of the Nick channels show Fakeality. Or Disney for that matter. Can't swear to it though. I'd add Hub to the maybe list.

Encore Westerns.
Boomerang
Cartoon Network
ID
Cloo
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#50 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,496 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

I don't think any of the Nick channels show Fakeality...

I can confirm that there is no Fakeality on any of our channels. There is, however, some frollicking off-set.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...