Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Credit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Has anyone else had their HD credit "extended." Mine was suppposed to expire a few months ago but it keeps showing up on my bill, and the end dates keep extending.
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

R22's are NOT Worthless:)
Yes, I know I can't spell:grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Has anyone else had their HD credit "extended." Mine was suppposed to expire a few months ago but it keeps showing up on my bill, and the end dates keep extending.

I signed up for it a few days after it was first offered and the earliest bill I received showing the credit was May, 2010. I suspect that you may still have a few months of credit left.

#3 OFFLINE   marvod

marvod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I just activated my HR34 last week and asked about all my credits. Specifically about the Free HD credit. She told me it was still there and would continue for two years. Interesting...

Well 3 days later i got a card in the mail tell me that i now have free HD for two years. Same card i got almost two years ago.

My guess is it will continue and if it drops all you will need to do is call.

My two cents.

Mark
2 X HR24-500
1 X HR20-700
1 X HR34-700
1 X H24-700
AT-9 Dish
SWM-16

#4 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

thanks. my guess this is the beginning of the end for the HD charge
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Some of us thought that two years ago.

#6 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

DTV said my original credit hasn't expired yet.
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

thanks. my guess this is the beginning of the end for the HD charge

Don't bet on it. I just saw the new DirecTV ad in my last Sunday's newspaper and guess what? New customers do NOT get "free HD" anymore!! In fact, the package they are pushing for $29.95 is that loser "Entertainment" package!!

Meanwhile, I see DISH network has TRADEMARKED "free HD for life"!!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Don't bet on it. I just saw the new DirecTV ad in my last Sunday's newspaper and guess what? New customers do NOT get "free HD" anymore!! In fact, the package they are pushing for $29.95 is that loser "Entertainment" package!!

I am betting with you. Cant give free hd for life if they arent charging for it in the first place, and as of Feb 9th, with the all inclusive $20 charge for advanced equipment rolling HD into the mix with everything else, I think new customers are out of luck. Wondering if grandfathered customers will still be eligible for it, after their current promo expires?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I am betting with you. Cant give free hd for life if they arent charging for it in the first place, and as of Feb 9th, with the all inclusive $20 charge for advanced equipment rolling HD into the mix with everything else, I think new customers are out of luck. Wondering if grandfathered customers will still be eligible for it, after their current promo expires?

I think the only reason existing subs are still getting free HD is because their computer systems are so screwed up. CSR's tell people one thing. Post cards arrive in the mail stating something else. Some people are being told no more free HD because they got a different credit for something.

My guess is that sooner or later DirecTV is going to set an "end date" for ALL so-called "free HD" and that will be it. Then they will occasionally add HD to customers who were told they were getting "free HD for life" hoping they don't call in and complain just like they keep doing to people who signed up for "free DVR service for life" years ago.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

... In fact, the package they are pushing for $29.95 is that loser "Entertainment" package!!

That "loser" package has 39/40 most popular channels in HD...not bad.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

That "loser" package has 39/40 most popular channels in HD...not bad.

Whoppee. It doesn't even have "The Weather Channel" which is in every other competitor's lowest package. No USA no TBS no TNT no way!!! It's a loser.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Unless I'm reading the page wrong or the listing is broken, the Entertainment package has TNT, TBS, USA and TWC.

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Unless I'm reading the page wrong or the listing is broken, the Entertainment package has TNT, TBS, USA and TWC.

It does??? On February 9th I visited DirecTV.COM and looked at the package comparison to see if Entertainment could save me some money but quickly ruled it out due to the few channels I watch regularly not being included. It's possible that their comparison chart was wrong on February 9th so I'll look again for sure!!

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

I think he was going by the preliminary channel list posted on "the other site", not the one on DirecTv's website now. TWC was missing from the preliminary list. I see its on the D* website.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

It does??? On February 9th I visited DirecTV.COM and looked at the package comparison to see if Entertainment could save me some money but quickly ruled it out due to the few channels I watch regularly not being included. It's possible that their comparison chart was wrong on February 9th so I'll look again for sure!!

Well, last I looked, according to the comparison, I only get something like 4 channels, so who knows. I've gone years without having access to the Audience/101 Network according to them :)

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

I think he was going by the preliminary channel list posted on "the other site", not the one on DirecTv's website now. TWC was missing from the preliminary list. I see its on the D* website.

I knew there were reasons I never go there. I'd forgotten about it until I saw that post on here.

#17 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

The web site was screwed up. ENTERTAINMENT isn't really that bad a package now that I looked at what it contained by downloading the channel list for it.

But unfortunately, some of the channels I enjoy the most (Science, Military, DIY, etc.) aren't in it. So I guess I'll stick with Choice Extra Classic for the time being.

#18 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

I called and asked for the HD credit since my bill is auto paid through Century Link. They told me that credit is not offered any longer, but they would give me a $10 programming credit for 1 year. I am supposed to call and check on it again in 1 year. Strange....

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

DirecTV's website advertises "Free HD with every package!" for new customers.

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

I called and asked for the HD credit since my bill is auto paid through Century Link. They told me that credit is not offered any longer, but they would give me a $10 programming credit for 1 year. I am supposed to call and check on it again in 1 year. Strange....

So you are saying they told you they no longer offer free HD for auto billpay customers? But did it anyway, on a year by year basis?

That is interesting to know. When I restarted my contract at Christmas by leasing an HR34, I did not take into consideration they might start trying to charge me that extra $10 per month again. Since I cant drop it without returning the HR34, and since I seriously doubt they would release me from the contract if I did, even though it was the cause of the contract, and they wont let me use it without HD access, I was kind of in a quandary what I was going to do if they wouldnt extend the free HD. A year should be sufficient. I was hoping I wouldnt have to drop to Entertainment to stay under my $100/mo self imposed limit.

spam firewall