Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Credit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

DirecTV's website advertises "Free HD with every package!" for new customers.

Technically, that is correct, since new customers have to pay the "Advanced receiver" fee of $20 which includes DVR, HD, and MRV. Semantics.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

DirecTV's website advertises "Free HD with every package!" for new customers.

Technically, that is correct, since new customers have to pay the "Advanced receiver" fee of $20 which includes DVR, HD, and MRV. Semantics.

When I try to sign up as a new customer at DirecTV's website, I select The new Entertainment package at $29.99/mo. promotional pricing (reg. $54.99/mo.). It offers me free Advanced Receiver HD service for 24 months w/Auto Bill Pay (regular $10/mo. extra). If I do not select Auto Bill Pay, I get the same promotional pricing of $29.99/mo., but no HD service.

#23 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yeah, I did a new customer config the other day. The new deal is $10 off for the 2 year contract, which is basically HD free for 2 years. So it appears they'v done away with the FreeHD for life for new customers, instead only having an ensured 2 year rebate for it. But there is also a note that changing your package could affect the discounts.

Under my contract, I have to stay at Xtra or better to keep my FreeHD for Life, as well as use AutoPay. In my case, Xtra is the minimum I would want anyway.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#24 OFFLINE   tritch

tritch

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Has anyone tried to lower their package down to the new "Entertainment" package and still able to keep the 24 month free HD access credit? I seem to remember the email that I received after getting the credit that you must maintain the Choice package or higher w/ auto bill pay to keep the credit. I'm just wondering if this policy has been altered with the new package available.
Directv customer since 1995
HR24-500 w/ AM21

#25 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

That is interesting to know. When I restarted my contract at Christmas by leasing an HR34, I did not take into consideration they might start trying to charge me that extra $10 per month again. Since I cant drop it without returning the HR34, and since I seriously doubt they would release me from the contract if I did, even though it was the cause of the contract, and they wont let me use it without HD access, I was kind of in a quandary what I was going to do if they wouldnt extend the free HD. A year should be sufficient. I was hoping I wouldnt have to drop to Entertainment to stay under my $100/mo self imposed limit.

WHOA!! :eek2:

Are you saying they started charging you again after you restarted your contract, or that you were wondering if they would?! :confused:

~Alan

#26 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Has anyone tried to lower their package down to the new "Entertainment" package and still able to keep the 24 month free HD access credit? I seem to remember the email that I received after getting the credit that you must maintain the Choice package or higher w/ auto bill pay to keep the credit. I'm just wondering if this policy has been altered with the new package available.

I got my first bill 2 days ago since switching to Entertainment and still got the credit. I don't know the official policy.

Edited by mdavej, 20 February 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   tritch

tritch

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

I got my first bill 2 days ago since switching to Entertainment and still got the credit. I don't know the official policy.

Good to know. I will try switching from Ultimate to Entertainment and see what happens....
Directv customer since 1995
HR24-500 w/ AM21

#28 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I just got an email from them saying unless I switch to autopay billing, I'll be losing my $10 credit and paying for HD. Pisses me off b/c I am doing combined billing with Century Link and I enjoy getting one bill per month instead of 3 (internet, phone, cell phone). But I just dropped their phone service, so I guess I can go back to getting 3 different bills. PITA.

#29 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

A few months ago when I called to ask about the $10 HD credit for 2 years I was told by CSR that she couldn't do that but would instead give me $20 credit for 1 year. Go figure

#30 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I just got an email from them saying unless I switch to autopay billing, I'll be losing my $10 credit and paying for HD. Pisses me off b/c I am doing combined billing with Century Link and I enjoy getting one bill per month instead of 3 (internet, phone, cell phone). But I just dropped their phone service, so I guess I can go back to getting 3 different bills. PITA.

I am on combined billing with Century Link as well. I called Direct TV and they said they don't offer the HD credit for auto billing any longer, but that she would give me $10 per month account credit for 1 year. I am to check back in 1 year.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

I am on combined billing with Century Link as well. I called Direct TV and they said they don't offer the HD credit for auto billing any longer, but that she would give me $10 per month account credit for 1 year. I am to check back in 1 year.

so are they pulling us off of this? My deal runs through June and I had the credit on the last bill, I believe.

Here is what my bill shows

Related Monthly Charges
01/28 Leased Receiver 6.00
01/28 Primary Leased Receiver 6.00
01/27 PLUS HD DVR -10.00
24 Months Free HD Access
01/28 Primary Leased Receiver -6.00
Related Monthly Charges Total $2.00

#32 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,115 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

so are they pulling us off of this? My deal runs through June and I had the credit on the last bill, I believe.

Related Monthly Charges
01/27 PLUS HD DVR -10.00
24 Months Free HD Access

I have no idea if they are pulling out. I was merely commenting to Deftones that he can still get a credit without changing from combined billing. I know they told me no more HD credit, but I believe others are still getting it when they call. It could very well be another CSR roulette game.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#33 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Related Monthly Charges
01/27 PLUS HD DVR -10.00
24 Months Free HD Access

I just got my first bill since the new prices/names came into effect. I have three receivers (HD-DVR, SD-DVR and SD), and the bill read:

Advanced Receiver HD $10
Advanced Receiver DVR $8
Additional TV $6
Additional TV $6
Advanced Receiver HD 24 months free HD Access - $10 credit

So that worked out. Now if only I could do something about the programming costs....

#34 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

I just had both of my HR20's go bad a couple of weeks ago and were replaced by 2 new HR24's under the protection plan. Earlier this week I received an e-mail from DirecTv reminding me of the minimum requirements (auto bill pay, subscription requirements) to keep the HD credit for 24 months. Also just received a post card yesterday confirming the e-mail saying that I would be receiving HD credit for 24 months.

I believe my original 24 month credit is due to come up this summer. From the e-mail and post card, it appears that I am now getting an additional 24 months starting this month. Guess we'll see what happens.

HR24-100 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony One
HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony 880
HR21-700 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| Harmony 880

#35 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

I just had both of my HR20's go bad a couple of weeks ago and were replaced by 2 new HR24's under the protection plan. Earlier this week I received an e-mail from DirecTv reminding me of the minimum requirements (auto bill pay, subscription requirements) to keep the HD credit for 24 months. Also just received a post card yesterday confirming the e-mail saying that I would be receiving HD credit for 24 months.

I believe my original 24 month credit is due to come up this summer. From the e-mail and post card, it appears that I am now getting an additional 24 months starting this month. Guess we'll see what happens.

Let us know how that pans out. If swapping out the HD-DVR every 23 months keeps the HD credit, that will be pretty sweet (as we no longer own any receivers!)

#36 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Don't bet on it. I just saw the new DirecTV ad in my last Sunday's newspaper and guess what? New customers do NOT get "free HD" anymore!! In fact, the package they are pushing for $29.95 is that loser "Entertainment" package!!

Meanwhile, I see DISH network has TRADEMARKED "free HD for life"!!!

Yup that is right but it's probably built into the bill somehow.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#37 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

My husband just wrote DirecTV recently because the end of our two year free HD is coming up. He wanted D* to extend it and he was told it was no longer being offer to any customers any more! I can see it for those of us who just got the free HD for two years, but they signed up new customers and told them they would have free HD for Life. How is D* going to get away with taking it away from those customers now? :rolleyes:

#38 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yup that is right but it's probably built into the bill somehow.

I'm sure it is, but with no free hd for new customers for D*, if that is correct, the pricing difference in subscription packages is even more skewed in E*'s favor.

Edit: I just checked with D* online. New customers are getting Free HD with Entertainment and up. It is worded a bit differently now, but it is the same as the last deals for new customers was.

Edited by lparsons21, 19 May 2012 - 04:19 PM.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#39 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

E* is really making improvements now. I saw the headline here on site that DISH Tops DIRECTV and Cable in Customer Satisfaction in 2012 American Customer Satisfaction Index.

#40 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'm sure it is, but with no free hd for new customers for D*, if that is correct, the pricing difference in subscription packages is even more skewed in E*'s favor.

Edit: I just checked with D* online. New customers are getting Free HD with Entertainment and up. It is worded a bit differently now, but it is the same as the last deals for new customers was.

Then why did the CR lie to my husband? :rolleyes:

spam firewall