Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need a dirt cheap stereo receiver

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

I want to put some old speakers (25 year old Polk studio monitors) in my garage to good use. I'm gonig to mount them in the corners but I need a basic receiver to power them.

Any suggestions for a place to get a good dirt cheap basic used stereo receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

ebay or craigslist
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,069 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

I want to put some old speakers (25 year old Polk studio monitors) in my garage to good use.

I've got a pair of those and they still sound great.

Define dirt cheap.

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Goodwill
Target/Kmart/Walmart UGH
The "Shack"

I've cleaned out my garage and basement of all the stereo receivers, cassette decks and the like so no joy here.

Don "stereo? How quaint:p" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

How high are you willing to go in price? You might try Fry's or BB for open box stereos. Otherwise, check ebay or local paper classified ads. You might also try local Goodwill or Salvation Army store.
As to retail: B&H has a Pyle Pro PT260A AM/FM receiver for $73.33. Amazon has it for $72.91. Both offer free shipping.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Try the consignment shops in your area...

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

I agree with the others mainly because receivers tend to be very heavy and end up being expensive to ship. A local tv repair shop may have something for you too.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Local Pawn Shop
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#9 OFFLINE   Nurseryman

Nurseryman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Maybe open box at Best Buy?

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Your speakers woofers havent dry rotted after all that time?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

My father just bought a surround Kenwood at the flea market for $60

Edited by armophob, 01 February 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Flea market...good idea. I went to the local Goodwill store and there was an old Sony stereo receiver for $20. The cord had been cut and knobs were missing. Pawn shops are expensive generally. Maybe garage sales coming up.

Define cheap? Free! but probably less than $50. I've had 2 old receivers that I gave away...dumb me.

Maybe I should take my current AV receiver and put it in the garage and get a new one! Boy, would the wife let me know about that!

Edited by dmspen, 02 February 2012 - 09:51 AM.
i before e except after c...

#13 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 813 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

I went through this a couple of years ago for my garage and my dad's garage. We wanted something that would let us play music in the garage and also power some outdoor speakers for the pool. We ended up spending around $100 and picked up one of the boom boxes/stereo's with detachable speakers from Wal-Mart because we also wanted to be able to play CD's and I needed an MP3 input. I could have done the MP3 input with a composite to headphone adapter, but the CD part is what forced us to go with the all in one solution (I had given away my Sony 6 disk CD player about a year earlier and was kicking myself when I ended up needing it again).

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Flea market...good idea. I went to the local Goodwill store and there was an old Sony stereo receiver for $20. The cord had been cut and knobs were missing. Pawn shops are expensive generally. Maybe garage sales coming up.

Define cheap? Free! but probably less than $50. I've had 2 old receivers that I gave away...dumb me.

Maybe I should take my current AV receiver and put it in the garage and get a new one! Boy, would the wife let me know about that!

I have a good Sony receiver, but the cost of shipping would be prohibitive. I did sell a couple of them on eBay when that model was new. Shame you don't live near me.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

I have a good Sony receiver, but the cost of shipping would be prohibitive. I did sell a couple of them on eBay when that model was new. Shame you don't live near me.

Rich

I was born in New Jersey though...

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

I was born in New Jersey though...

Good for YOU!

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Your speakers woofers havent dry rotted after all that time?

Polk Audio, from day one, has always used butyl rubber surrounds on their woofers. It's the funky foam surrounds that dry rot.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#18 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Polk Audio, from day one, has always used butyl rubber surrounds on their woofers. It's the funky foam surrounds that dry rot.

Maybe I'll pull the fronts off and look. Maybe I'll even hook them up to my system in the house to see if they are still viable.

I got these from my brother in about 1985. He worked for Good Guys and bought them for cheap (floor models).

#19 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

After scouring Craigs List for a while, I finally purchased a Sony receiver for $35. It's in good condition. The guy updated his home theater and the receiver went to his garage.

Now I need to hook it up and figure out how to hook up my iPhone...shouldn't be too hard.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

After scouring Craigs List for a while, I finally purchased a Sony receiver for $35. It's in good condition. The guy updated his home theater and the receiver went to his garage.

Now I need to hook it up and figure out how to hook up my iPhone...shouldn't be too hard.

You're gonna love the manual....:nono2:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...