Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

question

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Slipped a decimal point. Should be $1.92..
Otherwise good explanation.

Whoopsie.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Well, maybe it would depend on who's on the TV, LOL!

Have you ever read the "ST30" thread at AVS forums? I did before I bought my ST30, [ for homework purposes] and recently went back to see what was new, lot of people complaining about "pink tint" and "green globs" and buzz issue,[ fluctuating brightness also].

Rarely go to AVS. Feel like an outsider.

I guess I lucked out, occasionally I notice the "FBR" but I really don't want to mess with this TV. The picture seemed to get even better overtime. I never ran the slides [ are you kidding?]. I do have one question tho, maybe you know the answer to, In some programs [ more noticable SD than HD, I think?] You can have 2 people or more in one scene, and the complexion of one of the persons will be blotchy/reddish, and the others are fine. What is that? Do you notice that at all on your ST:confused:

[ I base my settings on complexion, seems to work for me]

Appreciate your input.

I do mine on complexions too. I also make sure the flags are truly red, white and blue. There is a part of the manual that touches on fixing the PQ, but I haven't done it yet.

I have three 1080p Panny plasmas and I see the complexions on different people aren't quite right at times on all of them. I think it's got a lot to do with how much makeup the people have on. That and the ambient light. Some of the shows seem to be filmed with colored filters. CSI:Miami is a perfect example of that.

I just bought a 42" plasma last year and it's just rounding into shape now. Don't use it much, but as time passes the PQ does get better. I didn't do the slides either. Too lazy.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Rarely go to AVS. Feel like an outsider.

I do mine on complexions too. I also make sure the flags are truly red, white and blue. There is a part of the manual that touches on fixing the PQ, but I haven't done it yet.

I have three 1080p Panny plasmas and I see the complexions on different people aren't quite right at times on all of them. I think it's got a lot to do with how much makeup the people have on. That and the ambient light. Some of the shows seem to be filmed with colored filters. CSI:Miami is a perfect example of that.

I just bought a 42" plasma last year and it's just rounding into shape now. Don't use it much, but as time passes the PQ does get better. I didn't do the slides either. Too lazy.

Rich

Yeah, I read somewhere about the makeup issue too. I only have 1 plasma, and nothing to realy compare it to. I guess if the complexion problem is across three tv's, I'm thinking then it is a source issue as well, and not TV specific. It seems I notice it more on SD broadcasts, and less on a real good HD broadcast [ like the world series, as example] or premium channels [ when I had them]. My bedroom crt lost a speaker last week, so it looks like I'll be shopping again.

AVS is good for info, I rarely posted there, although there were some friendly souls, they can be quite rabid at times. I just gleaned what I needed.

Thanks for the input!
chris

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yeah, I read somewhere about the makeup issue too. I only have 1 plasma, and nothing to realy compare it to. I guess if the complexion problem is across three tv's, I'm thinking then it is a source issue as well, and not TV specific. It seems I notice it more on SD broadcasts, and less on a real good HD broadcast [ like the world series, as example] or premium channels [ when I had them]. My bedroom crt lost a speaker last week, so it looks like I'll be shopping again.

AVS is good for info, I rarely posted there, although there were some friendly souls, they can be quite rabid at times. I just gleaned what I needed.

Thanks for the input!
chris

You're welcome.

Here's some more: I saw some ads for the show Undercover Boss that was on this week and it piqued my interest so I recorded it. I watched it yesterday on my 42" 1080p set and the colors were perfect. Then, I went upstairs and watched it on the 60" set and it was virtually the same. All the complexions looked the same on both sets. That show is a reality show, if you haven't seen it, and they didn't apply all that makeup to the very diverse group of folks who made up the show. The fast food shops the show took place in (Rally and Checkers, never heard of them) were loaded with red and it came over perfectly on both sets.

Last night we watched an episode of Revenge on ABC, broadcast in 720p. It was very obvious that it wasn't in 1080i, didn't have the sharpness of the content on CBS or NBC. Never noticed that on my 42" or 50" 1080p sets.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

You're welcome.

Here's some more: I saw some ads for the show Undercover Boss that was on this week and it piqued my interest so I recorded it. I watched it yesterday on my 42" 1080p set and the colors were perfect. Then, I went upstairs and watched it on the 60" set and it was virtually the same. All the complexions looked the same on both sets. That show is a reality show, if you haven't seen it, and they didn't apply all that makeup to the very diverse group of folks who made up the show. The fast food shops the show took place in (Rally and Checkers, never heard of them) were loaded with red and it came over perfectly on both sets.

Last night we watched an episode of Revenge on ABC, broadcast in 720p. It was very obvious that it wasn't in 1080i, didn't have the sharpness of the content on CBS or NBC. Never noticed that on my 42" or 50" 1080p sets.

Rich

thanks, I will pay closer attention, and tune in undercover boss and see how it appears on my 50st30.

I don't know what service provider you have, so how can you tell when a program is being broadcast in 720?

I watched an old rerun of NYPD blue last week [ of course it's not HD] and it had the "blotchy compexion on one person, but not the other" issue.
So, makeup , or resolution, or both? I'm kind of thinking both.

I take it you watched "revenge" on your 60"st30 ?

Also, if memory serves me, you stated on a previous post you didn't do much with the settings on your new 60", correct?

#26 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

The fast food shops the show took place in (Rally and Checkers, never heard of them) were loaded with red and it came over perfectly on both sets.

Rich

According to my brother there is a Checkers in Springfield in the center island of Route 22 if you are curious. Which means you need to be in the left hand lane when the center island starts.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

thanks, I will pay closer attention, and tune in undercover boss and see how it appears on my 50st30.

I don't know what service provider you have, so how can you tell when a program is being broadcast in 720?

I have DirecTv. I've usually been able to tell if a program is in 720p or 1080i on any set, but I've never seen it so obvious as it is on the 60" set. Guess it gets more noticeable as you go up in size on the TVs. If you look at the remote for your TV, somewhere in the middle of the remote you'll see an "Info" button. Click on that and it will tell you what resolution it is receiving.

I watched an old rerun of NYPD blue last week [ of course it's not HD] and it had the "blotchy compexion on one person, but not the other" issue.
So, makeup , or resolution, or both? I'm kind of thinking both.

I think I know what you mean. That's just how SD shows up on some of the programs. I don't watch many SD programs.

I take it you watched "revenge" on your 60"st30?

Yes and we watched a show on Fox last night and it was the same way. CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i and Fox and ABC broadcast in 720p. No idea why.

Also, if memory serves me, you stated on a previous post you didn't do much with the settings on your new 60", correct?

Yup, I'm gonna give it a month or so to burn in and then I'll see what corrections I need. Fortunately, I have two other Panny 1080p sets to compare it to. You do need to factor that burn in time into setting them up.

I didn't like the picture on my 50" 1080p set when I got it and after a couple months I reset it to factory settings and it has settled down so much I've never changed any of them.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

According to my brother there is a Checkers in Springfield in the center island of Route 22 if you are curious. Which means you need to be in the left hand lane when the center island starts.

Cheers

Huh. Never noticed it. In that section of 22, I'm usually in fear of my life and keep my eyes on the road. That middle island is dangerous.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

[/QUOTE][quote name='Rich']I have DirecTv. I've usually been able to tell if a program is in 720p or 1080i on any set, but I've never seen it so obvious as it is on the 60" set. Guess it gets more noticeable as you go up in size on the TVs. If you look at the remote for your TV, somewhere in the middle of the remote you'll see an "Info" button. Click on that and it will tell you what resolution it is receiving.

"Well, I've got dish, and the info button only shows what satellite your on. unless I'm missing something, but so far I can't find it"[/QUOTE]

I think I know what you mean. That's just how SD shows up on some of the programs. I don't watch many SD programs.

"Normally I don't either, unless it's something I prefer."

[/QUOTE]Yes and we watched a show on Fox last night and it was the same way. CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i and Fox and ABC broadcast in 720p. No idea why.

"Here is what has me thinking: I too watched fox [" house" and it had the blotchy complexion issue] then "alcatraz" No blotchy compexion issue. Then news at 10 [ Local, and they wear enough makeup! No blotchy issue. All commercials across the three programs were perfect. So, I've come to the conclusion it is how the particular program is filmed that determines the complexion issue. Like you previously stated, could be lighting, filters, etc.... so your deduction was spot on. Resolution had nothing to do with it."

Yup, I'm gonna give it a month or so to burn in and then I'll see what corrections I need. Fortunately, I have two other Panny 1080p sets to compare it to. You do need to factor that burn in time into setting them up.

I didn't like the picture on my 50" 1080p set when I got it and after a couple months I reset it to factory settings and it has settled down so much I've never changed any of them.

Rich[/QUOTE]

Is your 60 the only ST30 model? Would you buy another 60" knowing it shows more flaws? [ I read that last year before I bought mine, that the bigger the screen, the better the chance of seeing more flaws]

Edited by satcrazy, 21 February 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Is your 60 the only ST30 model? Would you buy another 60" knowing it shows more flaws? [ I read that last year before I bought mine, that the bigger the screen, the better the chance of seeing more flaws]

No, the ST30s come in a 65" version and a 50" version and I'd imagine they come in a 42" version.

The flaws aren't in the TVs as much as they are in the broadcasts. Can't fault Panny for that. If all the channels broadcast in 1080i/p, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I've found that after the initial shock of seeing the difference between the 1080i and the 720p broadcasts, I quickly get used to it.

Now for my big question: Do big LCD sets have this same problem?

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

No, the ST30s come in a 65" version and a 50" version and I'd imagine they come in a 42" version.

The flaws aren't in the TVs as much as they are in the broadcasts. Can't fault Panny for that. If all the channels broadcast in 1080i/p, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I've found that after the initial shock of seeing the difference between the 1080i and the 720p broadcasts, I quickly get used to it.

Now for my big question: Do big LCD sets have this same problem?

Rich

Sorry, I should have asked, is your 60" ST30 the only ST30 set you own?

That's what I have. A 50" ST30.

Good question about the big LCD's, maybe someone will chime in......

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

Sorry, I should have asked, is your 60" ST30 the only ST30 set you own?

That's what I have. A 50" ST30.

Yup, have no idea what models the other two 1080p sets are. Would have to find the manuals. I think my 50" set is a...I dunno, I can't move it and I can't remember. I bought it a few years ago because I got a great price on it.

Good question about the big LCD's, maybe someone will chime in......

Be nice if someone would....

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I had a 46" LCD and my 52" LCoS prior to my two plasmas and projector running at 108" and can say that the difference between 720p and 1080i content has always been apparent.
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#34 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I had a 46" LCD and my 52" LCoS prior to my two plasmas and projector running at 108" and can say that the difference between 720p and 1080i content has always been apparent.

I'm realy curious, how would you compare the Lcos to plasma?

I've read alot about lcd vs plasma, but not much on lcos vs plasma.

what are the drawbacks to lcos?

#35 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

You do realize that LCoS is a projection technology, NOT flat screen. You can't really compare the 2 equally.
The 52" he spoke of was an old 52" Rear Projection TV. The only rear projection TVs still available 'new' these days, is Mitsubishi's DLP sets.
In front projection, JVC seems to be the favored LCoS. They do look rather good when setup properly.

#36 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

You do realize that LCoS is a projection technology, NOT flat screen. You can't really compare the 2 equally.

It is perfectly reasonable to compare the picture on a flat screen versus a front projector versus a rear projector versus a CRT.

What you require may be limited by space but picture quality has no dimensions.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#37 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

For me there is no comparison regarding brightness, black levels, and viewing angles.

However, LCoS is a great technology that is somewhat like a hybrid of DLP and LCD projection with both of their strengths combined. The size for price ratio was great and it exhibited no input lag for gaming.

Now that I have two V-series plasmas, I could never go back but at the time, it made for a fantastic rear projection display.
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#38 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

It is perfectly reasonable to compare the picture on a flat screen versus a front projector versus a rear projector versus a CRT.

Not just space. Remember when you deal with ANY projection system (front or rear), lighting in the room becomes a BIG factor. Also viewing angles become very important.
Yes you can compare picture quality, they are all video displays after all. But the use for flat panels vs. projection is very different. So again I say, not a fair comparison unless all environmental and location parameters are meet for the projection display.
Projection systems are far more limited in where and how they can be installed. That usually means I see projection systems install where they shouldn't and/or watched in ways they shouldn't. Then the customer complains about the picture quality when it's not the technologies fault. It's the fault of the uneducated person who bought and/or installed the wrong kind of video system, or at least didn't properly plan for it.

#39 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

You do realize that LCoS is a projection technology, NOT flat screen. You can't really compare the 2 equally.The 52" he spoke of was an old 52" Rear Projection TV. The only rear projection TVs still available 'new' these days, is Mitsubishi's DLP sets.
In front projection, JVC seems to be the favored LCoS. They do look rather good when setup properly.

I guess I do now.
learn something new everyday.

#40 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

I thought so.

Mutelight's last line tells me all I need to know

thanks, guys

spam firewall